Columbus @ Seattle

Kansas City @ Los Angeles

Sunday:

Dallas @ Chicago

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's 2009. ESPN can't find a way to cut away from Arkansas/UVA to show the DC and Seattle markets the MLS game? <_<

Well, I can't speak for Seattle, but I'm reasonably certain more folks in DC would want to watch Virginia baseball.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's 2009. ESPN can't find a way to cut away from Arkansas/UVA to show the DC and Seattle markets the MLS game? <_<

Well, I can't speak for Seattle, but I'm reasonably certain more folks in DC would want to watch Virginia baseball.

True. Selfish posting. Thank goodness Sounders FC is expanding capacity at QF and then I can watch the games at the stadium and not rely on ESPN2.

It's really difficult to gauge the quality of each club based on their level of play and add in that there have been so many draws (ties), 62 out of 150 matches, or -- 41.3% (!!!) -- a third into the season doesn't help either. But here's an attempt:

Power (or lack thereof) Rankings:

1 Chivas

2 Chicago

3 Seattle

4 Toronto

5 DC

6 Houston

7 Colorado

8 Kansas City

9 Salt Lake

10 Los Angeles

11 New England

12 Columbus

13 New York

14 Dallas

15 San Jose

I have to come back to this, but your math is incorrect. From this post, you have 62 draws from 150 matches. The 2009 MLS schedule only accounts for 225 games total One game with a tie seems to account for two items in your calculation.

By your post, the season is 66% over and we are not even in July.

Divide by 2 and you will may have a truer number.

BTW, the EPL had ~22.5% draws this year, Germany had 32%, and La Liga was at ~25%.

It's really difficult to gauge the quality of each club based on their level of play and add in that there have been so many draws (ties), 62 out of 150 matches, or -- 41.3% (!!!) -- a third into the season doesn't help either. But here's an attempt:

Power (or lack thereof) Rankings:

1 Chivas

2 Chicago

3 Seattle

4 Toronto

5 DC

6 Houston

7 Colorado

8 Kansas City

9 Salt Lake

10 Los Angeles

11 New England

12 Columbus

13 New York

14 Dallas

15 San Jose

I have to come back to this, but your math is incorrect. From this post, you have 62 draws from 150 matches. The 2009 MLS schedule only accounts for 225 games total One game with a tie seems to account for two items in your calculation.

By your post, the season is 66% over and we are not even in July.

Divide by 2 and you will may have a truer number.

BTW, the EPL had ~22.5% draws this year, Germany had 32%, and La Liga was at ~25%.

Whenever it comes to math on these boards I tend to mess it up. At that time, it's really 31 of 76 matches, or 40.8%

Since their 1-0 road loss to DC United on April 4th, the Houston Dynamo are on a 10 match unbeaten streak, winning eight times with decisive wins against New England, Chicago, Colorado and Chivas. The two draws have come against a vastly under performing Red Bull New York squad. Here are their results over the last 10 weeks:

04/11 - New York Red Bulls D, 0-0

04/19 - Colorado Rapids W, 1-0

05/03 - at New England Revolution W, 2-0

05/09 - FC Dallas W, 1-0

05/16 - at New York Red Bulls D, 1-1

05/23 - San Jose Earthquakes W, 3-1

05/30 - Toronto FC W, 3-0

06/05 - at Chicago Fire W, 1-0

06/10 - Chivas USA W, 1-0

06/13 - at FC Dallas W, 3-1

The streak is on the line on Saturday against an inconsistent Real Salt Lake who might have returned to their 2008 form against the Los Angeles Galaxy, beating them 2-0. As the 09 campaign reaches the midway point, is it safe to say that the front runners to represent the West in the MLS Cup are Houston, Chivas, and maybe Seattle? I'm not yet sold on Colorado, but they've recently traded for Pat Noonan from Columbus so we'll see how he impacts the chemistry of their strikers.

Toronto FC scores six, yes SIX, unanswered goals to demolish the Montreal Impact, 6-1, and claim Canada's Voyageurs Cup and spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

To be fair, Montreal had some injuries and were resting some players as they were completely out of the Canadian championship picture. And it seemed pretty unlikely at the start that Toronto would win by four ? and even more unlikely after the Impact scored a penalty kick to open the scoring ? to be able to claim the cup on goal differential. But they did exactly that, and then some.

The fourth goal by Guevara was breathtaking, and seeing Barrett finally pot one was a relief. Great game.

I'd love to see the highlights of that. It should definitely make the USL-1 league game between Montreal and Vancouver tomorrow night (in Montreal) rather interesting, especially since the Vancouver players were in the stands for Thursday's game.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Obviously, the Vancouver soccer community is livid, and calling "fix."

Obviously. But the more I think about it, the more Montreal should have wanted to win and hand the title to Vancouver. That would mean Vancouver would have many more games to play next year with the CONCACAF Champions League, and the Impact might have a better chance at winning games against them because they're tired, or they (and other USL clubs) might even an easier road winning a title.

Of course, I'm probably overthinking this.

It should definitely make the USL-1 league game between Montreal and Vancouver tomorrow night (in Montreal) rather interesting, especially since the Vancouver players were in the stands for Thursday's game.

That, and it's being televised nationally on CBC.

As an aside, just picked up tickets to Everton v River Plate here in Edmonton on July 25. w00t.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not really big news for the MLS, but Seattle is playing Chelsea in front of a packed-to-the-brim Qwest Field...and the crowd's easily pro-Sounders. Looks like an awesome atmosphere.

Speaking of the US Open Cup, D.C. United beat the Rochester Rhinos of the A-League 3-2 in the other semifinal.

That sucks. I was hoping that the Rhinos would make ANOTHER giant-killing run in the Open. Oh well.

Also...is it possible that Sounders FC is the coolest MLS team ever? I think so.

Speaking of the US Open Cup, D.C. United beat the Rochester Rhinos of the A-League 3-2 in the other semifinal.
That sucks. I was hoping that the Rhinos would make ANOTHER giant-killing run in the Open. Oh well.

Also...is it possible that Sounders FC is the coolest MLS team ever? I think so.

For now, until the Union kick off.

LvZYtbZ.png

Great game. Sounders dominated play the last 20 or so and then finally got the goal at the 89th minute. It was an own goal but certainly Jacqua could have been given credit for it. Then they keep the pressure up at the start of OT and get the game-winner in the 5th minute. Good stuff!

Archived