2010 NFL Mock Draft

tj4eck

rams, you may have a point, but the Rams especially, passed over one or two serviceable QBs this year, I am not sure a struggling franchise without a QB can afford to do that too often. I guess a lot might depend on which QBs are around in free agency as well.

My point is not entirely that the teams I listed definitely will pick a QB, but that I just don't see guys like McCoy and Bradford falling all that way done the draft. It would be stoopid for guys like Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman to be round 1 picks, and a guy like Bradford to fall out of the first round.

The Rams are not in a position yet where they can "plug and play" with a rookie quarterback, and given the amount of money involved in signing a first round QB, combined with Bulger's local Antichrist status, will lead to intense local demand for unfortunate yet wealthy rookie QB X to be plugged in at week one.

Again, I think the Rams are shooting for, and are closer to building, a dominant, devastating defense, married to a ball control/game management offense as the "vision of the future". While many in the St. Louis peanut gallery have yet to break free of the GSOT paradigm, I, for one, think this is an achievable and perhaps perfect goal for the resurrection of the franchise.

In such a scenario, you can get the ball control/game manager QB in round 2. They don't need a spread star or a gunslinger. They just need someone who can feed the ball to Steven Jackson and make high percentage completions when necessary.

I don't know, maybe Bradford and McCoy's ratings have gone down this year, (I don't really pay attention to college football that much! But I know Bradford has been injured!) but I certainly think they will be off the board by pick 29, and I would still rate the lambs Rams as one of the teams most likely to pick one or other up, before the 29th pick comes around. They may well not, but I can't see in the modern mind set of the NFL, that 2 star QBs can be passed on by EVERY failing team in the NFL. And the Rams could certainly do with a new QB, whether that is through the draft or free agency.

There are more than 2 QBs in the draft who are acceptable. Bradford and McCoy are not the only ones available to be picked.

That may well be true enough, but we all know how most NFL GMs think, and picking a QB early tends to be one way.

Also I think that the idea that you don't want someone else to pick up the best QBs comes into the thinking somewhat.

There are no "best QBs" either. There are like 7 or 8 backs that I would rate as roughly equivalent pro prospects. One of the is going to be on the board in round 2.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may well be right, but I sometimes think a drafting teams mentality hits a 'can we afford not to' thought process. Personally I think anyone at the top of the draft board with a hole at QB is going to be thinking can we afford to pass up on a guy like Bradford or McCoy? Or whoever else they rate as the top rated QBs. Spagnuolo has seen up close and personal the value of drafting a QB and giving them time to develop, and you can't risk throwing in someone you rate as a second round pick, and the Rams do need help at the QB position, like now.

Of course a lot depends on free agency, and whether or not teams decide that trading is worthwhile. Remember for instance that the Texans traded for Schaub, so perhaps the Rams might go down that route under center?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You may well be right, but I sometimes think a drafting teams mentality hits a 'can we afford not to' thought process. Personally I think anyone at the top of the draft board with a hole at QB is going to be thinking can we afford to pass up on a guy like Bradford or McCoy? Or whoever else they rate as the top rated QBs. Spagnuolo has seen up close and personal the value of drafting a QB and giving them time to develop, and you can't risk throwing in someone you rate as a second round pick, and the Rams do need help at the QB position, like now.

Of course a lot depends on free agency, and whether or not teams decide that trading is worthwhile. Remember for instance that the Texans traded for Schaub, so perhaps the Rams might go down that route under center?

Like hell you can't. The (early 2000s) Ravens model is perfect for this team. Trent Dilfer helmed that team and has a Super Bowl ring to show for it. The Rams have one of the best running backs in the league, combined with an absolutely :censored: receiving corps. If you can build a lockdown defense, the talent of your QB becomes a significantly smaller issue. Indeed, the catastrophic state of the wideouts suggests that blowing a bunch of money to reach for a QB of questionable worth because (oh horrors!) he may or may not be better (in all likelihood this year, the latter) than somebody who's available at round 2 for $50 million less. Who is he going to throw to? If all the Rams are doing is handing the ball off, that doesn't really take advanced skills.

Additionally, I don't think anybody's in even Eli's class this year, so....Spags' experience may say best player available. The Rams are paying out $70 million in that position. Forget filling a specific hole, I want the surest thing in the draft. And that, for the record, looks like Ndamukong Suh.

Also: consider this franchise specific point. There is a significant number of idiots "fans" who are calling Chris Long a bust. It is imperative that the Rams hit on this pick. And when they hit it, the Rams need to hit it out of the park.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After last week's game, as a Bucs fan, I am VERY excited about the future with Josh Freeman. I'd have to watch more games to see what the specific problem on defense is, but that's what should be improved.

Also, the Chargers probably wouldn't take Best. They have Tomlinson, and Sproles.

Like hell you can't. The (early 2000s) Ravens model is perfect for this team. Trent Dilfer helmed that team and has a Super Bowl ring to show for it. The Rams have one of the best running backs in the league, combined with an absolutely :censored: receiving corps. If you can build a lockdown defense, the talent of your QB becomes a significantly smaller issue. Indeed, the catastrophic state of the wideouts suggests that blowing a bunch of money to reach for a QB of questionable worth because (oh horrors!) he may or may not be better (in all likelihood this year, the latter) than somebody who's available at round 2 for $50 million less. Who is he going to throw to? If all the Rams are doing is handing the ball off, that doesn't really take advanced skills.

Additionally, I don't think anybody's in even Eli's class this year, so....Spags' experience may say best player available. The Rams are paying out $70 million in that position. Forget filling a specific hole, I want the surest thing in the draft. And that, for the record, looks like Ndamukong Suh.

Also: consider this franchise specific point. There is a significant number of idiots "fans" who are calling Chris Long a bust. It is imperative that the Rams hit on this pick. And when they hit it, the Rams need to hit it out of the park.

Bulger has thrown 3 touchdown passes this year, and 4 interceptions. 2006 was the last year he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. He has a QB rating of 68 for the year. You can put that down to the receivers, but in a stat driven league, its tough to see Bulger getting another year at the Rams??

Dilfer was a first round pick, in 1994, and had 6 years experience before winning the Superbowl in Baltimore. Hardly comparable to waiting for a second rounder. And yes less talented QBs can win Superbowls, and Dilfer is always the guy trotted out to prove the point, but when was the last really not elite QB to win the Superbowl? I guess you'd probably need to go back to the Buccs?? Dilfer and guys like Rypien are the exception not the rule.

I think that the 'best player available' drafting rule is valuable and at some times you have to do that. But personally I wonder how some of these draft analysers can really say who the 'best player' on the board is? How do you decide who the best player in the NFL is? It seems like an impossible decision to make often.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Dilfer was a first round pick, in 1994, and had 6 years experience before winning the Superbowl in Baltimore. Hardly comparable to waiting for a second rounder. And yes less talented QBs can win Superbowls, and Dilfer is always the guy trotted out to prove the point, but when was the last really not elite QB to win the Superbowl? I guess you'd probably need to go back to the Buccs?? Dilfer and guys like Rypien are the exception not the rule.

Sho' would...you just went the wrong way.

Brad Johnson, in 2003. Not exactly "elite"...but dude did work in that 2002 season.

While we're discussing this...it's a good thing the Colts took the '06 'ship, because otherwise Rex Grossman's name would be dangling in this conversation... :wacko:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sho' would...you just went the wrong way.

Brad Johnson, in 2003. Not exactly "elite"...but dude did work in that 2002 season.

While we're discussing this...it's a good thing the Colts took the '06 'ship, because otherwise Rex Grossman's name would be dangling in this conversation... :wacko:

Wasn't Johnson the guy who was QB when the Vikings went 15-1? Very underrated QB. But not in the Mannings, Brady, Roethlisberger [sp?] level.

Edit- turns out it was Randall Cunningham not Johnson, but point still stands, Johnson was an underrated QB.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Seriously, since when is Eli Manning an elite QB? He may have won a 'ship and be paid like a top-tier QB, but that dude ain't elite. He's certainly above average, but elite? Oh, hell naw! Not just "no," but "naw!"

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Seriously, since when is Eli Manning an elite QB? He may have won a 'ship and be paid like a top-tier QB, but that dude ain't elite. He's certainly above average, but elite? Oh, hell naw! Not just "no," but "naw!"

Lol!!!

The guy does have 4 3,000 yard seasons in a row, and is on course for a 5th. I'd agree that there are probably 2 or 3 QBs who aren't in the 'elite' bracket who are better players (eg Drew Brees)and perhaps we wouldn't think as highly of Manning if he had another surname. But he is pretty consistently good, if not ever great.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Lol!!!

The guy does have 4 3,000 yard seasons in a row, and is on course for a 5th. I'd agree that there are probably 2 or 3 QBs who aren't in the 'elite' bracket who are better players (eg Drew Brees)and perhaps we wouldn't think as highly of Manning if he had another surname. But he is pretty consistently good, if not ever great.

For the record, Trent Green also once had five straight seasons with at least 3000 passing yards...the last three of which were 4000-yard passing seasons...yet I don't think very many people at all considered him "elite"...probably because he never won a 'ship.

So hence...the difference between "elite" and "not elite": the bling. Gotta have that bling. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Lol!!!

For the record, Trent Green also once had five straight seasons with at least 3000 passing yards...the last three of which were 4000-yard passing seasons...yet I don't think very many people at all considered him "elite"...probably because he never won a 'ship.

So hence...the difference between "elite" and "not elite": the bling. Gotta have that bling. :D

Maybe doesn't help doing it in Kansas City rather than New York either! Green would be another on my underrated QB list! Before Green's run in KC he had also thrown for over 2,000 yards in 5 starts in 2000 for the Rams. Indeed he and Warner threw for 5.492 yards combined in 2000. Not bad for 2 guys from Iowa!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Bulger has thrown 3 touchdown passes this year, and 4 interceptions. 2006 was the last year he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. He has a QB rating of 68 for the year. You can put that down to the receivers, but in a stat driven league, its tough to see Bulger getting another year at the Rams??

All he needs to do is hand it off to Steven Jackson. Which should be easier for him than Kyle "White Tony Banks" Boller. I don't expect Bulger to win with this team. However, I don't expect the Rams to win next year regardless of who is QBing. In such a situation, you might as well get a guy to groom in the second round and let Bulger stay as the punching bag for the year. On the flip side, a guy like Suh can pretty much fill the role of "instant pass rush" in St. Louis, which is rather important given its lackluster state.

Roethlisberger. Last year. Big Ben is tough. Big Ben can do some things in the clutch to help get wins. Big Ben, however, is not elite. If he didn't have that defense backing him up, he'd be helming a team that typically hovered around .500.

I think that the 'best player available' drafting rule is valuable and at some times you have to do that. But personally I wonder how some of these draft analysers can really say who the 'best player' on the board is? How do you decide who the best player in the NFL is? It seems like an impossible decision to make often.

We use "best player available" because "least likely to be a colossal and franchise-crippling waste of money" is too wordy. Another way of looking at it is "Best Prospect Available".

Today, we are all otaku.

Ok why no love for Tebow? I guarantee you someone will take him mid to late 1st round thinking they can turn him into a prototype NFL QB. And the Packers wont take a O-lineman if Ted Thompson somehow survives this debacle of a season, I mean he did seriously consider Crabtree in spite of all the depth at WR, and needs on OL,DL and in the secondary. So I could see him takin the RB from California, or maybe even Benn and then taking 2 or 3 mid round O lineman like he did this year. But the way the O-line has played for them this year, they should think QB since there gonna get A-Rod killed

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

We don't need to explain to you why Tebow isn't going in the first round of a mock draft. YOU need to explain why Tebow should be included. :P

However, I will offer you this. He can't make half of the NFL throws even average pro QBs can. His accuracy is atrocious. His throwing motion and the way he holds the ball is going to lead to a metric ton of turnovers. Seemingly he's a great kid, and one of the most special college players ever, but he just doesn't "project" well to the NFL. Hey, it happens, right? If he's a great pro, I'll be happy as hell for him, but I certainly don't expect it.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

We don't need to explain to you why Tebow isn't going in the first round of a mock draft. YOU need to explain why Tebow should be included. :P

However, I will offer you this. He can't make half of the NFL throws even average pro QBs can. His accuracy is atrocious. His throwing motion and the way he holds the ball is going to lead to a metric ton of turnovers. Seemingly he's a great kid, and one of the most special college players ever, but he just doesn't "project" well to the NFL. Hey, it happens, right? If he's a great pro, I'll be happy as hell for him, but I certainly don't expect it.

Don't get me wrong I'm no fan of him, everyone I know thinks hes destined for the Hall of Fame, and to me he just a more mobile, less accurate Danny Wuerfel (I think I spelled that right lol)

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

1. CLE - Taylor Mays - FS - USC

2. STL - Sam Bradford - QB - Oklahoma

3. DET - Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska

4. TB - Sean Witherspoon - OLB - Missouri

5. OAK - Carlos Dunlap - DE - Florida

6. KC - Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma St.

7. BUF - Sergio Kindle - OLB - Texas

8. WAS - Trent Williams - OT - Oklahoma

9. SEA - Jake Locker - QB - Washington

10. TEN - Gerald McCoy - DT - Oklahoma

11. CAR - Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma St.

12. NYJ - Corey Wootton - DE - Northwestern

13. SF - Eric Berry - SS - Tennessee

14. MIA - Greg Hardy - DE - Ole Miss

15. DEN (From CHI) - Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre Dame

16. JAX - Brandon Spikes - ILB - Florida

17. ATL - Terrence Cody - DT - Alabama

18. GB - Bryan Bulaga - OT - Iowa

19. HOU - Joe Haden - CB - Florida

20. NYG - Arrelious Benn - WR - Illinois

21. BAL - Morgan Burnett - SS - Georgia Tech

22. PHI - Rolondo McClain - ILB - Alabama

23. SEA (From DEN) - Ciron Black - OT - LSU

24. SD - Jahvid Best - RB - California

25. DAL - Dezmon Briscoe - WR - Kansas

26. ARZ - Jerry Hughes - DE - TCU

27. PIT - Anthony Davis - OT - Rutgers

28. NE - Marvin Austin - DT - North Carolina

29. CIN - Brandon Graham - DE - Michigan

30. MIN - Colt McCoy - QB - Texas

31. IND - Sean Lee - ILB - Penn St.

32. NO - Kam Chancellor - SS - Virginia Tech

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Why the heck are the Rams spending $65 million on a spread QB with a twice-bum shoulder?

Today, we are all otaku.

Because they're CRAZY :P

Except those people were fired. Or given a titular promotion to "de facto father figure/team pope" and hopefully stripped of all decision making powers.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived