Red Goat Creations (www.conradburry.com)

Conrad.

If you don't remember, I worked on a personal identity on here a couple months ago, and have been since working on a portfolio website to display my work...I've finished and launched it, so please visit it here:

Red Goat Creations

Please let me know if there are any problems with graphics, grammar, or execution. I would really like to here any thoughts you might have on what I've made. thanks...

Looked through it, and I must say it looks great. Nice and organized. The only thing that bugs me is the colours, not exactly sure why. But other than that I like it.

(also liked looking through your sports branding work ;) )

You don't like the colors, because you have all the colors competing against each other. Red is a very dominating color, and with the white and the tan. If you went with maybe a maroon background and maybe even a dark maroon, to stay in the red territory, that might work, or even go black or grey. If he toned down the red, it'd be a much more effective sight. I know it's Red Goat Creations, but red is such a strong and dominating color that using a lot of it overwhelms the viewer. It's a good site, just maybe try the suggestions, or not.

get rid of all the god trips... that is not good for a design portfolio at all..

thanks for taking a look...what are god trips? sry i don't follow. please explain.

the jesus retreats...

If it's design work and it's designed well, which it is, it belongs there. Someone looking for design work is going to look at the design and if it's good and says what it is suppose to. If you have something against religious retreats, that's your problem not his. Don't slam someone for their beliefs or heck he maybe an atheist for all you know and just got paid to do the work because he's a good designer. You never know who's going to be looking for design work and pay real well, and if it's some church that has a lot of money and is willing to pay well for a convention or something, having that work up there is a good thing. There are people looking for that type of work. If it's good work, you show it, it's that simple.

I think you should add your resume in lieu of the cutesy "where..." thing.

what do u mean add my resume? u can d/l it on the contact page...

or do u mean change the approach of the resume?

I wouldn't look for a resume on a contact me page -- certainly not anywhere where the only icon is a phone.

And I certainly wouldn't (and didn't) download any 10MB resume. No way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

pdf would be best.

Right, but one that shows some restraint. Everyone in the world uses a one-page, quick-loading PDF for a resume. There's a reason for that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

good call gentleman.

Updated Site

i've updated the homepage with quick links both a text-only and image-rich version (reduced to 5 mb now ;)) of my resume. and I also updated the contact page with the same. I also went ahead and changed the background color of the site (in addition to the litebox background color) to a charcoal color.

more C&C please...this is great.

I like the colors used. The only thing that sticks out is your portrait. I'm guessing you're just trying to emphasize the goatee, but it comes off as arrogantly looking down on people.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

One page resume! I know its silly but alot of people you are going to be sending resume's too are old school and want everything on one page. I could be wrong but that's what I was always told, if it takes more than 1 page you have too much stuff on there.

And this might be a personal thing, and I'm as guilty of it as others, but lets not kid ourselves and pretend our own brand is some large graphic design studio. Just straight up say "Freelance Designer" instead of "Designer for _______" I don't think it would hurt you either way, but I don't think we're fooling anyone when we put things like that on our resume and it just makes it seem like you're trying to portray yourself as something you aren't.... Its something that every young designer does for the most part, myself included. If I still do that on my website, well I haven't updated it in 3 years but once I finish it won't say that stuff anymore...

thanks pat...so what do you think I should include in the 1 page of a resume? I guess I can leave out my 'cover letter' and just have my education and Design experience? that just seems like im not explaining myself at all....

Typically you'd have Objective, Education, Related work experience, and skills/programs. I don't think the programs are necessary unless you have special ones or unique ones like Mya, 3D or scripting languages because if you went to school for graphic design, you know Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. But it doesn't hurt. You can always put two columns in there too. I was always taught that your resume should be a piece of design, but you also need to remember who is going to be looking at it...usually HR reps that just want to see the information.

I guess it depends if this is your resume you send out or if its just a document on your webpage. If its your resume you send out, you can treat your contact information like letterhead, shrink your fonts (looks like they are 12 or 14 point...you can defiantly get away with 10 or 11) and it should take up a page.

If its a document on your webpage, go nuts. I just like killing two birds with one stone!

Archived