MLB Tiebreaker Logo

BallWonk

From MLB.com:

mlb_tiebreaker.jpg

Kinda wish MLB had emphasized the fact that this is an extension of the regular season, maybe using the number 163. Still, interesting to see that someone planned for this (usually rare) contingency when assembling the 2009 playoff logo package.

20082614447.png

The key word is "usually", since this is the third year in a row with a tiebreaker.

As for the logo, it strikes me as a little on the dull side.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

agreed. it'll look on the broadcast tomorrow to commemorate it as a stand alone event. although i would have LOVED to see a 163 worked into this as well. i know it's a rush job, but i think it could serve as an educational tool. i was very aggravated when i was watching the twins/royals game saturday on fox and whoever was doing the game (thom brennaman maybe?) kept saying there was only "one regular season game" left in the history of the metrodome meaning sunday, basically saying a tuesday tiebreaker is a postseason game. if the guy doing play-by-play on a national telecast doesn't know the tuesday game would be a regular season game, how can you fault fans? it's prettt disgraceful.

sorry...rant over. reader's digest version: nice job by mlb.

sig2024.png

From MLB.com:

mlb_tiebreaker.jpg

Kinda wish MLB had emphasized the fact that this is an extension of the regular season, maybe using the number 163. Still, interesting to see that someone planned for this (usually rare) contingency when assembling the 2009 playoff logo package.

That's a really good idea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like it, noticed the MLB released every team logo as well with the "home place" design behind it. I'm looking forward to the Playoff Logos, although the Font they'll end up using like shown above in the WS design is so disappointing compared to the design they've used for the Division Championship / Wild Card gear...

Also, I agree, using "163" here would have been genious...

too...many....colors....print designer in me....struggling.....can't....keep...sanity...

It's only 7 spot colors. Wimp! :P

Seriously, though, I expect this logo is intended for screen use only, mainly for video animation during the broadcast; if it's ever printed, it will be by third parties (making it not MLB's problem) in the newsmedia (making it 4-color sep, not 7-color spot).

Besides, anything (such as 7 colors) that discourages the production of "Tiebreaker"-themed merchandise, particularly shirts and caps, is a Very Good Thing. It's sad enough that people buy t-shirts when their team wins the Wild Card; it would strain the limits of human pity to see someone wearing a t-shirt proclaiming his team the "2009 Tiebreaker Champion" or somesuch.

20082614447.png

I only see 6 colors: blue (dark/light), gold (dark/light), red (dark/light). While I wouldn't necessarily use that many colors, it doesn't bother me in this case, and the areas of differentiation seem strong enough to hold up at small sizes, or even on a patch.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I only see 6 colors: blue (dark/light), gold (dark/light), red (dark/light).

White. Not always a color for print, but often, and in either silk-screening or embroidery, you're usually going to have to add a layer of white ink or thread, and that makes 7.

20082614447.png

I'm in the camp that thinks game 163 would have been great.

Add me to that list.

Even using a '162+1' could have worked, emphasizing the '1'. IDK, I just haven't been too enthused by some of these MLB post season logos as of late. I'm just not a fan of messing with the colors of an official logo (i.e. the MLB logo) I get the whole fall colors and all, but I'm just not feeling it.

In MLB's defense, there is no guarantee that the tiebreaker is Game #163. If you had 3 teams finish all-square, one of them is playing 164. It hasn't happened yet, but it's come close a few times (most recently in 2007 with NL West). I guess they wanted one all-purpose logo to cover all scenarios.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I only see 6 colors: blue (dark/light), gold (dark/light), red (dark/light).

White. Not always a color for print, but often, and in either silk-screening or embroidery, you're usually going to have to add a layer of white ink or thread, and that makes 7.

It's *this many* colors:

(Holds up fingers.)

WorldSeries_PLC_2009_SOL_SRGB.png

Archived