MLB Sunday Alternate Series

knnhrvy16

Hello all,

As you can tell i'm quite new here. I like what you guys do here and decided to try my hand at a series. Ive done many concepts for a long time on my own, and being a senior in high school, design is something i've given lots of thought about for a future. So i guess you could say im not necessarily the most experienced at this, but i'm not new to it either.

Anyways, i wanted to start off with Major League sunday alternates. Ever since the Brewers, Phillies, and Royals came out with their sunday duds (I realize they were all at different times, I was just speaking in general lol), i've been fascinated with the idea of an alternate uniform that seems to differentiate from a team's current set, but stays in line somewhat with thier identity (throw Cleveland's retro sunday's in there as well). So i wanted to give it a shot and give more major league teams sunday alternates.

My goal is to create uniforms that relate to a team enough to know whose team the unifrom belongs, but at the same time create something different and unique from thier set. Whether it be a modernized nod to a throwback, or something new and out of the box. I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I will (and have), as so far in my research (yes, ive done lots of research on throwbacks, colors, what could work for teams, etc.) and current work, i have had an absolute blast!

Leading off, the defending American League Champion Tampa Bay Rays.

What i tried to capture with Tampa Bay was sort of a bridge between the inagural years and today. I spent a very long time on this uniform especially and have debated over many things about it, and have come to this final result. The script and cap logo are colored with gradient, of course a nod to 1998, but a different gradient more closer to the colors we know the Rays in today. I didnt want to go TOO overboard with it, but I wanted it to be unique enough that it would stand out when compared to other teams in the league. I know recently that the Rays wore thier throwbacks against Oakland not too long ago, and that is where i got this idea, believing something so cool and unique could be pulled off on an every now and then basis, much like a sunday alt. does.

Anyways, you guys get the idea. LEt me know what you guys think, and all C&C is welcome and appreciated.

thanks!

MLBSundayalternatesTB.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and sorry, I forgot to add, i'm not sure which team i'll do next, but i've been toying as of late with ideas for some teams, including St. Louis and Boston to name a few. Stay tuned, and can't wait to hear the feedback on Tampa Bay!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

First off, :welcome: ! Glad to have you aboard!

As for your first concept, nice job. A good start. You did a good job of taking an idea and executing it. It looks good. The problem I have is that I just can't see the Rays wearing these. For one, I think they are trying to move away from the old Devil Rays era and onto just the Rays. Going back to an earlier uniform idea as a full-time alternate might not be the best option. I would go for something a little more modern. Good start on your first concept here, and good luck with the rest of this series. And again, welcome!

BTW, I'm looking forward to a Twins concept ;)

Alright guys, big thanks to you all for your input! :D and thanks for the welcome, bmac!

I knew gradient would definetely be a wild shot for the Rays again, but I decided to go ahead and take it so I fully understand if it wouldnt work. I just wanted to be gunslinger and go for it, I guess you could say haha :)

Anyways, I'm thinking up some new routes for Tampa Bay, perhaps a sleeveless powder blue vest? (sleeveless to differentiate from Kansas City)

Before I start on another Tampa Bay route, does anyone else have any input?

Also, i'm going to post a St. Louis concept here soon. It's all finished, I just dont want to rush too much without fully finishing what I started.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Alright, I have for you all some updates.

The first is the new route I took for Tampa Bay, a powder blue sleeveless.

I went with "TB" on the chest because I figured having "Rays" on each uniform would be somewhat monotonous and having "Tampa Bay" on the chest would make this look like a road uniform. So, I figured "TB" was the best bet to make this truly an alternate. Also, I introduce to you a new cap - also powder blue :D and featuring the sunburst on the "TB".

The second is a quick update suggested by Brave-Bird 08 to the original concept. It was suggested to try either changing the numbers to the same style as the wordmark or to make the numbers a darker color. Upon working on it, I found that the darker color looked best with it and changed the numbers from powder blue to navy. Nothing too big, but I think it certainly improved it.

I'm expecting the powder blue sleeveless to still be the one of choice, but I decided to show the updated original just for kicks, to see what you guys thought.

Anyways, here are the updates:

MLBSundayAlternatesTB2.png

MLBSundayalternatesTB-1.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I like it.

Even though it's using gradients, which is usually something to avoid, I think it comes out clean and attractive. And a lot brighter than their current unis.

But some of the gradient color looks a little too light, maybe if it were darkened a bit.

I like that powder blue vest. It looks awesome. The cap is pretty neat too. The only thing I would consider is adding the alternate Ray logo somewhere, but it looks good without. The only thing that would fit (other than the cap or chest) would be as a shoulder patch, but it is sleeveless, so it's fine. Nice job. Looking forward to the next one.

Glad to hear the input, thanks again guys!

I'll experiment with a darker gradient and perhaps post an update for the originals here soon, anymore input on the Tampa Bay powder blues?

In the meantime, i've been too excited to post St. Louis that I couldnt wait any longer :D

So, i present to you the St. Louis Cardinals sunday alternate.

Hopefully the inspiration is familiar, as it is a tribute to the glory days of Musial and Slaughter. I've had an idea like this in my head for a very long time and at first considered making an entire uniform set based on this in a seperate concept, but in starting this series I figured it'd do better as an alternate. Kept the uniform style used back in the 1940's, complete with the stripe from the collar down to the sleeve, a look that was quite unique to the Cardinals. (The only other team I remember having anything like that were the crosstown Browns for a couple of years, correct me if im wrong) Cream colored, and merged with marks from today, I found it to be a long running bridge between eras in St. Louis' storied history.

Tell me what you think!

MLBSundayAlternatesSTL.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Welcome to the board. This is an ambitious and clever attempt at unifying two eras and does a nice job at it, but I agree with what was said earlier. I am just not sure the colors work for a gradient. They appear to wash out in the middle and it loses it's zip. Good start on the board though.

Also, just a note about the Phillies unis. The alts are not Sunday jerseys, they actually are for all day home games. To be fair most day home games take place on the weekend, but they wear them during business person's specials during the week also.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Okay great, thanks for your C&C Korkie! I'll try out some stuff and after a while I can see what I can come up with, and thanks for the fact on the Phillies uniforms as well. I dont watch the Phillies often but everytime i see them on a sunday (like on Sports Center) they seem to be wearing the throwbacks so I assumed they were Sunday alts, my bad haha.

Any input on the St. Louis alts from anyone?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Thanks for the input on St. Louis :) Anybody else have anything for it? Anything to change, consider, etc?

Just letting you guys know, i'm working with some ideas for Florida (TEAL! :D), Boston, and Atlanta as of now. I may be able to get one or more concepts posted by the end of the night. Crossin my fingers :)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived