Domestic Soccer 2009-10

BrySmalls

I thought Qatar wasn't certain yet (an hour ago, anyway).

Money talks. Qatar has money. The US bid would probably have to be shared by China, given that they basically own you guys now anyway.

Pfft. America owes so much money to China the USMNT will be wearing red jerseys in 2022.

It must suck, though, what with not getting the Chicago Olympic bid, and now this. It almost makes you guys seem human :D

Dipping into the well twice for the same joke?

Personally I was hoping for England to get '018 and the US to get '022, I thought it would have been cool. Speaking of which, now Im curious to see a country with summer average of 115°, and a national population under two million pull this off.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pfft. America owes so much money to China the USMNT will be wearing red jerseys in 2022.

By 2022, China as we know it likely won't even exist.

Thirty years of nearly unfettered economic growth doesn't guarantee unending economic growth. In fact, logic dictates that the likelihood of China's economy continuing to grow at such a pace is, in fact, diminishing. China's economy is nowhere near as strong as it seems. As a result, the country's political stability, which is predicated on continued rapid growth of said economy, is tremendously precarious.

Modern China is no longer held together by ideology. Rather, it is held together by money. When the Chinese economy faces an economic downturn, which is inevitable, not only will the country's financial system be hit, but the entire foundation of Chinese society will begin to crumble. Given that "loyalty" in modern China is either bought or coerced, once the money dries up, only coercion will remain. In a nation where poverty is endemic and unemployment is widespread, coercion will only remain an effective means of insuring "loyalty" for so long. As such, there is a very real chance that Chinese society, indeed the country itself, will splinter.

Historically, during those periods when China has opened itself up to the world, it has been two nations within one. China's eastern coastal regions have been prosperous, while the interior regions have known abject poverty. China finds itself in just such a position now. Businesses on the coast, enjoying the prosperity fueled by foreign trade and investment, are beginning to gravitate towards their foreign interests. Simultaneously, they're chafing under the oversight of the central government, an entity they'd love to break free from. In order to do so, they'll attempt to call upon foreign powers to protect their interests. Meanwhile, the significantly poorer residents of the interior will either attempt to move to China's coastal regions or begin to call upon the central government to tax the businesses of the coast and transfer the money inland. Either way, Beijing will be caught in the middle of a furious tug-of-war. The question becomes, how will Beijing cope? Will it weaken and lose control of the situation, or will it come down hard and move China back to a Maoist isolationism?

Frankly. I can't see China's central government effectively imposing order. Far too many members of the central government, including those nominally responsible for managing the Communist party apparatus, are beholden to self-interest that opposes centralization. They're part of the very eastern coastal elite that China's interior population despises. As a result, I see China's central government weakening in the face of an economic downturn, with the country fracturing along traditional regional lines. China will return to a pre-Mao state, rife with regional competition and conflict. Foreign interests will rush to take advantage of this situation by playing regions against one another for financial gain. All the while, what is left of China's central government will scramble to hold the nation together, but ultimately fail to do so.

"[R]ed jerseys" indeed.

Good article regarding the engineering aspects of the proposed stadiums as well as taking them apart and rebuilding the stadiums in other locations once the WC is over.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662812/qatars-world-cup-engineering-marvel-pr-nightmare#1

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Money talks. Qatar has money. The US bid would probably have to be shared by China, given that they basically own you guys now anyway.

It must suck, though, what with not getting the Chicago Olympic bid, and now this. It almost makes you guys seem human :D

Never stopped Krusty.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Good article regarding the engineering aspects of the proposed stadiums as well as taking them apart and rebuilding the stadiums in other locations once the WC is over.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662812/qatars-world-cup-engineering-marvel-pr-nightmare#1

I think most of us will (eventually) agree that the concept of giving these stadiums to the Djiboutis, Yemens, and Bangladeshes of the world was nothing more than poor PR claptrap, and will quietly be forgotten by the time 2022 rolls around.

(For :censored: s sake, they don't need/want the stadiums. There's probably a thousand things at least they could use before getting them.)

I noticed the "Albert Speer" thing yesterday. I understand he's your father and all, but I still would have encouraged either a legal name change or minimizing your name on the company letterhead had I been a PR advisor.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think most of us will (eventually) agree that the concept of giving these stadiums to the Djiboutis, Yemens, and Bangladeshes of the world was nothing more than poor PR claptrap, and will quietly be forgotten by the time 2022 rolls around.

(For :censored: s sake, they don't need/want the stadiums. There's probably a thousand things at least they could use before getting them.)

I noticed the "Albert Speer" thing yesterday. I understand he's your father and all, but I still would have encouraged either a legal name change or minimizing your name on the company letterhead had I been a PR advisor.

These countries will be the "chop shops" for these stadiums, if you will. Break em down, sell em for parts.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Never stopped Krusty.

I served with Herschel Krustofski, I knew Herschel Krustofski, Herschel Krustofski was a friend of mine. Sir, you're no Herschel Krustofski.

These countries will be the "chop shops" for these stadiums, if you will. Break em down, sell em for parts.

I suggested earlier that they would probably ask for the cash equivalent of the stadium. ^_^

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reentry Draft

The first MLS re-entry draft provides veterans with the freedom to move to other clubs within the league. The first stage is Wednesday, the second the following week. Players available are primarily those who did not have the option on their contract exercised and hope to retain that salary in 2011. The 2010 finish determined the selection order, with D.C. United picking first. High-profile players are intriguing but most come with a substantial price tag.

The Re-Entry Draft order is the same as the Waiver Draft order and follows below:

1. D.C. United

2. Chivas USA

3. Philadelphia Union

4. New England Revolution

5. Houston Dynamo

6. Toronto FC

7. Chicago Fire

8. Sporting Kansas City

9. Seattle Sounders FC

10. Columbus Crew

11. New York Red Bulls

12. Real Salt Lake

13. San Jose Earthquakes

14. LA Galaxy

15. FC Dallas

16. Colorado Rapids

17. Vancouver Whitecaps FC

18. Portland Timbers

Players Available:

MF Marcelo Saragosa, Chivas USA

D Alex Zotinca, Chivas USA

MF-F Claudio Lopez, Colorado Rapids

MF Ciaran O'Brien, Colorado Rapids

MF Peter Vagenas, Colorado Rapids

D Frankie Hejduk, Columbus Crew

MF Duncan Oughton, Columbus Crew

D Gino Padula, Columbus Crew

MF-F Guillermo Barros Schelotto, Columbus Crew

F Jaime Moreno, D.C. United

F Jeff Cunningham, FC Dallas

GK Dario Sala, FC Dallas

D Ryan Cochrane, Houston Dynamo

D-MF Richard Mulrooney, Houston Dynamo

F Joseph Ngwenya, Houston Dynamo

GK Pat Onstad, Houston Dynamo

MF Adrian Serioux, Houston Dynamo

MF-F Jovan Kirovski, Los Angeles Galaxy

MF Dema Kovalenko, Los Angeles Galaxy

GK Chris Sharpe, MLS pool goalkeeper

GK Preston Burpo, New England Revolution

MF Nico Colaluca, New England Revolution

D Cory Gibbs, New England Revolution

MF Khano Smith, New England Revolution

F Juan Pablo Angel, New York Red Bulls

MF Luke Sassano, New York Red Bulls

D Carey Talley, New York Red Bulls

MF-F Fred, Philadelphia Union

GK Chris Seitz, Philadelphia Union

MF Khari Stephenson, San Jose Earthquakes

D Tyrone Marshall, Seattle Sounders

D Jimmy Conrad, Sporting Kansas City

D Aaron Hohlbein, Sporting Kansas City

F Josh Wolff, Sporting Kansas City

D Nick Garcia, Toronto FC

For rules and guidelines.....

Clubs must exercise the option for, or extend a bonafide offer to, players selected in the first stage. Players who were out of contract may either accept or reject the bonafide offer. Should a player reject the offer, the drafting club will hold the right of first refusal for that player in MLS. Players with option years left on their contract will automatically be added to the drafting club's roster.

Any player selected in Stage 1 will remain on the drafting club's 2011 budget at the option price or bonafide offer price until April 1, 2011. Clubs and players may not mutually renegotiate that price to a lower number until April 1.

In Stage 2, clubs may select from players that are under contract and those not under contract. If a player is not under contract, the drafting club will be required to make a genuine offer to the player within seven days. In the event that an agreement cannot be reached between the drafting club and an out-of-contract player, the drafting club will hold the right of first refusal for that player in MLS. Clubs may select their own players in Stage 2 only after all other clubs have declined to select those players.

If a player is not selected in either stage of the re-entry process, that player will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis to all clubs.

Wow, shocked to see Qatar get the bid. The amount of people traveling for the tournament will probably be larger than the country's population a few times over.

That could be a problem after the games are over and the country has these huge stadiums and nothing to fill them with. The World Cup will surely bring alot of money to Qatar, but it will also cost them a ton of money to build everything (especially since the stadiums need some kind of special air conditioning). I'm not sure they will gross as much money as they think. This could end up being a huge strain on the country's economy. It will be interesting to see how they make out 5-10 years after they host.

Wow, shocked to see Qatar get the bid. The amount of people traveling for the tournament will probably be larger than the country's population a few times over.

That could be a problem after the games are over and the country has these huge stadiums and nothing to fill them with. The World Cup will surely bring alot of money to Qatar, but it will also cost them a ton of money to build everything (especially since the stadiums need some kind of special air conditioning). I'm not sure they will gross as much money as they think. This could end up being a huge strain on the country's economy. It will be interesting to see how they make out 5-10 years after they host.

They have oil and natural gas. The stadiums are called to be cooled by photovoltaic (aka solar) technology. They are getting 12 years worth of PR. They could make societal changes as they need to, but hotels and clubs currently sell booze.

I'm quite pleased that the rotational policy and voting procedures resulted in the Middle East region being able to host their first globally-watched sporting event. As dfwabel said, Qatar has oil and natural gas, so financing shouldn't be a problem. As for what to do with some of the stadiums that won't likely be filled afterward? Change the function of the building to an industrial warehouse or manufacturing plant. I've thought for a while that the oil-rich nations of the Arabian Peninsula should consider what happens to their economies once the oil runs out, but I think that's best left for another thread.

I'm quite pleased that the rotational policy and voting procedures resulted in the Middle East region being able to host their first globally-watched sporting event. As dfwabel said, Qatar has oil and natural gas, so financing shouldn't be a problem. As for what to do with some of the stadiums that won't likely be filled afterward? Change the function of the building to an industrial warehouse or manufacturing plant. I've thought for a while that the oil-rich nations of the Arabian Peninsula should consider what happens to their economies once the oil runs out, but I think that's best left for another thread.

LOL WUT.

/Oil and gas won't last forever. Their neighbors to the West and East are already contemplating post-oil.

Today, we are all otaku.

LOL WUT.

/Oil and gas won't last forever. Their neighbors to the West and East are already contemplating post-oil.

Isn't that what I said? Anyway, I hope those nations are looking to the future. I am admittedly on-board with the people who are sometimes called "left-wing hippie nutjobs", who want to see a world that doesn't entirely depend upon fossil fuels.

And I don't actually know if a stadium can be converted into another type of building easily or not. I was just thinking out loud.

Archived