Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Sounders win the Open Cup, 2-1. It got extremely interesting in the 2nd half when Montero scored the first one and Josh Wicks continued on his Path of Rage by stomping on Montero. He got sent off, deservedly, and the backup goalie let in what ended up being the game-winner later on. DC did score a few minutes before stoppage time and basically threw everything AND the kitchen sink @ Seattle, but the defense prevailed and the Sounders are holding up the Cup. Pretty cool to see Seattle win some silverware in their first year as MLS team. Congrats to them and their fans. Now all we'll hear is "SEATTLE WOULDA PULLED IN 30,000+" instead of "SEATLE WOULDA WON." So yay. :lol:

The same Seattle that only had 2k show up for their earlier US Open Cup games <_<

Well, to be fair they had them at a soccer complex in the suburbs up there where the capacity was around 2,000 IIRC. It's common for MLS clubs to have Open Cup games in smaller stadiums, or at least that's what these 2 particular teams do.

It still would've been hard for them to fill up Quest Field @ 4:30 local time on a Wednesday evening. I think they would've had the same attendance numbers that DCU pulled in tonight.

Wicks played a helluva match up until that boneheaded move. It was a great game, but im ashamed that my black and red let someone win a trophy on their pitch. that just doesnt happen 6 or 7 years ago. It was a great showing by the United faithful. the chants were full throat and the smoke bombs were flying early. this may be a biased opinion, but in the Wreck on the Anacostia, that beats any atmosphere at Qwest Field.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounders win the Open Cup, 2-1. It got extremely interesting in the 2nd half when Montero scored the first one and Josh Wicks continued on his Path of Rage by stomping on Montero. He got sent off, deservedly, and the backup goalie let in what ended up being the game-winner later on. DC did score a few minutes before stoppage time and basically threw everything AND the kitchen sink @ Seattle, but the defense prevailed and the Sounders are holding up the Cup. Pretty cool to see Seattle win some silverware in their first year as MLS team. Congrats to them and their fans. Now all we'll hear is "SEATTLE WOULDA PULLED IN 30,000+" instead of "SEATLE WOULDA WON." So yay. :lol:

The same Seattle that only had 2k show up for their earlier US Open Cup games <_<

Well, to be fair they had them at a soccer complex in the suburbs up there where the capacity was around 2,000 IIRC. It's common for MLS clubs to have Open Cup games in smaller stadiums, or at least that's what these 2 particular teams do.

It still would've been hard for them to fill up Quest Field @ 4:30 local time on a Wednesday evening. I think they would've had the same attendance numbers that DCU pulled in tonight.

Starfire Sports Complex in Tukwila holds about 4500+. They had 4895 for the last game played there, the semi-final match against Houston.

Could the Sounders have drawn more than DCU given the mid-afternoon start time of Seattle's bid? Perhaps, but it's kind of a pointless discussion because it didn't/won't happen. Good teams should be able to win no matter the location.

ETA: Overall, this was probably better for the league and the Cup to have it in DC as FSC will certainly get better ratings for the game with the prime time spot and all the people in Seattle who had to watch it on tv.

Wicks played a helluva match up until that boneheaded move. It was a great game, but im ashamed that my black and red let someone win a trophy on their pitch. that just doesnt happen 6 or 7 years ago. It was a great showing by the United faithful. the chants were full throat and the smoke bombs were flying early. this may be a biased opinion, but in the Wreck on the Anacostia, that beats any atmosphere at Qwest Field.

Sorry to say that DC United just doesn't have that killer instinct it was known for in previous seasons. Now all of a sudden there's a hot tempered goalie on the backline just doing stupid stuff and you can see this club is on the brink of off-season upheaval, unless the Open Cup loss on home turf is the catalyst for change for next season.

What do you do at 4am after your team's won the US Open Cup?

Apparently, in Seattle, that means you go welcome the team home at the airport.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made my first venture to an MLS game. Me and my son scored free tickets through DC United official blog predicting the score of a match awhile back. These were NOT cheap seats folks. They were $40 face value seats, right at midfield just a little up. It was a fun game and a fun atmosphere. Even though DCU lost to Seattle (AGAIN! UGH!) me and my son had a great experience and would definitely do it again. Although the whole time I was watching the crazy sections across the field and thinking that I should be over there but I wasnt about to venture over there with a 6 year old. Had a helluva time, I recommend going to a DC United game to anyone who visits or lives in the Washington area.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I just made my first venture to an MLS game. Me and my son scored free tickets through DC United official blog predicting the score of a match awhile back. These were NOT cheap seats folks. They were $40 face value seats, right at midfield just a little up. It was a fun game and a fun atmosphere. Even though DCU lost to Seattle (AGAIN! UGH!) me and my son had a great experience and would definitely do it again. Although the whole time I was watching the crazy sections across the field and thinking that I should be over there but I wasnt about to venture over there with a 6 year old. Had a helluva time, I recommend going to a DC United game to anyone who visits or lives in the Washington area.

I went to my first (and only) DC United game during Freddy Adu's rookie season...the team wasn't great, but the atmosphere certainly was. RFK was rocking and the jumping around and chanting were awesome to watch. For the most part, sports are so much better in person than on television, because the two things that can never be fully captured on screen are the atmosphere of the building and the true unbelievable skill of the athletes.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

"No certain date" for completion of Philadelphia Union's stadium in Chester, PA - team may have to open inaugural season at the Linc'.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Will_the_Union_open_their_season_at_the_Linc.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I almost made it out to that United game, but my tournament ended too late for that to be viable.

In any event, I went ahead and put my deposit down for Union season tickets. I'm definitely excited about it. Play a few games at the Linc isn't a bad thing, because the Linc is actually a pretty good venue for soccer (as evidenced by the Gold Cup)

Major League Soccer is currently working on putting together its 2010 fixture list, and Goff reports that the most recent version has the Union opening on April 10 at home to D.C. United.

Yeah, I'm getting married that day. Figures. ^_^

philly.png

It didn't look like there was any room for corner kicks at the Linc - they couldn't get a running start. Is that normal?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Didn't realize that. On the East corners, it almost looked like their backs were up against the wall when they were getting ready to kick. I didn't realize that was more or less standard.

• 3 weeks later...

Josh Wicks suspended 5 US Open Cup games for stamp in Open Cup Final.

They gave him credit for 1 game after he was sent off, so it's really 4 games. Either way, assuming that Wicks is still the starting keeper in DC, he won't be playing in any Open Cup games for a couple of years, methinks. The quickest that he'll be playing again is 2011, and that's only if DC makes it back to the Final.

• 3 weeks later...

The final round is upon us. Chicago clinched 2nd place in the east yesterday. and the weekend sees 6 teams battling for 2 play-off spaces.

According to MLS these are the scenarios;

Colorado qualifies if:

Colorado defeats Real Salt Lake on Saturday OR

Colorado ties Real Salt Lake AND

The four teams on 39 points all lose or all tie OR IF

Only one of TOR, NE, DC and FCD win

DC qualifies if:

If DC is the only team tied on 39 points to win, they will qualify

If DC wins and Colorado wins AND New England OR Toronto win, they cannot qualify (unless DAL, DC AND TOR win - decided by goal differential)

In the case of a tie on 40 points (RSL win, DC tie), DC will qualify ONLY if FC Dallas AND DC tie, or if DAL AND DC AND TOR tie

Dallas qualifies if:

If FC Dallas is the only team tied on 39 points to win, they will qualify

If FC Dallas wins and Colorado wins, FC Dallas must hope that DC or New England do not win, as this lessens their chances

In the case of a tie on 40 points (RSL win, DAL tie), FC Dallas must hope that DC does not also tie

New England qualifies if:

If New England is the only team tied on 39 points to win, they will qualify

If New England wins and Colorado wins, New England must hope that Toronto does not also win (unless ONLY DAL and NE win)

If New England wins and Colorado loses or ties, the ONLY way New England will NOT qualify is if DAL AND NE AND TOR (ONLY) WIN

In the case of a multiple tie on 40 points (RSL win, NE tie), New England must hope DC ALSO ties or TOR does not tie (unless all four on 39 tie)

Toronto qualifies if:

If Toronto is the only team tied on 39 points to win, they will qualify

If Toronto wins and Colorado wins, TOR must hope FC Dallas does NOT win - unless ALL four teams on 39 points win (DAL AND DC AND NE AND TOR)

If Toronto wins and Colorado loses or ties, Toronto is all but assured of qualifying

In the case of a multiple tie on 40 points (RSL win, TOR tie), TOR is all but assured of qualifying UNLESS DAL, NE AND TOR all tie

People may complain that the quality of MLS isn't as good as the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc, etc, but you'll never see them have the last round of the season be anything like this one.

1zqy8ok.gif

This is how I like to see the season end. A lot of teams playing for the last two spots for the playoffs and top spots.

My prediction for the weekend games

Toronto FC wins @ NY Red Bulls. (TFC should win this game)

DC United ties @ Kansas City. (both teams are not playing well)

Colorado loses to @ Real Salt Lake. (RSL better home team)

FC Dallas wins @ Seattle. (it will be a tough game for FCD)

San Jose loses @ LA Galaxy. (Galaxy playing for the west top spot)

Houston loses @ Chivas USA. (Chivas and Dynamo playing for the west top spot)

New England loses @ Columbus. (REVS need to win, but Crew will beat them)

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Embarrassing.

Toronto FC is a disgrace. How the hell do you give up 5 goals to the worst team in the history of MLS.

That's appalling.

On other notes:

• DC United notched their thirteenth draw of the season (I think its an MLS record?) and the embattled club did not qualify for the postseason.
  • LA Galaxy have clinched the top seed in the West.
  • Houston winning against Chivas USA and with a win will get the number 2 seed in the West.
  • New England can make the playoffs if they beat Columbus.

Houston is #2 seed in the West and New England has made the playoffs

lmao @ TFC losing 5-0 to the Red Bulls. That is a damn shame right there, especially considering that they still had a chance to make the playoffs, however slim that chance may have been. But still, if that's how they lose to easily the worst team in the league, they deserve it.

With that said, how bout the Galaxy? From a terrible 2008 to top seed going into this year's playoffs & may be the favorites to possibly win it all. Pretty nice turnaround, especially considering the disarray that they were in last year. Bruce Arena had better win Coach of the Year.

Archived