Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

ESPN to show MLS (and other European football leagues) in Britain

So yeah, MLS should definitely benefit from the Worldwide Leader trying to build up their library of soccer. I guess for fans over there, it'll be a good way to watch some decent soccer during the summer/EPL off-season and keep up with Becks. I'm sure the MLS will benefit from this.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everton's first shot & Ljungberg's shot were both [barkley]turrible, just turrible.[/barkley] But you've got to give props to Howard and Keller, both of them were awesome. Especially Howard, he was great in the PKs as usual.

I guess this would be as good of a place to put it since a CONCACAF Champions League thread would get nowhere fast in a hurry...but anyways, 3 MLS teams are in the qualifying round, TFC, DCU, and NYRB (which still makes me laugh, Red Bulls are in the Champions League considering that they're on a path towards the most wooden Wooden Spoon ever.). Here's what's gone on:

Toronto FC:

1st leg vs. USL-1 team Puerto Rico Islanders - 0-1 PRI

2nd leg @ PRI - 0-0

(Puerto Rico advances on 1-0 aggregate)

DC United:

1st leg vs. El Salvador team LA Firpo - 1-1 (Pathetic because DC decided to field a reserve squad on the home half. You knew they were going for a draw from the start.)

2nd leg @ LA Firpo - 1-1 and DC advances on PKs. (When DCU actually fielded their first team for the trip to San Salvador)

New York Red Bulls:

1st leg @ T&T W Connection - 2-2 (Honestly one of the worst games I've ever seen that had 4 goals scored in it. Both teams played horrible. 3 of the 4 goals were basically own goals, it was ridiculous.)

So yeah, it's kinda ironic that the team that had the best outlook going into the 2nd leg was Red Bull.

Also, KC's coach got fired. I'm guessing it had to do with the fact that they hadn't scored a goal that wasn't from 50+ feet away in about 4 or 5 games.

Chicago Fire 1:1 Tigres UNAL

It went into penalties and the Fire lost 4-3. I wasn't able to see anything except the penalties, so I can't really comment on how they played, but it's disappointing to see the loss in PKs.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

W Connection beat the Red Bulls 2-1 tonight, advancing 4-3 on aggregate to the Group Stage of the CCL. That means that only one team (DC United) advanced from the qualifying round into the group sage. Still better than last year, when NONE made it through.

Also, Tigres beat the Fire 1-1 (4-3 on PKs) to win the SuperLiga. Not a good night for MLS on the field.

W Connection beat the Red Bulls 2-1 tonight, advancing 4-3 on aggregate to the Group Stage of the CCL. That means that only one team (DC United) advanced from the qualifying round into the group sage. Still better than last year, when NONE made it through.

Also, Tigres beat the Fire 1-1 (4-3 on PKs) to win the SuperLiga. Not a good night for MLS on the field.

It should be noted that W Connection has never advanced into the group stages of the CCL ever. the Red Bulls are on a tear of futility through MLS.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

It should be noted that W Connection has never advanced into the group stages of the CCL ever. the Red Bulls are on a tear of futility through MLS.

Do you think Red Bull is rethinking their soccer strategy in the US?

Do you think Red Bull is rethinking their soccer strategy in the US?

Probably not. They're gonna have that new stadium ready for them next season, so that's gonna help them out a little.

Then again, that's all that they'll have going for them next season, other than pre-season optimism. That, and there will be nowhere to go but up once they finish with the worst record of the season (and maybe of all time.). They gotta fire the coach though. From what I've heard on NYRB's bigsoccer board, the coach basically plays roulette with the lineups.

Should they count on Henry? (At least the guys calling the Barca-Sounders game are saying that.)

1-0 Barca thus far.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Should they count on Henry? (At least the guys calling the Barca-Sounders game are saying that.)

1-0 Barca thus far.

That's a hot rumor, especially since it's common knowledge that Henry would like to finish his career in Barca. If NYRB is smart, he'll be there in 2011 at the latest, mid-2010 at the earliest. As long as they get a Thierry Henry that's there to win and they don't get the French version of 07-08 Beckham, that's a win-win situation for them.

So if the ball bounces slightly differently, Messi would have a hat trick. Or more. At 40 minutes.

yare yare

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm gonna put this on the fact that Seattle is a completely different team when they're on grass and not field turf. IIRC, they're 0-3-3 in league play on grass. Not saying they'd win, just saying they'd look better.

Then again, Messi(ah) is just too damn good. A near hat trick during pre-season? Jeez.

You know, I don't think the Red Bulls are going to end up with the worst record ever. I could (conceivably) see them getting six points out of their last nine games, which would put them ahead of the 2001 Mutiny (14 points in 27 games) in the futility department, when you go by points per game.

(Note: I find the Metrostars season of 1999 to have 20 points, rather than 15, mainly because I treated all shootout results as if they were draws. Still second worst.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived