Washington Colonials Logo

jaha32

I know exactly what your saying Undead and you are right in saying that the only reason I did it with the sword behind the word 'Washington'. It does throw off the perspective, and this was one of the areas I struggled with when finishing off the final touches of the logo. I will see what I can do with the sword in front of the outer circle and post the changes soon. Maybe just shortening the name to DC, but I like having it say Washington at the same time.

As far as your first comment, Undead, I do have a couple other logos I am working on and will post them when theyre ready, but I really go in spirts of doing alot of designing and then none at all for awhile so I never know. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Fantastic work. I liked it with the longer, sharper coat tail. It contrasted with the sharp point of the sword well. I like it without the "shine" on the circle, it didn't come across clear enough but not a bad idea. Keep the sword behind the circle obviously, it adds a little depth to the logo which is awesome. The buttons on the coat also need to stay, I picked up immediately as to what they are and they work really well. Overall, keep it up, very very good work!

Just my own two cents, but do you think just two buttons would work instead of four? I think it would come off easier to get what they are. Or make them follow down the line of the coat instead of two by two. I dunno, it does look confusing. But I think with the overall good job you did here, it could slide.

UJ

So I decided I like the name "Washington Generals" better than "Colonials" after all and made the changes. The secondary logo now is a "G" which I think looks better than the one with the "C". I kept the 4 buttons although some had a difficult time telling what they were simply because all the pictures Ive seen of General Washington had this type of jacket similar to a Napolean jacket with rows of buttons. The tail of the jacket is pointy again but not as long as before. I guess not a whole lot has changed and I could not find an effective way to bring the sword in front of the circle although it does throw off the perspective a bit like Undead said. I guess it's one of those things where a logo doesnt always emulate real life exactly

Generals.jpg

Nice. The biggest issues I see are the face, for one. It looks too flat, for lack of a better term. Use the blue color to create some shadows, which will add depth and balance out the large amount of flesh color there that's making it look flat. The other area is the frontmost leg, where the top of the sock and the bottom of the pant meet at the knee, your perspective is off. We can see the bottom of the shoe, which tells us that we are looking 'up' from below, and with the leg being (approximately) a cylindrical shape, the sock/pant line should curve up, like an umbrella, instead of down, like a bowl.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Nice. The biggest issues I see are the face, for one. It looks too flat, for lack of a better term. Use the blue color to create some shadows, which will add depth and balance out the large amount of flesh color there that's making it look flat. The other area is the frontmost leg, where the top of the sock and the bottom of the pant meet at the knee, your perspective is off. We can see the bottom of the shoe, which tells us that we are looking 'up' from below, and with the leg being (approximately) a cylindrical shape, the sock/pant line should curve up, like an umbrella, instead of down, like a bowl.

I fixed the front pant leg so it curves upward to match the perspective. That leg looks better now. thanks for noticing that.

I also added slightly thicker blue shadows to the face although not by much and maybe not to your satisfaction. I do respect your opinion (I have seen your work and which leads me to believe you do know what you're talking about) but this is not a shadow-heavy logo like most modern logos... although there are a few shadows here. The natural colors of the individual elements are distinguishable throughout the entire logo so I think the face should follow along that idea. I know most new logos now days deal more with lighting and the way shadows fall on the objects to add depth, but if I were to suddenly add extreme shadows to the face it would no longer match the style of the rest of the body and clothing in my opinion.

Anyways here are the few updates.

Generals-1.jpg

Patsox, I've actually never really designed uniforms before. It's not really my forte. I know a lot of people on this board go in great detail about uniform designs and talk, but to me if it has some nice trim it's good to me. I'm not too picky about uni's. I don't like thick piping (dont even know if that's the right word) or thick shoulders in basketball jerseys like the Rockets, but other than that I have a hard time being creative with jerseys.

I fixed the front pant leg so it curves upward to match the perspective. That leg looks better now. thanks for noticing that.

I also added slightly thicker blue shadows to the face although not by much and maybe not to your satisfaction. I do respect your opinion (I have seen your work and which leads me to believe you do know what you're talking about) but this is not a shadow-heavy logo like most modern logos... although there are a few shadows here. The natural colors of the individual elements are distinguishable throughout the entire logo so I think the face should follow along that idea. I know most new logos now days deal more with lighting and the way shadows fall on the objects to add depth, but if I were to suddenly add extreme shadows to the face it would no longer match the style of the rest of the body and clothing in my opinion.

Anyways here are the few updates.

Generals-1.jpg

Love IT! Pointy coattails are back, big bonus for me it's uber stylised but feels right for this logo. Think the name change is a good thing too as there was a little confusion with the first few viewers thinking it was colonels and taking issue as Washington was a general (I believe? Not being from the US I'm not 100% sure though), so that works well as it gives the logo another level of meaning.

The G works every bit as well if not better than the C but one thing I would say and this is the only issue I could spot, check the thickness of your white keyline. It looks considerably wider at the top of the G than it does on the vertical at the bottom of the G, it may just be an optical thing but at first glance it certainly looks thinner at the bottom.

Excellent logo, not really anything more I can say! Great Work!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived