Wizards of Oz: Duel in the Locker

NJTank

Reports: Guns drawn in argument

NEW YORK -- Washington Wizards teammates Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other during a Christmas Eve locker room argument over a gambling debt, according to The New York Post.

Last week, the Wizards and Arenas acknowledged that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker, and the NBA said it was looking into the situation.

It was during that investigation that a confrontation between Arenas and Crittenton was revealed, according to a Yahoo! Sports report

The dispute stemmed from an unspecified disagreement, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Citing an anonymous source, the Post reported in Friday's edition, however, that the standoff was sparked when Crittenton became angry at Arenas for refusing to make good on a gambling debt.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources told the Post.

Asked by the newspaper about the confrontation, Arenas denied pulling a gun on Crittenton.

"This is unprecedented in the history of sports," Billy Hunter, executive director of the NBA players' association, told the Post. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

The Wizards issued a statement Dec. 24 that Arenas had stored unloaded firearms in a container in his locker at the arena and that the NBA was looking into the situation.

On Tuesday, Washington, D.C. police said they were investigating a report that weapons were found inside a locker room at the Verizon Center.

Now, the federal government is also involved. Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC, told the Post "we're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation.".

Hopefully they will be on opposite teams when they go to prison.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-facepalm- @ this.

I mean, come on, is gambling THAT serious that you gotta pull out guns? Especially if you're FREAKIN MILLIONAIRES IN THE NBA?! I mean, for two guys to have to come to the point where they're pulling guns on each other over gambling, that had better been a HUGE debt. That being said, Gilbert's actions have been really erratic as of late.

How embarrassing for DC sports which had a 2009 full of embarrassment. These guys either need to be let go, NOW, or they need to rename them the Bullets again.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Glad to see the Wizards nipped that whole "Gilbert stows his guns in his locker because it's safer than having them at home" thing in the bud.

Also, Jigga, this one's for you: Thugs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

-facepalm- @ this.

I mean, come on, is gambling THAT serious that you gotta pull out guns? Especially if you're FREAKIN MILLIONAIRES IN THE NBA?! I mean, for two guys to have to come to the point where they're pulling guns on each other over gambling, that had better been a HUGE debt. That being said, Gilbert's actions have been really erratic as of late.

People shoot each other over far less than that. A person who will pull a gun on someone doesn't need a good reason to do it. It's more about personality than it is about the magnitude (for lack of a better term) of the dispute.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Sure hope this is false reporting or a practical joke.

Pollyanna lives. biggrin.gif

Yeah, maybe I had a little STL Fanatic moment there. I just don't like to see the anti-NBA contingent get more ammunition, as it were, for their cause.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I believe this will put to rest any further consideration of changing the team's name back to Bullets.

Well, hey, we don't know for sure that the guns were loaded...

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, maybe I had a little STL Fanatic moment there. I just don't like to see the anti-NBA contingent get more ammunition, as it were, for their cause.

I am a Wizard?

Just because I saw this at the Blues game the other day and the opportunity has presented itself for me to further defend my words..

http://blues.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=-7&id=34882

I am a Wizard?

Today we are all Wizards.

BB52Big.jpg

Where's the security at the Verizon Center? I can't believe that these athletes can get guns into a locker room inside an arena?

I would seriously think that the Players Union would have a big problem with its players being frisked going into their locker rooms. Maybe its warranted, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

Where's the security at the Verizon Center? I can't believe that these athletes can get guns into a locker room inside an arena?

I would seriously think that the Players Union would have a big problem with its players being frisked going into their locker rooms. Maybe its warranted, but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

No. It's no warranted at all. It's assuming that every player in the league is as stupid these two were.

BB52Big.jpg

No. It's no warranted at all. It's assuming that every player in the league is as stupid these two were.

Its also the mentality that one (or two in this case) bad apple spoils the entire bunch.

This sounds reasonable in my mind, but could this be perceived as a product of the lifestyle of an NBA player today.

Granted, there is the dress code as a way to deter the whole theory of NBA players being wannabe thugs, but something like this just keeps that perception alive and makes the NBA look bad.

Archived