what are our opinions on ESPN's Paul Lukas?

Brave-Bird 08

Personally, I love his blog. I love the information. Granted, I don't agree with all of his opinions (...nobody always agrees with anybody...) but its his blog and he can say what he wants, and in any event you always get enough facts to form your own opinion.

I was thinking about this a bit more while doing stuff around the house, and I think that Lukas would be a better writer if he learned to either drop his biases all together or greatly curtail them. At this point his hatred for purple, Nike, anything that is deemed "new" or "unconventional" really take away from his prose. I understand that all writers have some sort of biases, but to use a simile, Lukas is like a restaurant reviewer who hates Italian food, yet every third restaurant review is for a new Italian food place. I know that he's going to hate it, so why even bother reading it.

Sports uniform and logos are a very small niche in the sports world, and by-and-large most people's tastes fall along what they encountered when they were in their sports infancy, Lukas really needs to break this mold if he wants to appeal to a demographic that is different than the one that he appeals to now. I'm not sure if he cares about that (though I strongly suspect that he does), but aside from a readership increase, it will also expand his writing abilities.

I was thinking about this a bit more while doing stuff around the house, and I think that Lukas would be a better writer if he learned to either drop his biases all together or greatly curtail them. At this point his hatred for purple, Nike, anything that is deemed "new" or "unconventional" really take away from his prose. I understand that all writers have some sort of biases, but to use a simile, Lukas is like a restaurant reviewer who hates Italian food, yet every third restaurant review is for a new Italian food place. I know that he's going to hate it, so why even bother reading it.

Sports uniform and logos are a very small niche in the sports world, and by-and-large most people's tastes fall along what they encountered when they were in their sports infancy, Lukas really needs to break this mold if he wants to appeal to a demographic that is different than the one that he appeals to now. I'm not sure if he cares about that (though I strongly suspect that he does), but aside from a readership increase, it will also expand his writing abilities.

This was a well-thought out post. Plus one in my book.

If the degree of a person's sports design appreciation is limited to what teams wore when they were a kid, the breadth of the discussion is quite limited. I don't read Paul's blog anymore. It makes for a boring read if you already know what the guy is going to say. I rely on this community and other sources for breaking news. Now if there was someone writing articles with a more open, flexible opinion based more on design and less on nostalgia or personal biases, then I would give it a chance.

That said, the man is entitled to his opinion. We all have our biases and preferences. The OP is criticizing Paul's inflexibility, not him personally. At the end of the day, if you don't like what the man says, don't read it. He's not the end-all, be-all of sports aesthetics.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I've spent a lot of time in journalism, and I've gotta say that while I'm glad that journalists report critically on the government, I'm also glad that journalists by and large don't make policy and run the government. Likewise with Paul: I think anyone who cares about sports uniforms and logos owes Paul a huge debt of gratitude for his work as a journalist. (And that includes Paul's opinion advocacy; good journalism doesn't require the lack of a consistent opinion.) However, I'm also glad that Paul isn't in charge of designing logos or dressing teams.

20082614447.png

I don't know about owing him a huge debt of gratitude. Paul is a latecomer to this logo enthusiast. I discovered this site shortly after it started and learned far more from Donovan Moore long before Paul made it to national prominence. Paul has an entertainment value, but I wouldn't classify it as earth shattering contributions.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I like Paul, but I can barely stand the comments section on the Uniwatch site anymore. It used to be high quality discussion relating to that day's column... now it's just a small group of idiots making the same tired jokes everyday and ignoring almost all information not coming from the regulars.

On top of that, I really don't like any of the columns that "LI Phil" writes, and that seems to be almost half of them these days...

If the degree of a person's sports design appreciation is limited to what teams wore when they were a kid, the breadth of the discussion is quite limited. I don't read Paul's blog anymore. It makes for a boring read if you already know what the guy is going to say. I rely on this community and other sources for breaking news. Now if there was someone writing articles with a more open, flexible opinion based more on design and less on nostalgia or personal biases, then I would give it a chance.

That said, the man is entitled to his opinion. We all have our biases and preferences. The OP is criticizing Paul's inflexibility, not him personally. At the end of the day, if you don't like what the man says, don't read it. He's not the end-all, be-all of sports aesthetics.

This is pretty much the same for me. I first discovered his blog and that's how I found this site. But I've since stopped reading his blog because his opinions kind of took over. This site still breaks the news right when it comes out and most people are a lot more open in their opinions.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived