DOY?

the_cynic

Who's your pick for 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright, who's the 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year gonna be?

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I don't know much about basketball, but I got a nifty little idea. Since you were nice enough to give us stats for each guy, I added up the stats for each player and my boy KG came out on top.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

As much as it pains me to praise an Indiana Pacer, I believe Ron Artest deserves to be on that ballot... the guy is hound on the defensive end of the court.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

I have to agree with Starchild here. Garnett will win it but where is Ron Artest on the list? He came in second to Big Ben last year and is having just as good a year, if not better, this year.

I went with Garnett, in hopes that he does get both. History is against him, however, as I think only Hakeem Olajuwon has done that feat. 1993-94, he won MVP, DPotY and Finals MVP.

I very well might be wrong, though, about him being the only one to win DPotY and MVP.

**EDIT**

I WAS wrong about Olajuwon being the only one to win both. He was, however, the only to win all three of the mentioned awards.

1987-88: Michael Jordan (Finals MVP was James Worthy)

- I searched through to 1982-83, when the DPotY award began.

[AD - NCFA] Arctic University Kodiaks (5-1-0, CONF 0-0-0)

[Owner - NABA] Arctic Menace (18-12)

Copying JQK and CC

Minneapolis.gif

VP.jpg

I didn't put Artest on the list because I looked at his numbers and compared to everyone else, he just didn't match up!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I think the 4 front runners are Ben Wallace, Theo Ratliff, Ron Artest and Andrei Kirilenko. KG and TD aren't known for their great defense, but their offense. These other 4 are all defensive players, with not much offense (except Ron Ron). I think Kirilenko will most likely get it, but I would like to see Theo who is being unstoppable right now in the post on defense.

I didn't put Artest on the list because I looked at his numbers and compared to everyone else, he just didn't match up!

Of course Artest's numbers don't compare - he's a small forward. He's not standing under the boards like Ben Wallace waiting for his teammates to funnel opposing players to him so he can block shots and grab rebounds. Artest's game is harassing the other team's top scorer to the point where he doesn't get the ball and when he does, he misses a lot of shots. The Pacers' assistant coaches have tracked the players Artest has guarded through the first 71 games, and they have combined to average 9.4 shots and 8.4 points per game (source: Pacers.com).

For those of you who credit Ben Wallace for Detroit's streak of five-straight games holding opponents under 70 points, I'm afraid you are crediting the wrong Wallace. It's no coincidence that those games came shortly after the Pistons traded for Rasheed.

• 2 weeks later...

I care more about the odor composition of Liberache's old farts that NBA basketball, but it woudl be kinda interesting if the winner wasn't someone included in this poll. Or even, someone not included in the conversation, even!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Why does the NBA do their awards liek this. It's almsot like a secret. I say they should all do it like the NHL have an award show a few days after the playoffs to celebrate the sport announce all the awards and raise money for some disease.

and the NFL should do it the Friday before the SB.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived