Discrimibattle Xix

Discrim

i thought about it, and i decided that a rehash of NFL minors can wait, and so can NBA Cage Game. Baseball season's starting, and i thought this would be appropriate for the first post-Manic March battle. The theme is the Negro Leagues, and here's the lowdown:

-your team can be actual or fictional. actual teams may or may not have a logo, and most pics you'll find are of players on the most famous teams (i.e. Homestead Grays, KC Monarchs, Cuban X Giants). Therefore, the guidelines are these:

if you choose to create a fictional team, team names typically had Elite, Black, Negro, Brown, Cuban, etc. attached to the name. some didn't, but most did.

whatever you choose, a 30's-40's style will do nicely. not many photos exist, but they do make negro league jerseys in throwback form. therefore, it'll take something pretty blatant for me to disqualify your entry. if you have any questions, i'll answer em.

entry deadline is April 15, that's next thursday night at 8 pm CT, so this one's a two-weeker.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm confused. So are we supposed to create a team and logo? You just seemed to contradict yourself thoughout the entire post.

First it says "your team can be actual or fictional" but then it says "let's see a modernization for your fictional team." Are we supposed to make one up?

"Let's see a modernization." then it says " A 30-40's style will do nicely" So is it supposed to look old or modern?

Forgive me if I'm just slow.

"...and you want to be my latex salesman."

vandelay.jpg

ah, forget it...screw the modernizations since it's confusing people already. we're just gonna go 30s-40s style. i'd only be able to catch ya if you enter one of the more famous teams(i.e. i can find a pic of their jersey, at least) so go crazy. do any design style you want

2016cubscreamsig.png

Guess I'm the first entry. I decided to go the ficticious route and do the Milwaukee Black Brewers. I know we did have a Negro League team called the Bears, but Black is beautiful, so I'm rollin' with that.

Anyway, my entry: http://www.angelfire.com/wi3/fu/blackbrewers.gif

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

pittunited_blacktars_baseball.jpg

The Norfolk Tars were a Class B farm club of the Yankees in the 30s and 40s. ("Tar" is slang for "sailor," if you didn't know, and Norfolk is the headquarters of the US Navy's Atlantic Fleet.) It just seemed natural that there might have been a "Black Tars" in the area at the time. Plus the name seemed appropriately derogatory given the social climate of the South in that time...

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

good work so far, and no i didn't know what a Tar was, in that sense, til i read teh description.

that said, senor post...aceptas mi bumpo :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

Columbus(OH) Knights. Was gonna call them the Black Knights, but there was a terrible Martin Lawrence movie of the same name and decided I would want to downplay any connection. That home uni color is natural, before the days when the Negro leagues would have gotten bleach white uniforms.

Columbus Knights

alright, it's Deadline Day...coincidentally, it's also the anniversary of Jackie Robinson's major league debut...so RIP Jackie

voting starts at 8 pm, so come one, come all! :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

it's the top of the 8th, one out, man on first...Gibson's 2 for 3 today, looking for 3...oh, wait a minute, it's started raining...the umpire's called the game! 

Deadline comes up due to rain...we start voting now. good luck and see ya sunday!

2016cubscreamsig.png

Archived