Broncos to wear mustard yellow

J.R.

Oh, I'm not comparing that Padres jersey to the Rays jerseys, just saying that many of the comments would have been the same.

Color scheme aside though, most of you would slam a jersey like that if it was a brand new design without any historical significance. Just try to think of that on a modern double-knit template, with "perfect" trim and letter cuts. Once it loses it's "old charm", there's not much left.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm not comparing that Padres jersey to the Rays jerseys, just saying that many of the comments would have been the same.

Color scheme aside though, most of you would slam a jersey like that if it was a brand new design without any historical significance. Just try to think of that on a modern double-knit template, with "perfect" trim and letter cuts. Once it loses it's "old charm", there's not much left.

Thanks for the clarification on your first point. I actually did believe you were comparing the too. As the kids say "My Bad".

Regarding your second point, I think you are projecting there and I don't think its quite accurate IMO. I have to be honest with you, I've never seen that Padres jersey prior to it being posted in this thread. My previous posts about the beauty of their brown and yellow color scheme was based off of other jerseys I had seen. My personal reaction to that jersey in the thread was a genuine one. I could care less about the history, it just looks good to me. Maybe I'm just really jaded by all of the awful modern designs in baseball (Nationals, Rays and Jays to name a few) that seeing a simple design done in such an appropriate way seemed highly refreshing to me.

I understand what you are getting at regarding the whole concept of "glorifying the past" when it comes to uniforms designs. I feel the same way about the old Pat Patriot Helmet and uniforms of New England. I just don't see the old trumping the new in that scenario. But in this case I just think baseball AND basketball should take a look back at designs for decades past and revisit some of them because many of them were just plain good IMO.

Archived