Dallas Cowboys helmet star

wdm1219inpenna

In watching, and re-watching so many of my DVDs showcasing the first 30 Super Bowl seasons & Super Bowl highlights, one of the most treasured gifts from my wife who I treasure above all else, looking back on Super Bowl XII and XIII highlights, I cannot help but notice the star on Staubach's helmet and other Cowboy players' helmets looks bigger there than they do now. Did they once have a bigger star or am I just imagining this?

While I wouldn't doubt that it has gotten smaller (like the Saints logo over the years) I think a lot of it might have to do with the shape of the helmet. Those old helmets were like a hard shell that was just over the head. As the decades go and technology improves, I think there is more surface area and logos look smaller. I also think that with this latest wave of designs, they are oddly shaped between the side of the head and the helmet stripe so they might shrink logos to fit the side of the head better.

Sorry that this wasn't a definitive answer, but just my .02.

KISSwall09.jpg

Your answer was quite clear to me actually, and made a great deal of sense.

Here are 3 pictures, 1 is a black & white one of Staubach w/the bigger looking star, the other 2 are of Emmitt Smith & of the "Triplets" I believe some 15 or so years later, and the star looks a bit smaller on their helmets compared to Roger's helmet.

COWBOYSSTARSTHENANDNOW.png

See what I mean by the sizing of the star?

Here are 3 pictures, 1 is a black & white one of Staubach w/the bigger looking star, the other 2 are of Emmitt Smith & of the "Triplets" I believe some 15 or so years later, and the star looks a bit smaller on their helmets compared to Roger's helmet.

Yes, and as mentioned, the Saints' FDL logo was ridiculously big back in the day, as seen below. Part of the reason why has to do with the emergence of TV coverage. Back when there was little TV exposure, unis were designed to be seen from the stands, not on a screen, so they made the logos as big as possible. The Vikes are another good example.

kilmer5.jpgpierre-thomas.jpg

tarkntn1.jpgtarkntn2.jpgBrettFavreVikings.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Yes, and as mentioned, the Saints' FDL logo was ridiculously big back in the day, as seen below. Part of the reason why has to do with the emergence of TV coverage. Back when there was little TV exposure, unis were designed to be seen from the stands, not on a screen, so they made the logos as big as possible. The Vikes are another good example.

Nice attempt to hijack and turn this thread into another Saints thread, but if you hadn't noticed, the Saints' logo has actually changed since the 1960s.

6uXNWAo.png

Nice attempt to hijack and turn this thread into another Saints thread, but if you hadn't noticed, the Saints' logo has actually changed since the 1960s.

What's your malfunction, man? ? I'm trying to hijack the thread by using the Saints as one example of what the original poster was talking about, because they happen to be a good example?

And if you want to call a size reduction and addition of outlines "changing" the logo, well, you go right ahead. I'd say the white helmet Jets logo vs. the green helmet Jets logo is a much better illustration of "changing" the logo but hey, whatever makes you happy. :rolleyes:

Okay, if I fell for a PS pic in my haste to post, shame on me. Here's what I assume to be a legit pic of the Vikes' smaller horn:

tarkntn1.jpgAdrianPeterson_400.jpg

Uh oh, somebody's trying to hijack this into a Vikings thread!

Wait, no, Dolphins...

Manny%20Fernandez.jpg

What the heck, we haven't seen a Chiefs thread in a while.

nfl-chiefs-super_bowl_iv_dawson-len-16-red-1970-stockpic1.jpg

And BTW...helmethut.com has many good examples of the original poster's point, including these two Cowboys helmets from guys who were teammates...

lilly2.jpgwaters.JPG

The one on the right is a little bigger at least. It's also an example of an interesting helmet type, the clear shell, where the paint, stripes, and logo are applied to the inside of the helmet shell.

I wish teams would use the larger helmet logos again. They just look much better to me. I have a Seahawks helmet bank that looks amazing since the Seahawk completely fills the space. Looks much better than the size on the actual helmets.

I know we're talking helmets here but since it's also logo size and you brought up the Seahawks, I can't stand their stupid 'why bother'-sized sleeve logos:

2008365853.jpg

Now that's a sleeve logo!

Zorn,%20Jim--downfield.jpg

Are you sure it's not the helmet logo changing dramatically but the helmet size changing instead? Modern helmets look bigger, so any difference is accentuated.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Are you sure it's not the helmet logo changing dramatically but the helmet size changing instead? Modern helmets look bigger, so any difference is accentuated.

This is indeed true. In watching Super Bowl V highlights, the horseshoe looks larger too than before. I prefer the smaller logos on the helmets and on the sleeves too.

Of course some teams increased their logo sizes while not having the helmets get bigger. I'm thinking the original Buccaneers had a smaller Bucco Brucie and they enlarged it after a few years, Pat the Patriot was smaller and made larger later on, and of course the Buffalo Bills enlarged their logo while they still wore the white helmets. That logo still seems to take up the entire helmet practically too!

This is indeed true. In watching Super Bowl V highlights, the horseshoe looks larger too than before. I prefer the smaller logos on the helmets and on the sleeves too.

Of course some teams increased their logo sizes while not having the helmets get bigger. I'm thinking the original Buccaneers had a smaller Bucco Brucie and they enlarged it after a few years, Pat the Patriot was smaller and made larger later on, and of course the Buffalo Bills enlarged their logo while they still wore the white helmets. That logo still seems to take up the entire helmet practically too!

Boy was he!

pd382342.jpg

Archived