General Motors Concept

speedy

Yeah, you read the title right, no sports concept from me on this go around.

With the re-emergance (if you want to call it that) of GM, and talk of a "greener" logo, I felt it an opportune time to update their look. I wanted to go with a stronger, if you will, typeface. Something more visible that show's a change to a better, stronger, more efficient brand. While doing this, I wanted to stay true to the GM logo. I think this is a good mix.

GMMainLogos.png

Here are a few alternates I came up with while doing this. I think it was BBTV (could be mistaken) that gave me the idea for the single G.

GMAlternates.png

Nice. The typeface is a big improvement, it's simple, but the shape of the G gives it much more personality. I'm not crazy about the singular G because I feel like people are too used to the GM to really recognize this. The one thing that's always sorta bothered me about GM is their lack of one really iconic symbol or letter (in one color) in a more of a crest symbol, like Lexus or Mercedes or Toyota. It's always been kinda boring but you've given it some life.

I love the updated text, it's timeless, yet modern. I think the green is a bit too literal of an approach to a "greener image". The standalone G logo keeps making me think Gatorade, but I love the GM logo, and the General Motors underscore.

Perhaps for a greener, more organic feel you could try a circle, or oval, something that doesn't have sharp lines. Smooth and flowing like nature, and the lines of an automobile.

I really like your take on the logo. I think going to a green instead of blue would be a good step as it would set them apart from Ford who also uses blue. I also really like the fact you tried to stay true to the old logo but just mordenize it. I really like your font. What font is that by the way?

I like DP's idea about not having sharp lines but why not just round the corners of the square instead of using a totally new shape.

I also like the idea Elliot had about coming up with an iconic symbol. Why not try using the G and the M and combine them into one. Maybe have the M inside the G or merging the two some other way. I was playing around with AI and came up with some of my own ideas but I won't hijack your thread. I think it could work.

Overall, this concept is great. I hope what ever they come up with is as good as yours. Nice work!

speedy,

I love this new concept, it makes it bolder while giving the logo a more futuristic look. It reminds me of a logo GM would slap on a new ride in Tomorrowland Disneyland or something. Not a bad thing of course.

I feel like people are too used to the GM to really recognize this.

You totally took the words out of my mouth. You're right, the logo is easily overlooked in today's society.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Archived