Question about the bullpen

logodawg

Does anybody know who are the guys that catch in the bullpen? Are they back ups players, coaches, the bullpen version of the ball boy, or something else all together? Everybody I've asked didn't have a clue either.

It's just something that I've always wondered.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Sometimes the backup catcher is in the bullpen. I've seen Jason Varitek come into the game from the bullpen.

That might have more to do with the location of the bullpen, however. It's easier to get there from the bench if it's in foul territory rather than beyond the outfield wall.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'd guess most teams have multiple bullpen "coaches" (or bullpen catchers), since they often have two pitchers warming up simultaneously.

I wonder who answers the bullpen phone when it rings, if the coaches are catching? Does whoever happens to be sitting there answer it? Also, who's responsibility is it to watch for the manager's signal when he's making the call to the 'pen?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd guess most teams have multiple bullpen "coaches" (or bullpen catchers), since they often have two pitchers warming up simultaneously.

I wonder who answers the bullpen phone when it rings, if the coaches are catching? Does whoever happens to be sitting there answer it? Also, who's responsibility is it to watch for the manager's signal when he's making the call to the 'pen?

Because I've taken pictures of most everything that happens at a ballpark...

Jays pitcher Brian Tallet answering the bullpen phone, presumably because all the coaches were unavailable

2563461190_674087fdb5.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Here is a sad story about a bullpen catcher that used to be a star athlete at my high school (hockey and baseball). He played baseball at Minnesota (and maybe hockey)

Link

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived