Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So yeah, that was a ridiculous ending. After scoring a crapton of Man U's goals last season, Own Goal made his presence felt tonight as he would score the clinching goal for the Rapids.

After that, complete barrage from FC Dallas. Had 3 or 4 great chances. Huge props to FC Dallas, really a shame to see them lose in that manner. I'd honestly rather go through penalty kicks than lose during a title shot due to an own goal. Crazy crazy crazy.

Congrats to the Rapids for winning the Cup this year! Came out of nowhere to pull it off.

George John hates himself right now, but Kandji created that goal, worked his ass off to put it into danger and paid the price for it. Rapids have never played the prettiest style, but its finally paid off for them. I'm happiest for Pablo Mastroeni, he's stuck with that franchise for a long time and its paid off for him.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Congratulations to the Colorado Rapids. However, this final may have been the worst final based on lack of officiating.

The ref lost control of the match early, who knew he was going to keep the card in his pocket for so long? I'm guessing he didnt want to decide the match but by allowing the physical play he indirectly did decide the match.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Congratulations to the Colorado Rapids. However, this final may have been the worst final based on lack of officiating.

The ref lost control of the match early, who knew he was going to keep the card in his pocket for so long? I'm guessing he didnt want to decide the match but by allowing the physical play he indirectly did decide the match.

It's a shame really, there was nothing beautiful about yesterday's match on the pitch. Also, I hope that MLS Brass abandons the 8:30 PM Sunday evening start time for the final.

Speaking of the MLS Brass, Commissioner Garber unleashed more confusion in regards to the league competition changes for the 2011 season:

1. The MLS Playoffs will expand to 10 teams. There may or will be a preliminary knockout round to determine the eight seed.
  2. The 34-game schedule will be balanced.
  3. The league is beginning to investigate moving to an international calendar, which would align MLS with most European leagues’ fall-to-spring calendar and would break during FIFA dates for international games.
  4. The league is undecided if it wants to continue to move teams across conference lines in order to ensure the best regular-season teams qualify for the postseason. Garber said he understood fans’ and critics’ confusion that the current system allowed two Western Conference teams to meet in last weekend’s Eastern Conference Championship.

So they'll play a balanced schedule and still may do the conference crossover for playoffs, but they won't go to a single table?

Exactly, I'm like "WTF!" If you're gonna do a balanced schedule, what's the point of having conference crossover, or conferences in the first place? Just have a single table, and let the top 8 (or 10) teams get in. Come on.

So they'll play a balanced schedule and still may do the conference crossover for playoffs, but they won't go to a single table?

Exactly, I'm like "WTF!" If you're gonna do a balanced schedule, what's the point of having conference crossover, or conferences in the first place? Just have a single table, and let the top 8 (or 10) teams get in. Come on.

Because next season will most likely be the last season of balanced scheduling.

I couldn't agree more. It's never made sense to me to have these conference crossovers. I really don't see why it's so hard to just have similar seeding to that of the NHL? 1 vs. 8, 2 vs, 7, 3 vs, 6, 4 vs. 5.

I just don't understand the MLS' logic behind their playoff format. And you're right, if they're going to continue doing this kind of crap they might as well go single table. I personally like that format in other leagues around the world. But, I can't deny that I would rather have conferences, as long as they MADE SENSE!

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Those sound like wonderful improvements.

RedBull Soccer in the snow of February woot.

I love me some football in the snow. And with the addition of the Bulls makes it better.

Russia does it...

Those sound like wonderful improvements.

RedBull Soccer in the snow of February woot.

I love me some football in the snow. And with the addition of the Bulls makes it better.

Russia does it...

Russia plays a schedule similar to MLS. Starts in March ends in Novemeber.

I highly doubt MLS will actually switch to a "winter" schedule It is just lip service to FIFA to help get the World Cup. It would be suicide for MLS to go to a "winter" schedule. People will go out in the winter for NFL playoff games, but not mid-season MLS game. Plus that format would MLS directly up against the NBA and NHL and more importantly putting their playoffs at the same time as those playoffs. That puts pressure on the scheduling to find TV time for them.

The schedule works right now as is. No need to change it because the spotlight, despite how small it is, is only shared with baseball throughout a huge chunk of the MLS season. Doing a more or less 'winter' season will probably hurt them far more then they think.

Oh, and as for division alignment...

Eastern Division:

New England Revolution

Red Bull New York

Toronto FC

Philadelphia Union

D.C. United

Columbus Crew

Central Division:

Sporting Club Kansas City

FC Dallas

Chicago Fire

Houston Dynamo

Colorado Rapids

Real Salt Lake

Western Division:

Seattle Sounders FC

Chivas USA

Los Angeles Galaxy

San Jose Earthquakes

Portland Timbers

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Division winners earn the top three seeds while 4 through 10 are determined via record.

Playoff format

-First Round: 10 vs. 7 and 9 vs. 8 in single game at higher seed

-2nd Round: 8/9 winner vs. 1, 10/7 winner vs. 2, 6 vs. 3 and 5 vs. 4 in home and home aggregate series

-Semifinals: 1/8/9 winner vs. 4/5 winner and 2/7/10 vs. 3/6 winner in single game at higher seed

-Semifinal winners meet in MLS Cup

Archived