Wimbledon!

gingerbreadmann

Where are all the tennis fans at? I don't remember ever having a tennis thread here. Well, it's already Week 2 in Wimbledon. No Rafa. The roof just finally closed yesterday, and it wasn't even worth the time. The Williams sisters are cruising, Oudin beat that bitch Jankovic, Andy Roddick is still alive, so is Andy Murray, so is Federer, and, Lleyton Hewitt is partying like it's 2002. (D_P knows what I'm talking about)

Any other fans here? It gets really good from here, can't wait for this final stretch.

Where are all the tennis fans at? I don't remember ever having a tennis thread here. Well, it's already Week 2 in Wimbledon. No Rafa. The roof just finally closed yesterday, and it wasn't even worth the time. The Williams sisters are cruising, Oudin beat that bitch Jankovic, Andy Roddick is still alive, so is Andy Murray, so is Federer, and, Lleyton Hewitt is partying like it's 2002. (D_P knows what I'm talking about)

Any other fans here? It gets really good from here, can't wait for this final stretch.

Lleyton was very impressive in the second half of his match yesterday, starting absolutely romping!

I've got ESPN360 streaming in the background here at work, Safina-Lisicki match right now. 3rd set, Safina up 5-1, gonna take a 2 sets to 1 win.

What are you talking about the roof not being worth it? Managed to finish the Murray vs Wawrinka game in one day, at well past 10 O'clock in the evening.

The Roddick/Hewitt quarter is proving to be a good game.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I mean it wasn't even raining so they didn't even need to close it in the first place. I really like the roof, I'm just saying it's funny how it wasn't even raining.

Great match between Roddick and Hewitt. I love both of those guys. Go Roddick from here on out, can't wait for Andy vs. Andy. And possibly a Williams-Williams final.

Wow, Serena got all she could handle from Dementieva. Hopefully, big sis will have an easier time of it!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Venus cruises, 6-1, 6-0. It took all of 51 minutes. Much easier, indeed.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I mean it wasn't even raining so they didn't even need to close it in the first place. I really like the roof, I'm just saying it's funny how it wasn't even raining.

Great match between Roddick and Hewitt. I love both of those guys. Go Roddick from here on out, can't wait for Andy vs. Andy. And possibly a Williams-Williams final.

It was raining when the roof was first closed, in the preceeding match. The committee I believe decided that the risk of showers was high, and the chances of pulling the players off for bad light also high if the roof was left open, so they left it shut, and my understanding is that once they shut the roof, they don't open it again for that match. That being said, it did look a bit odd when play was going on on other courts and the roof was shut.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Serena Williams defeats Venus Williams, 7-6, 6-2, to win the Ladies' Singles Championship.

Done deal. Venus and Serena defeated Rennae Stubbs and Samantha Stosur of Australia, 7-6, 6-4, for the Doubles crown.

Good day for the girls. Good day for America. :)

Serena Williams defeats Venus Williams, 7-6, 6-2, to win the Ladies' Singles Championship.

Is it me or are Williams Sister Finals always boring and one sided with each sister taking turns winning. They are better then just about everyone and deserve to be in the final, but it seems they never have a good final. I would love just once to see them go at it 3 sets with a long marathon tiebreaker.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Is it me or are Williams Sister Finals always boring and one sided with each sister taking turns winning. They are better then just about everyone and deserve to be in the final, but it seems they never have a good final. I would love just once to see them go at it 3 sets with a long marathon tiebreaker.

Honestly, the match was closer than that second set score would normally indicate. The match was neither boring, nor one-sided. I honestly thought they were headed to a third set as neither was able to break the others' serve (Serena lost a total of 8 points on her serve all match). Venus just seemed to lose her serve at 2-3, her first serve percentage had to have been less than 25%, she only double faulted once or twice, but her second serves just layed up there for Serena to run her all around the court. It wasn't an epic match, hell, it wasn't even as good as last year's final, but it was neither boring, nor one-sided...and the last game of the match was pretty damn cool to watch.

I consider myself a huge Tennis fan, one of my favourite sports to play and I love watching it as well.

I am so excited for tomorrow, my two favourite players going head-to-head!

I will be hopin' for Roddick but i'm pretty sure Federer has it. He has always had Roddick's number and I can't see that changing tomorrow. I would be shocked if Andy beat him.

My prediction - Federer in 4 Sets

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I know everyone loves the Williams sisters, their repertoire and their successes are to be admired, and I think they'll both go down as two of the greatest women's tennis players ever.

That said...

The idea of the two of them playing each other in the final of a major tournament bores me. The first time, it was intriguing. But this was #4. Enough. Venus vs. Serena in the Wimbledon final is much like the Mets against the Yankees in the World Series. It's like playing yourself in a video game, where you have both controllers in your hands and are playing offense for both teams. It's just a waste of two hours. Sure, you'll see some great tennis, but one of them is going to win. Great. Terrific.

The organizers of these tournaments need to start putting them in the same half of the draw. Let them play in the semi-finals. Hell, let them meet in the first round to decide who represents the family in the tournament. That'll be an even better draw.

And I know y'all are going to get on my case because it shows my ignorance towards tennis. I like tennis. Really. I like watching two great players go at each other, and the men's final should be a good one. But I'm tired of this crap with the Williams sisters and everyone making a big deal of them playing each other.

philly.png

Wow...that really does show ignorance on your part. But at least you acknowledge it.

Wow...that really does show ignorance on your part. But at least you acknowledge it.

I don't hide my bull:censored:, Greg. I keep it out in the open where y'all can get a good whiff of it. ^_^

philly.png

Archived