Something I whipped up this weekend

undead

I've been thinking about doing this concept for a while. It's based on the Discovery Channel show "Deadliest Catch". In case you don't know, the show is about crab fishermen in the Bering Sea. I discovered that another name for crab fishermen is "Crabbers". It sounded interesting so I made a baseball concept of it. The thought behind the logo is this, the crabber throws out a buoy connected to the trap that catches the crab. It takes some time for the crab to assemble in the trap so the crabber uses the buoy to find the traps later. I changed the buoy to a baseball. Behind him are icicles because the storms in the Bering Sea make ice collect on the ships. My real inspiration for the logo is I finally wanted to make something that shows motion. My logos are always a 3/4 view of someone either facing left or right.

The font is heavily modified by me(pretty much a first). My wordmarks always look so drab so this is my first attempt at a sort of bevel. I also added crab claws to make it unique. Without further babbling, here it is:

crabbersprimarywithoutline.png

Normally, I work on a concept, put it aside, work on it some more. I literally don't post my concept for months after I start them. I figured I would try something different here, get it as finished as possible and then post it. You guys have helped me so much in the past, I figure why not use you at an earlier stage.

Let me know what you guys think.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

It's a great start. Just way too many things going on, but it's very clean.

I'd say lose the icicles. They didn't translate well at all to me at first, and I didn't know what they were until I read your description. I think it compiclates things a bit, and just takes up space.

Not a fan of the colors. Maybe change the gray to a light blue, and darken the royal/navy. The gray makes it seem so drab and not eye catching.

The gray streak conveying motion on the baseball should either be rid of or put behind the baseball.

The gray streak on the huge arm swipe motion, the one that almost touches his right shoulder, should be curved along the blue path, not a straight line. The width between it and the blue should be equal.

Lastly, I'd say lose the crab claws. Again, it makes things busy, and they didn't translate to claws at first to me. They just don't go well with the rest of the logo. I'd recommend using the claws in some sort of design for an alternate/cap logo though.

Great job, just needs some tweaking.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Great work as usual Undead. I agree with the points Chestnutz made, the biggest thing bugging me is the claws in the wordmark, and the colors. Besides those things, it's a nice concept. I dont mind the icicles, but also couldnt tell what they were at first. Great Job though, it's great seeing your work.

Great work. I'm a deadliest catch fan (as I'm sure you are) and when I saw this I thought three things. Enlarge the ball to make it like a crab trap's bouy, play up the crab part of it by exagerating it in the C somehow, and add in a crab ship as a secondary. Great stuff.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

AWESOME start! I would make the ball larger also because the perspective of it being thrown towards us would make it MUCH bigger, don't be afraid to make it huge! Good start on the wordmark also--as the others said the crab claws look a little off. I would only use 2 (you have three counting the two on the C and one on the S. They don't look much like claws to me either--maybe they just don't stand out enough.

For what you were looking to do though this is great--it definitely shows motion, I think the larger ball will make a big difference too. Keep it up!

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

Thanks for all the comments guys! It helped me to see the direction this concept needed to go. I got rid of the stupid icicle background. I wanted some shape in the back to anchor the picture but it turns out I don't need it. Let me know what you guys think. I darkened the blue, and made the ball bigger. I got rid of one of the crab claws on the wordmark and still kept the 2 connected to the 'C'. I really didn't mean for people to realize they were claws. I wanted them to make the workmark seem more interesting and if 10 percent of the people realized they were hidden claws, all the better. I tried to replace the gray with light blue, as chestnutz suggested, but I just couldn't make it work. I made the bevel on the wordmark white instead of gray which, I think, makes it "pop" a little more. I also fixed the motion of the ball and arm as chestnutz requested.

How is this version?

crabbersprimarydarkblue.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

MUCH better. This is a very good logo now. I see you were kind of going for the stitches to look like claws but IMO it should just be more like traditional stitching. That's the only thing that I can really see and even that's a stretch. :P

g4104.png

this is really cool! I like deadliest catch as well :) I love the idea and you executed the logo very well. now I think you need some secondaries. maybe a bouy or a ship like hettinger said, or a crab itself. im sure you'll think of something. great work!

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

A warm summer's night...Suckin' back some cold Dutch Harbor draft...Munchin' on some crab fritters... Watchin' the Crabbers play ball...

Love the name/logo/concept. I don't know if you need the "whoosh" on the ball; maybe make it a little bigger and move it up out of the letters and under his throwing arm. I'm being picky.

I'm really liking the "C" with the crab claws. It's simple, effective and kind of quirky in a good way. You might have your secondary logo right there. It would look great as the cap logo.

The bevelling really makes the letters stand out.

Nice stuff!

Archived