Washington Colonials Logo

jaha32

I haven't posted anything new on here in months but here is something I did not too long ago. Supposed to be George Washington. The name isn't completely original since I just took the "George" off of "George Washington University Colonials" but think it turned out nicely. I don't know if he actually used a sword during the Revolutionary War but guns are pretty much outlawed in logos so I placed a colonial style sword in there. The primary is a bit like the Celtics in arrangement but still very different in style.

What do ya think?

Colonials.jpg

SICK! :notworthy:

Shades of red and blue work very well together. The details in the art would lead you to think GW even w/o mentioning it. The design is also versatile enough that you could even alter it for baseball (glove instead of basketball, bat instead of sword), football (football instead of bball, Heisman hand pose) hockey (use stick).

Great concept.

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

This concept is SIDICULOUS. See, I took time to combine 2 words ( sick and ridiculous). That's how awesome it is. I really like it, and have always admired your work. I think it might work better for minor league or high school, just because it's kinda cartoony. But the quality of the work is amazing. Great job.

:winner:

I love this. The only problem I see is that Washington was a General, but that's it. I'm kinda into history, and that's the only reason it bugs me Great job though. Very well done.

I thought the same thing until I realized it's "COLONIALS" not "COLONELS" :P

I love this. The only problem I see is that Washington was a General, but that's it. I'm kinda into history, and that's the only reason it bugs me Great job though. Very well done.

I thought the same thing until I realized it's "COLONIALS" not "COLONELS" :P

Wow, you are right. My apologies. Great logo! haha

I actually thought about the name Washington Generals but decided against it because isn't that the name of the team the Harlem Globetrotters always play and make fools of?? Im thinking it is. but thanks for the feedback guys!

If you guys have any ideas for a name you like better than Colonials Im open to hearing them.

Thanks

Wow! Fantastic logos! Very well rendered, perfect amount of detail without being cluttered or overdone, and not oversimplified so the meaning is lost. I agree that without looking at the name you could figure out that this is George Washington.

I also like nesi's suggestion about the versatility of the logo. I would love to see Washington in a Heisman pose! Great work!

Very very good logo. The colors here work so well together. And the quality of the work is superb, very well rendered.

two things:

1) The 4 gold dots on his coat, I'm assuming that is some type of military ranking badge? Sorry, I'm not a big military buff or anything and I hope that wasn't as stupid of a question as I think it is...

2) The bordering over the 'NGT' in Washington is white, not gold. Any specific reason? You might want to make it gold all the way around

Otherwise, excellent work!

ccslcsig2.pngccslcsig3.pngupdate.gifccslcsig1.pngccslcsig4.png

"That ball has a hit in it, so I want it to get back in the ball bag and goof around with the other balls in there. Maybe it'll learn some sense and come out as a pop-up next time," Mark "The Bird" Fidrych

2) The bordering over the 'NGT' in Washington is white, not gold. Any specific reason? You might want to make it gold all the way around

I am assuming that that is some sort of "metallic shine" effect. If it isn't, then I, too, am clueless to why it is white in that specific spot.

UJ

Yea the white portion of the border was meant to be a metallic shine like UniformJipetto said. I guess it's not as obvious as I thought and I can easily make it gold like the rest if it doesnt across as shininess.

To answer JDayton's question - The 4 gold dots are supposed to be buttons on the jacket. Again must be something that isnt as obvious as I had origianlly thought but thats why Im getting your feedback. Was anyone else confused by the buttons?

Cappital92, Im not sure what you mean by "I love everything about this except for the curving from the left arm to the tail of his coat. If you made the end of the coat rounder, I'd have no qualms." Would it be better if it didnt come to a point? Is that what you mean?

Thanks for your guys' help and I will make the changes when I get a chance.

The right side of the logo forms a C. I don't know how you could work a D in there but if you could with out making it look forced that would be very slick.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Here is a slightly updated version. Got rid of the metallic shine on the outer circle since it didnt seem very clear that that is what it was. Also shortened the tail of the coat and rounded off the end of it. I didnt want to make it too much shorts since this type of coat worn by Washington did in fact have a very long tail. I kept the 4 buttons since the coat looked very plain without them. Hballer might disagree but I think it's better now. Is it??

Colonials-1.jpg

Awesome work as usual jaha. Please tell us you're back for good. We could really use someone like you around here.

The only change I would like to see is if you put the sword in front of the circle. I know it interfers with the word "Washington" and that's probably why you executed it that way. The sword arm is in front of him and the arm with the ball is at his side(?) but it's in front of the circle. It kind of ruins the illusion of perspective for me. Perhaps you can adjust the spacing on the word to allow the sword to be in front. I know it's nitpicky but I think it would finish off a professional logo just right.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I know exactly what your saying Undead and you are right in saying that the only reason I did it with the sword behind the word 'Washington'. It does throw off the perspective, and this was one of the areas I struggled with when finishing off the final touches of the logo. I will see what I can do with the sword in front of the outer circle and post the changes soon. Maybe just shortening the name to DC, but I like having it say Washington at the same time.

As far as your first comment, Undead, I do have a couple other logos I am working on and will post them when theyre ready, but I really go in spirts of doing alot of designing and then none at all for awhile so I never know. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Archived