Cleveland Cavaliers - Back to Orange & Blue

baronvg

When Cavaliers redesigned their logo and color scheme when Lebron was drafted, I liked it. But, over time, I realized that those colors are being used by a few other sports teams, e.g. Houston Astros & Arizona Diamondbacks. So, I just wondered what the current logo would look like if they just kept their colors from the mid 80s to mid 90s. I even used their colors from the 70s as highlights.

cavs%20all.png

And if anyone is interested, I also did a few other teams just as an experiment.

What if teams used their original colors instead?

A lot of people here will give you grief for a recoloring. I'm not completely against recolorings because sometimes changing the colors can be a great concept. As for the Cavs, I don't really follow your reasoning for changing the colors. You named two teams that aren't even in the same sport, and don't have the same color scheme. Those teams use a variation of brick, sand, and black, while the Cavs use maroon, navy, and gold. But I can't say the new logo looks bad. I checked out the other recolorings, and I really like the Anaheim Ducks one. I think a T-Wolves one would be interesting with the old royal blue and green rather than thier current colors.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

I mean, it looks decent in those colors, but anyone can use the fill tool. How long did this take you: 5, 10 minutes? I'd be much more impressed if you came up with decent jersey sets to go along with it. That's why your blog bores me, honestly. Side note: I can't really envision many teams in the NBA with orange and blue other than the Knicks.

It was worthwhile to look at. If you put ten minutes into a project, most people will spend five mintues viewing it. And I think thats all he wants. He had a small concept and developed to the extent that he wanted to develop it to. Thats all. Not every post on here has to be some huge analytic endeavor, sometimes its just nice to look over something; besides I find myself filling in the blanks in my head.

It was worthwhile to look at. If you put ten minutes into a project, most people will spend five minutes viewing it. And I think thats all he wants. He had a small concept and developed to the extent that he wanted to develop it to. Thats all. Not every post on here has to be some huge analytic endeavor, sometimes its just nice to look over something; besides I find myself filling in the blanks in my head.

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I should have clarified myself. I wasn't trying to present anything new and innovative. I've been reading in a few places how people were interested in seeing what a particular logo looked like with different colors. So I wanted to do them a favor and give them some examples. That's all. Thanks, Phlash, for understanding the intent. I appreciate it.

Why would they revert to colors associated with failure?

jordans-game-winner-over-ehlo.jpg

This is what blue and orange represent for the Cavaliers. That and playing in an arena so poorly located that it was replaced with a forest preserve.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why would they revert to colors associated with failure?

jordans-game-winner-over-ehlo.jpg

This is what blue and orange represent for the Cavaliers. That and playing in an arena so poorly located that it was replaced with a forest preserve.

Last time they were actually considered good they wore blue and orange, so I think you may be confused.

Does Mark Price ring a bell? How about Brad Daugherty?

The seasons they wore blue and orange they put up records of

1983/84 | 28-54

1984/85 | 36-46= Loss to Celtics in first round

1985/86 | 29-53

1986/87 | 31-51= Daugherty and Price drafted

1987/88 | 42-40= Loss to Bulls in first round

1988/89 | 57-25= Loss to Bulls in first round

1989/90 | 42-40= Loss to Nets in first round (Brad Daugherty missed season)

1990/91 | 33-49= Mark Price out for 60+ games

1991/92 | 57-25= Eastern Conference Finals Loss to Bulls

1992/93 | 54-28= Loss to Bulls in second round

1993/94 | 47-35= Loss to Bulls in first round (Larry Nance/Brad Daugherty huge injuries during season)

Bold=Playoffs

Bold/Red=Loss to Bulls in Playoffs

They made the playoffs 7 out of 11 seasons.

They lost to MJ and the Bulls 5 out of the 7 times.

Just cause they lost to MJ and the Bulls multiple times doesn't really mean they're failures in my opinion.

Anyone must've been a failure in your eyes, considering the Bulls dominated.

Think again my friend. (No offense btw, I'm just defensive when it comes to my Cavs.)

Now if it were a recolor to baby blue, black, and orange it'd be a different story.

As for the concept. I kinda like how it looks, but I think the whole idea the Cavaliers had in mind when changing there identity (and colors) was to welcome in hopes for a change/turnaround to the team as well (after a 5 year playoff draught from 1998-2003.)

I know this harkens back to the days when they were good, but I think not changing would be the best option. No need to really.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

No offense back, but that's still a pretty crappy run. Maybe in the world of Cleveland sports, repeatedly getting bounced in the first round constitutes success, but when it comes to eras of the Cavaliers as delineated by their uniforms through 2003, there are only varying degrees of blech, which is why starting from scratch was a smart move for the LeBron era.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No offense back, but that's still a pretty crappy run. Maybe in the world of Cleveland sports, repeatedly getting bounced in the first round constitutes success, but when it comes to eras of the Cavaliers as delineated by their uniforms through 2003, there are only varying degrees of blech, which is why starting from scratch was a smart move for the LeBron era.

(No offense taken.)

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see where you are coming from (I'm in no way bragging), I just don't think failure was the best word for that particular era.

If you were talking from 1994-2003 (like I mentioned), then the word "failure" would be a perfect word to use. :P

And I agree starting from scratch (well almost; except for the fact that they brought back the wine and gold color combo) was probably the best move they could've went with.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived