MLB Tiebreaker Logo

BallWonk

I like how the MLB has a tie break game.

But its an odd thing, exactly is it a regular season match? Its a playoff, to get into the playoffs, it sort of exists in Baseball limbo. Not part of the 162 game regular season schedule, but used as a tie breaker in the standings? I can understand the confusion!

I'm personally not quite sure about having the MLB logo in gold and red? Looks strange to me!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I like how the MLB has a tie break game.

But its an odd thing, exactly is it a regular season match? Its a playoff, to get into the playoffs, it sort of exists in Baseball limbo. Not part of the 162 game regular season schedule, but used as a tie breaker in the standings? I can understand the confusion!

MLB folks are getting better -- as you'd hope they would, what with all the tiebreaker practice they've been getting lately! -- about discussing the tiebreaker game in terms of being a single game added on to the regular season to break the tie, rather than a "one-game playoff," as it was always referred to back in the 1970s and 1980s. It's not a one-game playoff in the sense of being a part of the playoffs, and it's not an in-between limbo game. It's just another regular-season game, tacked on to the schedule, and every player's performance in Game 163 counts toward his season total. So Joe Mauer, for example, has yet to become the 2009 AL batting champ, since it's at least theoretically possible for him to go 0-for-31 in today's game and thus drop his batting average below Ichiro (or whoever is in second place; I just sort of assume that's Ichiro).

Anyway, my point isn't to like correct you or anything, just to note that I've seen broadcasters and baseball people being pretty consistent lately in discussing the tiebreaker game as an extension of the regular season, whereas prior to a few years ago tiebreakers were usually described in terms that would lead anyone to believe the game is essentially the first round of the postseason.

Cool to see last year's logo. Makes me wonder: When did MLB make a Tiebreaker logo part of the requirement for the playoffs logo set? If I had to guess, I'd assume following the 2007 season, but it would be interesting to know whether this came about in reaction to the drama of 2007, or whether MLB was proactive enough to realize the need prior to that.

20082614447.png

Ha ha I bet it wouldn't count if someone broke the season home run record or something like that in a 163rd game. The old asterisk would be coming out of retirement for that one!!

It is odd how the MLB is consistent on its inconsistency!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Ha ha I bet it wouldn't count if someone broke the season home run record or something like that in a 163rd game. The old asterisk would be coming out of retirement for that one!!

Not really, since MLB has never, ever used an asterisk for any record. The asterisk is a myth, an urban legend, no more true than the rumor that Bigfoot is an alien who steals kidneys in hotel rooms. Season records are season records, whether you played 154 games, or 162, or 163.

20082614447.png

Not really, since MLB has never, ever used an asterisk for any record. The asterisk is a myth, an urban legend, no more true than the rumor that Bigfoot is an alien who steals kidneys in hotel rooms. Season records are season records, whether you played 154 games, or 162, or 163.

I wasn't being entirely serious ;)

There isn't that much chance of it happening but if someone did stand a chance of beating the single season home run record in a game 163, you can bet there would be record viewing figures for that game!

On a serious point, its not so much the physical asterisk that is the problem, its the metaphorical sense that some versions of a record are more worthy that others. When Frick neutered Roger Maris's effort by suggesting an 'explanation' it was an awful way to take away from Maris's achievement.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

We were, it seems, joking past one another. :rolleyes: And agreed about Frick. Little known fact that anger in New York over Frick's patronizing minimization of Maris led to the use of "Frick" as a synonym for the f-word. Thus "Fricking asterisk," for example. And since the producers of Battlestar Galactica adapted the now-common "Frick" into "Frak," in a way Commissioner Frick is the original Cylon.

20082614447.png

There isn't that much chance of it happening but if someone did stand a chance of beating the single season home run record in a game 163, you can bet there would be record viewing figures for that game!

On a serious point, its not so much the physical asterisk that is the problem, its the metaphorical sense that some versions of a record are more worthy that others. When Frick neutered Roger Maris's effort by suggesting an 'explanation' it was an awful way to take away from Maris's achievement.

There wasn't an asterisk, but there were seperate record for 154 and 162 game seasons. Then they switched it to be 1 record for single-season stats as it is today. But for a long time there were seperate records.

I would have to agree though, that if after 162 games, say Joe Mauer was a point behind Ichiro for the AL batting title, then Mauer plays a tiebreaker game and goes 4-for-4 and finishes 1 point ahead. That could cause some serious debate over where stats from this game should count.

And THEN you go one step further with players having clauses in there contracts for 200 innings pitched and 500 at bats and whether they get credit for this game.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

There wasn't an asterisk, but there were seperate record for 154 and 162 game seasons. Then they switched it to be 1 record for single-season stats as it is today. But for a long time there were seperate records.

My MLB record book from 1981 confirms this to be true

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I only see 6 colors: blue (dark/light), gold (dark/light), red (dark/light).

White. Not always a color for print, but often, and in either silk-screening or embroidery, you're usually going to have to add a layer of white ink or thread, and that makes 7.

Ah. I wasn't sure if white was included or not. When I have sent some logos to be silkscreened or embroidered, the shops told me that it wasn't necessary to label the shirt/jersey color as a spot color.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

If it means anything, Matt Holliday won an RBI title off of Ryan Howard in a 163rd game two years ago, and kept the batting title over Chipper Jones (0-for-4 would have lost it).

LvZYtbZ.png

And in 1998 when San Francisco and Chicago played a 163rd game for the Wild Card spot there was much focus on Sammy Sosa who could have tied McGwire's single-season HR record had he hit four round-trippers in the game.

Archived