Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

In a few hours, the 2009 MLS Campaign will begin anew in the Northwest where the expansion Seattle Sounders FC will take on the reigning Western Conference champions Red Bull New York (yes, you read that correctly, Western Conference).

The defending champions, the Columbus Crew, begin their title defense on the road against the previous champions, the Houston Dynamo.

Expansion is all but settled for now as MLS will welcome Philadelphia in 2010; and Vancouver and Portland in 2011.

For a further analysis of the season: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Major_League_Soccer_season

Unlike last year, I have higher expectations and anticipate successes for the league and DC United and cannot wait to experience all the twists and turns to unfold upon us.

Predictions:

East:

Chicago

Columbus

Toronto

D. C.

New York

New England

Kansas City

West:

Salt Lake

Chivas

Seattle

Houston

Los Angeles

San Jose

Dallas

Colorado

BOLD - Playoffs

MLS Cup: Chicago vs. Chivas

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking forward to Toronto's season this year. They had a big hole up front which they filled with Paulo Vitti. Appearently him and Barrett are really clicking. We now have of the best midfielders in MLS history on our team now. Goalkeeping is strong with Frei and Sutton. We have solid Full backs with Wynne and Brennan. The only weak spot is central defense with Serioux, Harmse, and Velez. I hear we may sign a big name for bolster the back line. One can hope.

1zqy8ok.gif

This will be the year the Revs finally go to the finals and actually win the MLS Cup! :rolleyes:

Really? Did I miss the story about the Krafts selling the team to investor/operators who would spend up to the MLS salary-cap limit, use all available roster spots throughout the season, and operate the franchise as if it were more than simply a way to generate event dates at Gillette Stadium during the NFL off-season.

Now I did hear this earlier and I have to agree. Why did the MLS decide to open their season THIS WEEKEND, especially tonight? NCAA dates for sub-regionals are made 3-4 years before, so the MLS had to know that there would be less interest in watching if one starts on the opening day of the NCAA tournament. I will assume ESPN had a hand in this since they needed programming (then again the WBC is on as well).

I just hope to see more quakes games on locally.

This will be the year the Revs finally go to the finals and actually win the MLS Cup! :rolleyes:

Really? Did I miss the story about the Krafts selling the team to investor/operators who would spend up to the MLS salary-cap limit, use all available roster spots throughout the season, and operate the franchise as if it were more than simply a way to generate event dates at Gillette Stadium during the NFL off-season.

If only...

Since Atlanta ain't getting a team any time soon, and I really want to have an interest in the MLS, I've decided that the team that I will follow (and I use that word very loosely) will be the Sounders...only because of the uniforms. :P

EDIT: I admire the Sounders...but I've latched onto the Galaxy :P

The question of the moment: Is Seattle a pretty decent expansion team, or is RBNY just that damned bad?

I can't see Seattle finishing above second last. Sure it was a great display, but their defence is bad, I mean worse than Toronto bad. I think opening up your history infront of 30k screaming fans helped them a lot (If only TFC could've opened at home instead of in LA).

1zqy8ok.gif

Sounders FC should have another boisterous crowd tomorrow versus RSL. It will be a sellout:

The Seattle Sounders have sold out their second home game of the season.

The Major League Soccer expansion team announced Friday that it has sold all the 27,000 seats available for the March 28 match against Real Salt Lake.

The team has had a strong fan response so far for its inaugural season. The Sounders? first game against the New York Red Bulls attracted more than 32,000 people.

For that first match, the Sounders opened up more of Seattle?s Qwest Field for seating than it originally had set aside.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories...ml?ana=from_rss

The MLS is paying off big time by putting a team in Seattle!

They need something that doesn't suck.

Sadly "The Doveslayers" probably aren't it.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived