Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

Those sound like wonderful improvements.

RedBull Soccer in the snow of February woot.

I love me some football in the snow. And with the addition of the Bulls makes it better.

Russia does it...

Russia plays a schedule similar to MLS. Starts in March ends in Novemeber.

I highly doubt MLS will actually switch to a "winter" schedule It is just lip service to FIFA to help get the World Cup. It would be suicide for MLS to go to a "winter" schedule. People will go out in the winter for NFL playoff games, but not mid-season MLS game. Plus that format would MLS directly up against the NBA and NHL and more importantly putting their playoffs at the same time as those playoffs. That puts pressure on the scheduling to find TV time for them.

Actually I was wrong but not for long, Russia will start the Winter schedule ahead of the 12/13 season. Imagine soccer being played in Siberia?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love me some football in the snow. And with the addition of the Bulls makes it better.

Russia does it...

I highly doubt MLS will actually switch to a "winter" schedule It is just lip service to FIFA to help get the World Cup. It would be suicide for MLS to go to a "winter" schedule. People will go out in the winter for NFL playoff games, but not mid-season MLS game. Plus that format would MLS directly up against the NBA and NHL and more importantly putting their playoffs at the same time as those playoffs. That puts pressure on the scheduling to find TV time for them.

They could do a split season to at least avoid the worst of the winter months (in terms of both weather and competition from other sports). It could go something like this:

• First half of season: August thru mid-November (w/ Oct/Nov schedule skewed toward Sun Belt markets)
  • Winter break: Mid-November thru mid-January
  • Second half of season: Mid-January thru late April (w/ Jan/Feb schedule skewed toward Sun Belt markets)
  • MLS Cup playoffs: Late April thru mid-May (mid-May MLS Cup final avoids competing w/ NBA or Stanley Cup Finals)
  • Summer break: Mid-May thru July (to accommodate the World Cup and other summer int'l tournaments)

Also, Colorado's MLS Cup triumph has not gone unnoticed by its partner club in England:

Arsenal.com: Colorado Rapids win 2010 MLS Cup

So, at least the weekend (which also saw the Gunners blow a 2-0 lead to lose at home to the hated Spurs) wasn't a total loss for the North London club...

CCSLC signature.png

Russia does it...

They could do a split season to at least avoid the worst of the winter months (in terms of both weather and competition from other sports). It could go something like this:

• First half of season: August thru mid-November (w/ Oct/Nov schedule skewed toward Sun Belt markets)
  • Winter break: Mid-November thru mid-January
  • Second half of season: Mid-January thru late April (w/ Jan/Feb schedule skewed toward Sun Belt markets)
  • MLS Cup playoffs: Late April thru mid-May (mid-May MLS Cup final avoids competing w/ NBA or Stanley Cup Finals)
  • Summer break: Mid-May thru July (to accommodate the World Cup and other summer int'l tournaments)

Also, Colorado's MLS Cup triumph has not gone unnoticed by its partner club in England:

Arsenal.com: Colorado Rapids win 2010 MLS Cup

So, at least the weekend (which also saw the Gunners blow a 2-0 lead to lose at home to the hated Spurs) wasn't a total loss for the North London club...

I don't think taking big breaks in the middle of the season would be good for MLS in what is a crowded sports market.

As for the Arsenal article not surprising given the two have the same owner.

Just finished watching a great program on PBS about the history of soccer St. Louis. It was mostly about the St. Louis University men's soccer dynasty of the 1960's and 70's and the talent that came out of the city of St. Louis itself. The show is called "A Time For Champions".

IF LIFE THROWS YOU A LEMON.............KICK IT'S :censored:ING ASS!

Portland and Vancouver's rosters begin to take shape as the Expansion Draft begins at 1:45 PM ET today.

Vancouver hits the Sounders early by using their 1st and 3rd picks on Seattle players. Dallas also had their allotted two taken early.

2010 Major League Soccer Expansion Draft Selections (former club in parentheses)

Portland Timbers

Dax McCarty - M (FC Dallas)

Eric Brunner - D (Columbus Crew)

Adam Moffat - M (Columbus Crew)

Anthony Wallace - D (Colorado Rapids)

David Horst - D (Real Salt Lake)

Robbie Findley - F (Real Salt Lake)

Peter Lowery - M (Chicago Fire)

Jonathan Bornstein - D (Chivas USA)

Jordan Gray - D (DC United)

Arturo Alvarez - M (San Jose Earthquakes)

Vancouver Whitecaps FC

Sanna Nyassi - M (Seattle Sounders FC)

Atiba Harris - M (FC Dallas)

Nathan Sturgis - M (Seattle Sounders FC)

Shea Salinas - D (Philadelphia Union)

Alan Gordon - F (Chivas USA)

O'Brien White - F (Toronto FC)

Alejandro Moreno - F (Philadelphia Union)

Joe Cannon - G - (San Jose Earthquakes)

Jonathan Leathers - D (Sporting Kansas City)

John Thorrington - M (Chicago Fire)

I don't understand what Portland was doing with selecting Bornstein and Findley as both are on their way out of the league, Bornstein has already signed. Vancouver on the other hand should be able to compete right off the hop, probably won't make the playoffs but should be competitive.

ManchesterCity_10Sig.png

I was shocked to see anyone from DC United taken, especially Jordan Graye. I guess they figure hes young enough to make a difference down the road but he singlehandedly cost us at least 2 or 3 games with horrible turnovers late in the game. Puzzling draft by the Timbers.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Dax McCarty's time as a Portland Timber is shortlived, DC United sends Rodney Wallace and a 4th rd pick to Portland for him. I like it!

Dax McCarty's time as a Portland Timber is shortlived, DC United sends Rodney Wallace and a 4th rd pick to Portland for him. I like it!

Well this is quite the pre-Thanksgiving Day surprise. Didn't realize the FO had any balls left to make a move this early in the off-season. Welcome to DC Dax!

Vancouver has also traded four of their draft picks t three MLS clubs for international roster spots and/or allocation money:

• First rounder Nyassi to Colorado for international player slot
  • fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money
  • Sixth rounder O'Brien White to Seattle for allocation money

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Vancouver has also traded four of their draft picks t three MLS clubs for international roster spots and/or allocation money:

• First rounder Nyassi to Colorado for international player slot
  • fifth-round selection Alan Gordon back to Chivas USA for another international player spot, as well as seventh-round selection Alejandro Moreno to Chivas USA for allocation money
  • Sixth rounder O'Brien White to Seattle for allocation money

And they trade Sturgis to TFC for a draft pick.

But hey, they kept their keeper. That's gotta count.

What I don't get is that they had every intention to sign Jay Nolley (and did today) so why draft another keeper? I guess they don't think Nolley is going to cut it in MLS?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I think Soehn has had Nolly before at DCU. Having 2 good ones is never a bad thing. I dont know if Nolly has improved but he was pretty well relegated to 3rd keeper status here.

I think Soehn has had Nolly before at DCU. Having 2 good ones is never a bad thing. I dont know if Nolly has improved but he was pretty well relegated to 3rd keeper status here.

I don't really know these players at all, but just looking at the ages of the two keepers, Cannon (35) is your wiley MLS veteran, and Nolly (28) your younger guy.

Archived