AI to PNG Color problem

rtrich11

I've been wanting to know this same thing for the longest...happens to me all the time.

My gut guess is something in the filetype being (or not being, I suppose) able to handle the specific color values used in the native file, and as such, it "adjusts" as necessary.

But I'm nowhere near an expert--or even knowledgeable--in matters such as this, so if anyone out there is, I'd love to see an answer on this one, as well.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's something bizarre. I did my initial save to png's at work on CS3 and got that bad color. I go home where all I have is old CS, and I do a Save for Web... and it looks good. Can't explain that. I wonder why it would vary so much.

...And odder still is that I went from CMYK to PNG and it looked better.

Hmm...see, I don't even use CMYK for screen work. But I guess Imma have to try that sometime.

FWIW...lately I've been doing the "save for web" thing, and I haven't noticed that big a difference in color from native to output file. But really, I'm thinking, at least in my case, it's got something more to do with me working across platforms. (I've got my Mac desktop networked right into my PC laptop and vice-versa, simply because the Mac ain't got a wireless card in it and I ain't tryna put one in there when I can use this PC as both a server and my internet conduit, so to speak. Both have CS2 loaded onto them.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I just saved a file to png in Illustrator CS4 and there was a color shift to a slightly brighter color, but it's nothing too drastic or even most people were most people would notice. I haven't tried the cmyk and really doubt I will ever do that. I'm doing web, so I don't find the color shift to be that big of a deal.

i always save PNGs and JPGs in photoshop at 300 dpi. it comes out pretty well for me. unless you have to have something low resolution never use GIFs. you will lose color and pixel information. you can also try saving as a TIFF file, which is usually used for print (cmyk) but may do the trick.

the last bit of advice i could offer (though i dont think it would change anything for web/monitor viewing) is to use the Pantone colors

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived