Ottawa Senators Concept

speedy

Well sticking to the trend of retooling my previous concepts, next up is the Ottawa Senators. I originally did this shortly after their new identity package was unveiled. Essentially it's a mash up of old and new to create what I would've done. I never cared much for the 3D Roman, and the newer one isn't much better, so those were left in the trash. I never got around to doing a uniform to go with the logos, so that's where present day comes in.

First the logos, again, this is bits and pieces of the two 2D Senators. The alternate is the way I would've treated their barber pole "O", because let's be honest their current mark looks like a half-assed attempt that wasn't finished by the deadline.

2ottawa.png

Now onto the uniforms. This is a unique edge cut, I visioned it as the 2nd generation of what Tampa, Pitt, Ottawa etc currently uses. Now the alternate is the biggest question mark about this whole set, to me. Of course it's barber pole. The questions I have is, does a retro barber pole jersey work in modern sports (on a weekly basis, not like the Habs last year)? Another is, do the stripes look awkward conforming to the cut of the jersey? Let me hear your feedback.

1ottawa.png

Nice. I like this concept. The logos are REALLY clean and crisp, especially with that shade of gold, I think you definitely improved what they use now. When working with the Senators, I've always found it difficult to work in gold to the uniforms, but I think this piping is a good solution. The refined template looks good. The back of the jersey is really modern and futuristic looking, and I'm happy that the piping actually does something and adds to the design, unlike most Reebok piping. The only thing I can see to improve the home and away would be to fill in the same panels on the template, so on the bottom of the arms, the road jersey would have white cutting off the sleeve stripes. Alternate, pretty good, I've never really loved barberpole, but you toned it down a little by cutting off the stripes around the numbers, so it looks better. I like what you did here though.

I'm not a fan of the gold piping on the home and roads, and I don't like how the bottom of the sleeves don't match on the home and roads.

Also, the alternative would probably look better if the stripes were broader. If there were fewer stripes, it'd probably be a little more acceptable-looking by modern standards.

On a more positive note, I do like the template you used for the home and road jerseys- it really suits the curves and sharp corners of the primary logo well.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Overall, this is really good. There are two things I'm not sold on though. 1) I don't really like how the home and road jerseys look on the back. The way the striping converges pinches the design in a weird way. 2) The O you used has an counter that isn't vertically symmetrical. It looks to be an Old Style typeface in a place where a transitional serif font would work better.

Overall, this is nice. I do have a few issues, however. I agree with aci about the mismatched sleeves. I'd recommend dropping the red inside sleeve section on the white jersey. Secondly, bohob's correct about the apparent "tilt" on that Old Style O. Also on that logo, it would be nice if you reengineered the barber pole stripes behind the O so that they would line up with the stripes on the alternate jersey. Right now they don't and it's creating a strange visual interaction where the stripes don't quite "flow" behind the logo. It would also serve to make that logo a bit simpler. Finally, I think you should consider adding a thin gold stripe above the black stripe on the socks, so that they match the jersey pattern.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived