Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Look out, but Seattle's now 3-0. Sure, the third win was at Toronto, but Toronto was undefeated going into it,. Seattle controlled much of the game. A fantastic movement led to the first Seattle goal, which was Freddie Ljungberg's first MLS goal; the second goal was a bit lucky.

Break, did you travel to Columbus?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look out, but Seattle's now 3-0. Sure, the third win was at Toronto, but Toronto was undefeated going into it,. Seattle controlled much of the game. A fantastic movement led to the first Seattle goal, which was Freddie Ljungberg's first MLS goal; the second goal was a bit lucky.

Yeah I went down to Columbus. Not a great performance on the field, but the penalty called against Harmse was very questionable, so tying the game on an own goal didn't bother me one bit.

As for Saturday's game, Toronto was outplayed and out coached plain and simple. Carver had the team playing direct ball from the back line to the strikers, totally ignoring the midfield (you know the one with Guevara and DeRo :blink: ) There were times in the game they would keep the ball on the ground and use short passes and movement, and that was when Toronto was most dangerous. However, Seattle is a tough team. I didn't think they would be as good as they were, but they proved me wrong.

1zqy8ok.gif

I went down to the game. It was very disappointing as this did not look like the same TFC team that showed up for the first 2 games of the season.

To me it seemed like they weren't working as a unit. Some players(I'm referring to TFC players) were passing way too much, some had weak passed, some just could get a real shot off. It was really weak.

Still, as cold and windy as it was, the atmosphere was good as always! I love our supporters groups!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Looks like there was some supporter unrest in Columbus...?

Nothing that doesn't happen at a typical NFL game. Media in Toronto was desperate for a story so; drunk males + soccer = hooliganism. The security in Columbus for some reason allowed some "Hudson Street Hooligans" (brilliant name by the way :rolleyes: ) walk from their north end to the south end, where they were met by exiting TFC supporters. There was some yelling but no fighting (that I'm aware of). The Columbus police called for back up and soon enough about 20 cruisers showed up to try and get the TFC fans to leave. Then the taser came out.

I wasn't there at the time so I can't say for sure what happened, but the story I'm hearing is that one Toronto fan was angered at a remark from a Columbus "Hooligan" (the Toronto fan was black, but I don't know if the comment had anything to do with that). The Toronto fan tried to grab the "hooligan" and was then tackled to the ground, where he was tased.

A friend of mine was taken to a police car, but he was released a couple minutes later with no charges. In the end, the guy who was tased was arrested, and as far as I know he was the only one. Thats a total of 1 arrest from 14,000 at the game. I read a story in the Buffalo paper that at a Bills game in November there were 32 arrests. Now obviously there are more people at a Bills game, but still the fact is that the Toronto media blew this :censored: way out of proportion.

Now on the weekend the Toronto Star ran a story about the supporter groups in Toronto cause :censored: at the games, which couldn't be farther from the truth. But anyway I'm rambling now :D

1zqy8ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Standings Through 5 matches:

East:

Chicago - 1

Columbus - 7

Toronto - 5

D. C. - 4

New York - 6

New England - 2

Kansas City - 3

West:

Salt Lake - 3

Chivas - 1

Seattle - 2

Houston - 6

Los Angeles - 8

San Jose - 5

Dallas - 7

Colorado - 4

• 2 weeks later...
MLS All-Stars to face EPL's Everton

Dear MLS, there are other Leagues and clubs out there to choose from. Please quit relying on English sides.

they tried to get Valencia from the Spanish league. another team from Spain as well, but not Barca. you should read Steve Goffs Soccer Insider blog more often :D

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Dear MLS, there are other Leagues and clubs out there to choose from. Please quit relying on English sides.

they tried to get Valencia from the Spanish league. another team from Spain as well, but not Barca. you should read Steve Goffs Soccer Insider blog more often :D

Tried to what extent?

Tried to what extent?

*Insider loyalists knew last week that this was in the works, and now it is official: English side Everton will face the MLS select squad at the All-Star Game at Rio Tinto Stadium outside Salt Lake City on July 29 (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2 and Telefutura). Today's announcement ended weeks of talks that began with Valencia and moved to Villarreal (Atletico Madrid was also mentioned as a possible candidate) before ending with New Jersey's own Tim Howard and Everton, which is currently sixth in the 20-team Premier League and set to appear in the FA Cup final against Chelsea on May 30 at Wembley.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• 2 weeks later...

Week 9:

Saturday:

Chicago @ Toronto

Colorado @ New England

Houston @ New York - Western Conference Finals Rematch

Seattle @ Dallas

Kansas City @ Real Salt Lake

DC @ Chivas - Conference leaders matchup

Sunday:

Columbus @ Los Angeles - Columbus makes their second trip to the site of their MLS Cup victory.

Toronto beats Montreal 1-0 and runs their Canadian record to 2-0-0. The next two games are between Montreal and Vancouver, home and away. If they tie both games, Toronto becomes the first team that isn't Montreal to win the Voyageurs Cup.

1zqy8ok.gif

Week 10 Fixtures:

Saturday:

New England @ Toronto

Real Salt Lake @ DC

San Jose @ Houston

Los Angeles @ Dallas

Chivas @ Kansas City

Seattle @ Colorado

Sunday:

Chicago @ New York

Note: With the first nine weeks complete, 27 of the 68 matches have ended deadlocked, including five of last weekend's seven games. That total represents an astonishing 39.7 percent of all games played. Compare that with 27.1 percent in '08, 25.6 percent in '07 and 29.1 percent '06, and you're forced to admit something is afoot. In less than a third of a season, four teams already have more ties than D.C. United and Colorado did all last year.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...k.10/index.html

And in related MLS news:

** Victor MacFarlane sold all of his stake in DCU to his business partner, Will Chang **

Since teaming with Chang to purchase the primary operating rights to United in January 2007 for a reported $33 million, MacFarlane has focused primarily on forming a partnership with a local jurisdiction to construct a medium-sized venue as part of a mixed-use development to replace 48-year-old RFK Stadium. The club says RFK's size, outdated features and lack of amenities have made it impossible to generate game-day revenue.

Potential deals at Poplar Point in the District and in Prince George's County, Maryland, collapsed in the past nine months, prompting MLS Commissioner Don Garber to say that United's future in the Washington area might be in jeopardy.

Way too soon to speculate on DCU's future.

Archived