Space Shuttle End-Of-Program Patch Finalists

Webhamster

NASA is running a contest for agency employees to design a commemorative patch for the end of the Space Shuttle Program. For anyone who may not be aware, the shuttle is to be retired from service after flying mission STS-133 in September. They have now released the 15 finalists which will be voted on by agency employees from January 11-29. You can see the finalists here.

All seem way too detailed to become an actual patch, but the First and Last one that infrared posted are gorgeous, especially the last...

Agreed but they would make nice lithographs or something. I really liked the first one best when I first saw it but the last one really grows on you. It looks more serious for lack of a better term.

BB52Big.jpg

All seem way too detailed to become an actual patch, but the First and Last one that infrared posted are gorgeous, especially the last...

The article states that NASA's in-house graphic artists would work with the winning design to convert the "vision" to a final design I suppose that would also entail removing some detail and moving things around much the same way Roscosmos adapts children's drawings for Soyuz patches.

In addition to infrared's picks I also like this one:

sscp10-lg.jpg

It has some good potential. The colours need to change and I'm not sure about including ISS and Hubble on it. They are two major shuttle accomplishments, for sure, but by no means sum up the entire program.

thanks for sharing :)

tip: read the arists descriptions, often little, but important things are only seen then, rather than when you "fly" over them.

These 2 patches are my favorites.

sscp14-lg.jpg

+

the california nebula (red)

the wing goodbye wave

the 2 quasars

-

don't like the overall square frame

Shuttle Enterprise is missing, even if it's "just" an Orbiter.

sscp25-lg.jpg

+

the black/navy/gold/orange sunset

the symbols (shuttle landing, mars, moon, galaxy (hubble and co), the new transporter orion)

the inner stars for each shuttle mission (including Enterprise and the 2 lost ones)

-

the red outline (I'd add them to the landing strip on each side)

I'd turn the shuttle around so the nose looks towards the beholder

thanks for sharing :)

tip: read the arists descriptions, often little, but important things are only seen then, rather than when you "fly" over them.

These 2 patches are my favorites.

sscp14-lg.jpg

+

the california nebula (red)

the wing goodbye wave

the 2 quasars

-

don't like the overall square frame

Shuttle Enterprise is missing, even if it's "just" an Orbiter.

sscp25-lg.jpg

+

the black/navy/gold/orange sunset

the symbols (shuttle landing, mars, moon, galaxy (hubble and co), the new transporter orion)

the inner stars for each shuttle mission (including Enterprise and the 2 lost ones)

-

the red outline (I'd add them to the landing strip on each side)

I'd turn the shuttle around so the nose looks towards the beholder

All of these designs are very cool. To the bolded items above...the square frame does look a little forced. If they want to keep the stars and stripes element, they could add a second circular outline a la Apollo 1:

apollo-1.gif

I think the idea of the shuttle facing away is that it's flying off into the sunset.

Looking at the gallery, it's remarkable how many outstanding designs there are and how nice the execution is on each.

Wow - this is the artist's explanation ref the lower patch shown above:

===

The focus of the design is the orbiter coming home for a safe landing at the conclusion of it's final mission. The sun is setting on an extraordinary era while the constellation Orion rises in the sky - the next golden age of exploration? We hope so. The crescent Moon and the red "star" of the planet Mars as seen from Earth are prominently displayed as they represent the goals of the Constellation Program. The galaxy is a tribute to the Great Observatories launched by the space shuttle. Hubble, Chandra, Compton and the knowledge gained from those satellites. The International Space Station passes overhead. Now complete, it continues its mission of science and international cooperation

The inner border is made up of 135 stars representing every shuttle mission. The first star is blue to honor the work performed in the atmospheric test of the orbiter "Enterprise." The stars representing the STS-51L and STS-107 missions are gold to reflect on their ultimate sacrifice. The outer border prominently displays the colors of the Flag of the United States of America - to honor the people who designed, built, and supported the program in other ways. From the administrators to the clerical staff and maintenance workers - and to those who cheered on from the sidelines. The dates 1976-2010 were chosen because the first orbiter rolled out of the assembly plant on September 17, 1976 "Constitution Day" during our Bicentennial Year.

===

Love the stars for each mission and the colored ones for Enterprise's work and the lost shuttles, though it would be nice if the gold stars could be made to stand out more.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The best one not mentioned so far is this:

sscp74-lg.jpg

So many of the other patches are trying to say too much and suffer from trying to include too many elements. Sort of like the worst of the state quarters (I'm looking square at you Louisiana quarter).

This is simple and iconic. It has the most potential to be made better than it is now.

• 4 weeks later...

they made the right choice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived