what are our opinions on ESPN's Paul Lukas?

Brave-Bird 08

ESPN's Paul Lukas bothers me. He rejects basically anything that is modernized. He thought Duke made a huge improvement from going from a "mindless" uniform to...well, IMO...just as mindless of a uniform.

He thought Southern Miss's switch to the old school excess of stripes, which barely fit on the sleeve, was the biggest improvement of the year. I really liked SMU's old stuff. What in the world made him hate it so much??

He also was under the impression WVU looked like Michigan on the road, and that Kentucky's older side panel unis were similar to Houstons...which are the same template basically to wake, mizzou...guess he didnt pick up on that.

I feel his close mindedness translates to basketball and baseball as well.

So just as a thought, how do the people on these boards feel about his annual evaluations and critiques?

Everyone has his/her opinion and entitled to it. If you do not like it, you don't. He just has a worldwide platform to share his while we don't (wait, we do as well; HERE!)

I just think you want his job, but hate his opinion(s).

He's got his opinions just like we all do. I would never have even heard of this board if not for him, and it's nice to have a column like his in a mainstream source. Plus, by all accounts he seems like a good dude, and he's a friend of John Darnielle, which gives him bonus cool points.

msg-117798227822.jpg

He's got his opinions just like we all do. I would never have even heard of this board if not for him, and it's nice to have a column like his in a mainstream source. Plus, by all accounts he seems like a good dude, and he's a friend of John Darnielle, which gives him bonus cool points.

haha exactly, but you can do a preview without criticizing everything. I just feel the man needs to open his mind and smell the coffee! it is not 1971 anymore.

His fetishization of the stirrup, as worn for a couple of years in the mid to late 1960s--coupled with his campaign to get the Mets to "ditch the black" and his immense love of himself--drives me absolutely crazy. Other than that, the play was fine.

The site has valuable information lurking among all the crap and propaganda, but it can be a tough slog at times.

His fetishization of the stirrup, as worn for a couple of years in the mid to late 1960s--coupled with his campaign to get the Mets to "ditch the black" and his immense love of himself--drives me absolutely crazy. Other than that, the play was fine.

The site has valuable information lurking among all the crap and propaganda, but it can be a tough slog at times.

Yeah, dont get me wrong, I love following his stuff.

But I think if he had the power to dress all of the sports teams out there- as you pointed out, baseball teams would have stirrups.

All of the type font would look the same.

Football teams would have nothing but sleeve stripes and vertical pants stripes...and not to mention nfl style socks.

I personally think the variety in athletic uniforms is what makes it so intruiging to all of us. Wouldnt it be boring if Oregon stopped with all of their nonsense? If Cincinatti went back to a plain black jersey, black pants, and black helmet with nothing but a few old school stripes.

Eh, I'm not trying to bash him... I was just curious to see what the CCSL'ers generally thought

I don't agree with all his points, either, but I give him a break because his blog is so chock-full of info. I had to give up reading it lots of days because there was so much stuff to see...and that's not an insult. He collects and categorizes the stuff even the CCSLC misses.

But I lean a little old school and like to hear his opinions, regardless.

I don't agree with everything he says either. But I do like when he shows the updates and the differences from year to year on some of the teams. I can do without the opinions, but I love the info.

Lukas...yeh, at first his writing annoyed me (likely fueled by the fact that as far as uniform opinion goes, he and I tend to be polar opposites. though I do get his stirrup kick.) I won't lie, depending on the day, his writing can still annoy me, but he's grown on me. I guess the loose groups I call "Mo Williams fans" and "Bucks fans who would personally hand Ramon Sessions a one-way ticket out of Milwaukee" tend to annoy me more nowadays. That, as they say, is for another forum though.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Somethings I agree with him on, and somethings I don't and I think for the most part that's how most people here feel about him. The one thing that makes me shake my head is his hatred of purple. Why? There are a lot more annoying things in sports uniforms and logos to hate on than purple, such as cutesy numbers (D-Backs, Oregon and Anaheim Ducks, Thrashers, Tennessee Titans).

I don't agree with everything he says either. But I do like when he shows the updates and the differences from year to year on some of the teams. I can do without the opinions, but I love the info.

Same with me. But many times, mostly about his love of stirrups and stripes (and striped stirrups!), I love him. But I truly can't stand all the purple-hate. I think it can look great when used the right way. His site is incredible to me. It is my number one favorite blog I subscribe to (I subscribe to about 20) and I enjoy reading (most) of his ESPN columns. Luckily, because I use an RSS Feed reader (NewsFire) to read my subscriptions, I don't get inundated with all the ads and crap.

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

I read his blog everyday, but yea the whole hae on purple makes no sense, the vikings and lakers pull it off sooo good.

Also I think the "I'm calling it shea" shirt is ridiculous, thats like calling citizens bank park "the vet", which makes no sense.

It's one thing to miss your old ballpark (even tho the new one is obviously better than the cookie cutter shea) but it's another to try to call the new one the old name that makes no sense. but i do love readin his blog and do agree with some stuff.

I've met Paul Lukas. I've had a beer with Paul Lukas. Paul Lukas is a friend of mine.

You, Brave-Bird, are no Paul Lukas.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The guy does a really good job with his blog, and I like to read his blog and this forum here to get the latest news on uniform happenings. I disagree with him on some things (his dislike of purple, for one; his occasional political throwaway lines, which I could do without on a non-political site, etc.) and agree with him on others (Mets should drop black, players should wear stirrups -- though I don't have the sock fetish he does -- etc.).

His site has gotten more commercial, but good for him that he's making money. Some days, it's a quick read because I don't care about the lead topic and skip it to go to the ticker; other days, it's a valued and treasured 20 minutes of fun.

Overall, I appreciate his work, and I like his site.

I used to be able to read the blog post and all the comments every day on the UniWatch site. It's a little tougher to do now, as the regulars and inside humor that happen in an online community seem to have escaped me over time.

The daily blog post is post-work reading for me, though. Outside of here and Lukas, there really aren't any all-encompassing uniform discussion corners of the internet.

Lastly, can you blame anybody here for wanting Paul's job?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Also I think the "I'm calling it shea" shirt is ridiculous, thats like calling citizens bank park "the vet", which makes no sense.

but you have to buy the shirt to make lukas some cash. funny how these shirts have gotten so much coverage on his site as "news". that and the whole "membership" thing really soured me on what was once a must-read site.

I enjoy his blog, it's one of the first ones that I read every day; however I think that he is a bit too quick to criticize. Every new uniform released by MLB this winter sucked (according to him). There was nothing that he liked. It seems to me that he is critical for the sake of being critical. Because of that, it is difficult for me to take his criticisms seriously.

Having said all of that, I do admire that he can fill an entire Blog every day with information. That takes some skill and tenacity. However, I am getting a bit bored of seeing someone's high school notebook scribbles. I buzz through that every time. I do enjoy the DIY stuff.

Yeah, dont get me wrong, I love following his stuff.

But I think if he had the power to dress all of the sports teams out there- as you pointed out, baseball teams would have stirrups.

All of the type font would look the same.

Football teams would have nothing but sleeve stripes and vertical pants stripes...and not to mention nfl style socks.

I personally think the variety in athletic uniforms is what makes it so intruiging to all of us. Wouldnt it be boring if Oregon stopped with all of their nonsense? If Cincinatti went back to a plain black jersey, black pants, and black helmet with nothing but a few old school stripes.

Eh, I'm not trying to bash him... I was just curious to see what the CCSL'ers generally thought

You know, sometimes his writing style and hatred of purple annoy me, but when you bring up what he'd like to see with today's uniforms... I say he's brilliant.

By the way... What cincinnati team had a black helmet? U of?

Archived