Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Agreed.

Maybe this is just my homerism showing, but I wonder why DC United's never looked into Virginia for land. I've always thought that there was plenty of soccer fans across the Potomac to justify looking over here.

i think theres a perception (fair or not) that Virginia govts are hard to work with when it comes to getting land for a stadium. which could be true considering the Redskins hightailed it from DC to MD, Caps/Bullets moved from MD to DC with no look to VA. i think it could be a good thing that MacF has given up his ownership, Chang seems to be much more emotionally invested in the team, and he wants a stadium and a stadium only, whereas MacF wanted all sorts of shops bars restaurants etc etc to go along with the stadium in order to grow his own bottom line. we'll see how it works out but i see good things happening for United.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whoa! I didn't know there was a MLS thread on this site. Can't seem to get past the Logos and Concept pages.

Just saw my Reds take down the Revs 3-1. Good match, very physical, alot of yellow at the end, but the result is all good.

Toronto has for the first time come from behind to win a match. Yes we've been that bad for the entirety of our history. Good news is one win in the Canadian Championship means we're in the Champions League.
Hold it. You mean one win over Vancouver. Vancouver and Toronto can still tie at 9, after all.

LvZYtbZ.png

Some non-soccer sports show was mentioning Chicago's unbeaten record. So I looked at the standings...6 of their 9 games have ended in ties. That's pretty lame...

There's been too many draws (ties) to the season already.....and now it's 6 of 10 but still pretty bad.

It's really difficult to gauge the quality of each club based on their level of play and add in that there have been so many draws (ties), 62 out of 150 matches, or -- 41.3% (!!!) -- a third into the season doesn't help either. But here's an attempt:

Power (or lack thereof) Rankings:

1 Chivas

2 Chicago

3 Seattle

4 Toronto

5 DC

6 Houston

7 Colorado

8 Kansas City

9 Salt Lake

10 Los Angeles

11 New England

12 Columbus

13 New York

14 Dallas

15 San Jose

You know maybe they need to take a page out of the NHL's book and have a shootout at the end of games, giving 2 points to the team that wins said shoot out.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You know maybe they need to take a page out of the NHL's book and have a shootout at the end of games, giving 2 points to the team that wins said shoot out.

You might as well just suggest MLB holds home run derbies if the score is tied after the bottom of the ninth.

Right, so then the players will start throwing the games so at least one team gets points. Definitely.
Not necessarily. If one team is draw-limited, and the other is not, it'll force the draw-limited team to try and score, because they don't get a point out of the draw (but the other team, who hasn't hit the limit yet, still does.)

By the way, to be fair, the Bundesliga was at 48% draws, if my math is right. I counted 148 ties in 304 games.

LvZYtbZ.png

It's not a big problem at all IMO. It's no different than having "too many extra inning games in baseball"? Is that obscene? No. In baseball, that's just the way it is. It's the same deal in soccer. It's just that they're two different sports with countless incomparable differences.

It's not a big problem at all IMO. It's no different than having "too many extra inning games in baseball"? Is that obscene? No. In baseball, that's just the way it is. It's the same deal in soccer. It's just that they're two different sports with countless incomparable differences.

Except that baseball games continue until somebody wins. That's the point of the extra innings...

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Except that baseball games continue until somebody wins. That's the point of the extra innings...

No kidding, but that's why I said that the two sports are incomparable. Soccer has ties and baseball doesn't. That's just the way it is. If you don't like it you should probably just watch a sport like baseball or football.

The most ties in a season by one club is 13. Los Angeles currently has 8 ties through 10 matches!

Archived