A few soccer concepts...

elliott

Actually, they do have a point; they definitely don't cave in like an apple.

I think the green is highly superior to the blue in pretty much every way, though the kits are a bit busy. Also, the MLS numbers are single-color in pretty much all cases that I've seen.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just a generic nitpicky question: Can the Coca-Cola logo be changed to fit the color scheme of the uniform? I would think that it would have to be an approved color according to the brand identity, am I right? The way it is on the clash kit now, dark green is what I'm talking about. It's not a criticism of your work at all, just a question of out curiosity. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Sponsor logos can either be black, white or any of the team colors, that's it. For example, Chicago fire have Best Buy in red and black, but could not use the yellow BB tag logo at all.

I'm still not convinced that the Blue/Orange combo is overused, just that it's not underused. Forgive me. That said, I do find Green/Orange interesting, but I'm more a fan of Orange/Blue. And still not a fan of all the busy striping, even if MLS sides do typically sport the style. I wonder how a simplified kit, along with stripes that circle the entire shirt ala Celtic, would look.

Well, I decided to do a few more soccer concepts, if you have seen the Columbus Crew's logo you know how awful it is, it looks more like an add for firehouse subs or something. So, yesterday I took a shot at a badge for them. For the colors, I tweaked the yellow color, and lightened up the gray to more of a Cowboy's blue-gray. I didn't really know what I was going to do at first, but I came up with a rendering of a soccer ball that I liked, and went from there. The crossed items are supposed to be hatchets, showing the working class or something. My other ideas were hammers, and also I was going to put an anvil in there, but it was too cluttered, but if this doesn't go over well I could go back to those.

The jerseys are interesting since I don't know of any MLS teams that look like this (but tell me if a team does do this). I wanted to make the keeper color really noticable so it is a salmon-pinkish-red.

Tell me what you think, I'm planning to do at least one more soccer concept after this, but after that I might be done.

columbuscrew.gif

columbuscrew-jerseys.gif

good start...i dont like CREW hitting the bottom of the orange banner though, messes up the readability too much. i also dont think the soccer ball "secondary mark" works on the shorts. make up a new secondary mark that describes the whole team identity to put on the shorts. nice work with the colors and uni design.

Ah yes, my dreams are coming true, elliot is doing soccer concepts!!!

That said, this one isn't up to par.

-Definitely put in hammers instead of the hatchets. For most American soccer fans, if they see axes, they'll think Portland Timbers. And since Portland is joining the MLS in a couple years, you can't really have two MLS teams with axes in their primary.

-As Conrad said, move the text up in the badge so it doesn't hit the bottom of the banner.

-I've never been a fan of the Cowboy blue hue gray, so I'd recommend just a regular silver.

-Not a fan of the kits. They're unique, but they scream early 90's to me.

-Stick with black and yellow, not orange.

-Speaking of kits, I'd say for the primary jersey go with what they have currently (or last year, not sure), with the whole kit being black, and one thick yellow stripe down the middle. That was one of my favorite jerseys last year. It looks like Ajax Amsterdam's home kit, if you're not sure.

Hope to see more.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I dont like how both are very similar. A sheild with some sort of representation of the team (peach, axes), then a banner with the team name. just the way you designed them make them look alike, idk if its just me or what.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

Elliot,

Really liking the badges so far. The Peach State FC badge update with the subtle hoops looks nice. And the Crew badge is obviously miles ahead of their current "badge" haha. As far as the kits, I think the current Crew kits are as nice as they've ever been with the wide striping and their gold and black. Personally, I'd use that as inspiration and play around with that look.

Don't agree at all JayLo. They're significantly different, and anyone that knows soccer knows that that's the most common badge type (including a ball, some symbol, and a banner). There's just hundreds of different ways going about it.

spacer.png

The number font is the MLS' official font, he has no choice in that area.

It's still not there IMO. It's got a bunch of potential, but the kits are really turning me off.

-Updated crest is perfect.

-Still don't like the colors. I'd prefer a conventional gray and a less orangey yellow. Just go for pure yellow.

-I'm a firm believer that their home kit last year was perfect. A vertical stripe, not a horizontal one.

Here's a picture of what I mean

usa_columbus_2_08.gif

If you just updated that slightly, it'd be perfect.

Just go for their current yellow!

spacer.png

Do they? Sorry, I'm not familiar with MLS. Ignore that then.

Otherwise then, good job on the uniforms. I did kind of like the diagonal stripes, but this is a really nice look.

(But seriously, why would the MLS do that? It seems terribly restricting for uniform design)

hmmmmmm...im sorry i put it too general of terms before. I don't want anyone getting upset or anything. I just thought the way you designed them was similar. for example, chelsea fc has their badge in a circle with the name going around the top and bottom. mean while teams like Man U and west ham have their names in decorative banners flowing along the bottom or top. which is what you did but it looks kinda boring. don't get me wrong elliot I LOVE your work and these concepts are good, but there is more you could do here

EDIT: by the way I like your update on the jersey, lookin' realll nice.

lrg_6444e0b331f54e979d389637de158186.jpg

^^^

A. I'd rather not compare to european soccer because if american soccer could come up with a completely different branding style and be successful with little dependence on european styles, I would be happy

B. I'm not too worried if you say it is boring because I'm going for simplicity here, really.

columbuscrew4.gif

columbuscrew-jerseys4.gif

Update numero dos, Once again I have listened to chesnutz because that is obviously the smart thing to do! :) Yellow and gray are different shades. I used a lot of gray on the yellow jersey to distance from the existing jerseys a little. I think it has improved, though, so thanks chesnutz.

I think I have to agree that this is really missing the mark.

- All-yellow is the current primary at Columbus, and I can't see any reason to change that.

- That latest yellow looks a bit too dingy, and the gray looks completely out of place with the yellow and black.

- The badge looks like a collection of disjointed elements. There's no connection between anything; no flow.

- The font on the badge doesn't really fit.

- The template, especially the differently-colored collar, looks really awkward.

I'm trying to find a positive here, but I'm coming up short. I liked your work on the Atlanta idea, but this one needs to start over, I think.

Also, it's interesting that you included a sponsor for the new team, but not the Crew's existing sponsor, Glidden. I also don't feel the need for the number on the front of a club team kit, and it's something that you kept off the Atlanta kit ideas.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

as for your concepts and works - some wonderful work (**)

Peach City

+ I love the navy/orange/white combo, looks very cool!

- don't really like the striping and neither the light blue and light orange on the home and clash unis.

Columbus Crew

+ jersey template with the double sash is awesome! I honestly have seldom seen anykind of concepts or designs, where sashes (and on both sides) fit well enough even with the back numbers on it.

Is there any chance you could make merge a combo of those 2 with a personal modification?

jerseys template: sash crew jersey

colors: navy, orange, white of your peach city concept (without the light colors)

Home: navy kit, big orange sash, small white one

Clash: orange kit, big navy sash, small white one

and instead of Player 23 > Ben 7 and no Columbus Crew wording

Archived