Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

The Fire have been in troblue recently. Soumare was the player that got into a fight with the coach. So he is now unofficially suspended. Brian McBride has been hurt, but every team has injuries at this point in the year. They were outplayed and definately deserved to lose to LA.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They eliminated both stadiums here, including the Gophers' new stadium. Boo.

My mock set of ten venues, based on nothing more than geography and venue size:

Arlington, Texas (Cowboys Stadium) - 100,000

Chicago (Soldier Field) - 61,000

Denver (Invesco Field) - 76,125

East Rutherford, N.J. (new Meadowlands stadium) - 82,000

Glendale, Ariz. (University of Phoenix Stadium) - 71,000

Houston (Reliant Stadium) - 71,500

Landover, Md. (FedEx Field) - 91,704

Pasadena, Calif. (Rose Bowl) - 92,542

Seattle (Qwest Field) - 67,000

Tampa, Fla. (Raymond James Stadium) - 65,856

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I did not want to place this in the Euro soccer thread. The list of potential venues for the USA bid for the 2018 or 2022 World Cup has been cut from 45 to 32. You can easily tell that some still on the list are "place holders".

Venue Bids for USA World Cup Bid

Interesting they have Huskey (sic) Stadium on that list. I can't even remember the last time soccer was played on that field. They would also have to bring in grass for the World Cup matches, no?

They eliminated both stadiums here, including the Gophers' new stadium. Boo.

My mock set of ten venues, based on nothing more than geography and venue size:

Arlington, Texas (Cowboys Stadium) - 100,000

Chicago (Soldier Field) - 61,000

Denver (Invesco Field) - 76,125

East Rutherford, N.J. (new Meadowlands stadium) - 82,000

Glendale, Ariz. (University of Phoenix Stadium) - 71,000

Houston (Reliant Stadium) - 71,500

Landover, Md. (FedEx Field) - 91,704

Pasadena, Calif. (Rose Bowl) - 92,542

Seattle (Qwest Field) - 67,000

Tampa, Fla. (Raymond James Stadium) - 65,856 Miami, Florida (Land Shark Stadium) - 74,916 (soccer)

Well since FIFA's criterion requires a candidate host nation to provide a minimum of 12 stadiums and a maximum of 18 capable of seating 40,000 or more spectators. Stadiums with a minimum capacity of 80,000 are required by FIFA for consideration to play host to the Opening Match and Final Match. The U.S. used stadiums in nine cities when it hosted the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

I've made one change and believe a few more strategic stadiums should be added:

Foxborough, MA (Gillette Stadium) - 68,756

Philadelphia, PA (Lincoln Financial Field) - 68,532

Atlanta, GA (Georgia Dome) - 71,228

Juan Carlos Osario resigns as manager for NYRB.

This isn't going to save their season, but it's a good decision nonetheless. A season where you've been a lock for the wooden spoon since about game #5 after a MLS Cup appearance (no matter how incredibly fortunate the run was) is a guarantee for job loss.

Also, Landon Donovan's probably going to go to PSG on loan for the winter.

There are other rumors that this may be a permanent move. If this happens, great move for Donovan, he can go to a club where he's actually going to have a decent shot at playing, compared to his experience at Bayern Munich which was just awful (and hilarious in hindsight that Bayern let Donovan go due to wanting forwards "with potential" and now they have a pretty big void at the position. :P). It'd be a bad move for the Galaxy because, dammit, there's no way that you can replace Landon Donovan in the MLS. The Galaxy are deep this year, but not that deep. That, combined with Beckham more-than-likely being gone for good at the end of this season has basically turned the '09 season for the Galaxy into MLS Cup or bust.

Is it twelve? For some reason I thought it was ten.

I avoided Atlanta, since it's a dome, but that's a personal preference. I also picked Tampa over Miami since it's a much newer building. Foxboro and Philly are good choices to add, though that does make four venues in that northeastern corridor. I suppose with the renovations at Arrowhead, KC would be a good Midwestern addition.

POTD 2013-08-22

Here's what I thought could be some good stadiums and it branches out to all of the corners of the US.

Qwest Field, Seattle

Jerryworld, Arlington (Dallas)

U of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale (Phoenix)

Reliant Stadium, Houston

Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia

Soldier Field, Chicago

Gillette Stadium, Foxborough (Boston)

New Meadowlands, East Rutherford (New York)

FedEx Field, Landover (Washington DC)

Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City

Landshark Stadium, Miami

Georgia Dome, Atlanta

All of which at one time or another have hosted soccer events and since the US is such a vast country they could divide the stadiums into certain groups like this.

Have Groups A,B,C,D Play in the East

Landover

Philadelphia

East Rutherford

Foxborough

Miami

Atlanta

Have Groups E,F,G,H Play in Midwest to West

Seattle

Glendale

Arlington

Houston

Kansas City

Chicago

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There's a reason I rarely go to MLS games as I tend to be frustrated with a clubs attacking style. In this case, DC United had a plethora of opportunities against LA Galaxy last night but usually either attempted an extra pass, wanted an extra touch on the ball before shooting, wouldn't take that many shots outside the 18 on a rainy and slick pitch, and weren't desperate enough. I could also blame the officiating on some questionable calls, but the point being is that DCU failed to take chances. In the late second half, it seems they started to play with some urgency until it became relevant that both clubs would walk away with a draw. This inept attacking style will not help this club to get into the playoffs.

Could the MLS have competition?

8 USL Teams Mull Forming a New League

Selby Wellman, owner of the Carolina Railhawks and spokesman for the eight teams, said a breakaway league was on the agenda.

"It is certainly one of the options," he told Reuters in an interview. "We are clearly at odds with USL, we have been at odds with them for two years over the fact that we are the only league in the world that doesn't have (team) owners controlling it," he added.

Selby said the teams, which also include franchises in Montreal and Vancouver in Canada and Tampa Bay and St. Louis, would be open to a compromise with the USL but that he was not optimistic common ground could be found.

Could the MLS have competition?

8 USL Teams Mull Forming a New League

Selby Wellman, owner of the Carolina Railhawks and spokesman for the eight teams, said a breakaway league was on the agenda.

"It is certainly one of the options," he told Reuters in an interview. "We are clearly at odds with USL, we have been at odds with them for two years over the fact that we are the only league in the world that doesn't have (team) owners controlling it," he added.

Selby said the teams, which also include franchises in Montreal and Vancouver in Canada and Tampa Bay and St. Louis, would be open to a compromise with the USL but that he was not optimistic common ground could be found.

Would this really be that big of a competition or even a threat to the MLS's existence?

Or could this eventually become a NFL/AFL type thing that would lead to an eventual merger someways down the road?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There are a few issues at hand. I wish these USL-1 owners would get over the idea that they need to complete with MLS. They can't. MLS is the first division; USL-1 is the second. But there's lots of room to improve the second division.

That being said, the USL management hasn't seemed to support its owners much, and doesn't seem to be much interested in improving the league so that there isn't such a large gap in product (not just on-field performance) between the top two divisions of soccer in the US/Canada/Puerto Rico.

It'll be interesting to see if this breakaway happens, and what the effects could be. If they get their acts together and make a solid league, but stop trying to become the first division, it could be a very good thing.

Of course, the fact that the Thunder is involved probably makes it doomed to fail. :down:

Inside Minnesota Soccer did a series of entries this week about the USL sale and the associated effects:

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

POTD 2013-08-22

Non-MLS but it is only 10 mins away from the start of the US Open Cup Final. Go Sounders!

Does anyone know if this is going to be on the internet somewhere? I think the Sounders semifinal match was and a link got posted here.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Sounders win the Open Cup, 2-1. It got extremely interesting in the 2nd half when Montero scored the first one and Josh Wicks continued on his Path of Rage by stomping on Montero. He got sent off, deservedly, and the backup goalie let in what ended up being the game-winner later on. DC did score a few minutes before stoppage time and basically threw everything AND the kitchen sink @ Seattle, but the defense prevailed and the Sounders are holding up the Cup. Pretty cool to see Seattle win some silverware in their first year as MLS team. Congrats to them and their fans. Now all we'll hear is "SEATTLE WOULDA PULLED IN 30,000+" instead of "SEATLE WOULDA WON." So yay. :lol:

Sounders win the Open Cup, 2-1. It got extremely interesting in the 2nd half when Montero scored the first one and Josh Wicks continued on his Path of Rage by stomping on Montero. He got sent off, deservedly, and the backup goalie let in what ended up being the game-winner later on. DC did score a few minutes before stoppage time and basically threw everything AND the kitchen sink @ Seattle, but the defense prevailed and the Sounders are holding up the Cup. Pretty cool to see Seattle win some silverware in their first year as MLS team. Congrats to them and their fans. Now all we'll hear is "SEATTLE WOULDA PULLED IN 30,000+" instead of "SEATLE WOULDA WON." So yay. :lol:

The same Seattle that only had 2k show up for their earlier US Open Cup games <_<

1zqy8ok.gif

The same Seattle that only had 2k show up for their earlier US Open Cup games <_<

Well, to be fair they had them at a soccer complex in the suburbs up there where the capacity was around 2,000 IIRC. It's common for MLS clubs to have Open Cup games in smaller stadiums, or at least that's what these 2 particular teams do.

It still would've been hard for them to fill up Quest Field @ 4:30 local time on a Wednesday evening. I think they would've had the same attendance numbers that DCU pulled in tonight.

Archived