Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy, MLS teams just can't buy a win in Mexico, can they?

The nice thing is that this is a double round robin so those Mexican teams will have to head north for a match against those MLS teams.

The nice thing is that this is a double round robin so those Mexican teams will have to head north for a match against those MLS teams.

Monterrey beat Seattle at Qwest Field last night.

This is a little bit of a shock. I had a feeling that Bradley would be extended, but I thought it would only be until 2012. But he's gonna get another World Cup run out of this. I know he had better come up with some new ideas & better tactics, though. A Round of 16 exit in 2014 will not cut it.

US Soccer Federation signs Coach Bradley to a four-year extension.

:censored:

In all seriousness, I thought they'd want some fresh blood, but my guess is that Klinsmann said no...again, so they went with old standby BB. Not the best way to run a National Soccer program but hey, what the hell right? Its just soccer and no one cares till the World Cup, right? :blink:

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Monterrey beat Seattle at Qwest Field last night.

OK, let me reinterate that:

Boy, MLS teams just can buy a win against anyone from Mexico.

I wish Canada had the luxury of snuffing a Bob Bradley. :P

It's not just the players that need to change, for one we need a manager who will not take :censored: and get the job done.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The US Open Cup Final has been set:

DC United 1-2 Columbus Crew

Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 Chivas USA

Seattle Sounders FC will defend the title against Columbus Crew. Venue is TBA. I was looking forward to a rematch, if only to watch Sounders fans & United fans go at each others necks on BigSoccer like they did last year. :P Oh well, should be a good contest.

The US Open Cup Final has been set.

Seattle Sounders FC will defend the title against Columbus Crew. Venue is TBA.

The US Open Cup Final will take place on October 5th at Qwest Field in Seattle.

The possible venues to host the final were announced a week ago, with Qwest Field, RFK Stadium and the Home Depot Center being the candidates. So long as Seattle defeated Chivas USA in their semifinal, the Sounders were guaranteed to host the final at Qwest Field, regardless of the outcome of the other semifinal match. If Chivas USA and DC United had emerged victorious from their respective semifinals, the final would have taken place at RFK Stadium. If Chivas USA and the Columbus Crew had won the semifinals, Chivas would have hosted the final at the Home Depot Center.

This is a little bit of a shock. I had a feeling that Bradley would be extended, but I thought it would only be until 2012. But he's gonna get another World Cup run out of this. I know he had better come up with some new ideas & better tactics, though. A Round of 16 exit in 2014 will not cut it.

Anything short of twenty-five match wins in the World Cup qualifying and tournament is unacceptable for a team of America's stature.

LvZYtbZ.png

Anything short of twenty-five match wins in the World Cup qualifying and tournament is unacceptable for a team of America's stature.

Does your "success" stipulation also include holding all opposition to clean sheets?

Does your "success" stipulation also include holding all opposition to clean sheets?
With the keepers the United States has?

And before you snark at this, I'll bet you that in World Cup qualifying, the USA will not play Mexico once. They're looking at a shift in format to (quali down to 32) (8 groups of 4, advance 2) (4 groups of 4, advance 2) (2 groups of 4, advance 2 to WC consideration)

LvZYtbZ.png

• 2 weeks later...

USL to merge its D2 and D3 Leagues to form "USL Pro" in 2011.

The quote is the article from the USL website:

Designed to help ensure the long-term stability of professional soccer in North America, United Soccer Leagues announced the merger of its First and Second Divisions into a single league property for 2011 - USL PRO.

Team owners and league officials are meeting in Tampa, Florida today to lay the groundwork for the 2011 debut of USL PRO, which will be governed by team owners and present the highest level of competition in the United States, Canada and the Caribbean outside of Major League Soccer (MLS).

USL PRO is a national league featuring a regional competition model to build natural rivalries and reduce travel-related costs. The U.S. Soccer Federation-affiliated league benefits from the leadership of the dedicated and experienced professional staff at USL?s Tampa headquarters as well as the developmental support of USL?s proven and integrated system of leagues.

USL PRO will consist of as many as four geographic regions in 2011. Teams scheduled to compete in USL PRO in 2011 will be announced in the coming weeks.

?After much analysis of the current landscape we?ve chosen to combine our synergies into a single professional league that will operate within financial and competitive models that make sense,? USL CEO Alec Papadakis said. ?The USL PRO business plan is the first below the MLS level to give team owners a realistic roadmap to profitability. We need to focus on the future health of soccer in North America, and the USL PRO model addresses many of the issues that have led to the instability of men?s professional soccer below the MLS level.?

USL PRO will feature a Board of Governors responsible for making all major decisions for the league including expansion, competition format and commercial strategy. The league will focus on aggressive but deliberate growth by adding teams fully capable of meeting USL and USSF standards which are located in markets that further promote regional league play.

In its 25th consecutive year of operating professional soccer leagues in the Unites States, Canada and the Caribbean, USL has adjusted to the changing soccer landscape in North America on several previous occasions. In 2001 USL restructured its previously non age-restricted Premier Development League as a U23 league when men?s college players were in need of highly competitive training and playing options during the summer months. It was also the first entity to launch a national youth league for elite clubs, the Super Y-League.

USL?s professional staff includes not only experienced league administrators, but a large staff of sports professionals to assist teams in the areas of franchise development, international partnerships, marketing, ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, communications, new media, broadcast production, web services and player registration. USL also features a full-time National Technical Director to assist teams with player identification and to help create opportunities for player advancement both domestically and internationally.

I wonder if this means that NASL will become the official D2 League and USL is demoted to D3 status? Or could there not be a distinctive D2 League until certain club/stadium standards are met?

Archived