Philadelphia Eagles Re-brand, Update!

fkaKrock5cent

Hello All!

In the NFL 2010-2011 Thread in the Sports Logos section someone (I think it was Icecap) mentioned that the Eagles should bring back the full body eagle logo as the primary mark, but it would require an Arizona Cardnals like facelift. With that statement in mind I retraced this logo but simplified it. Now my problem is that it is too simple and I come to you all for some advice on how to add character to this logo.

A quick note: The lower drawling is my original sketch, which I felt looked better then what I have now that it has been put into digital format

eaglelogo.png

Any advice would be great!

Thank you

Is there a way to make the wings look close to the wings on the helmet? I'm not sure if the helmet wings are any where close to real bird wings, so maybe not, but it would be cool to see a tie in there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there a way to make the wings look close to the wings on the helmet? I'm not sure if the helmet wings are any where close to real bird wings, so maybe not, but it would be cool to see a tie in there.

That was my initial thought too, BBTV. I'll mock it up real quick again to see what you all think of it.

Looking good. I was thinking of doing a full-body mockup resembling the head, but assuming this is a complete redesign, then right now it's a staart.

I'd highly suggest blocking in shadows and highlights, I know it's a work in progress but it'd look a little better after changes are made.

Thicker outlines. You need them bad. Also, positioning of the head is a little weird. It looks as if you weren't sure whether it should overlap the left wing. I would show more overlap, so the viewer doesn't have to guess. I also agree with whoever said this could use some simple shading.

Woah, the wings are a no-go.

I'm getting the idea of what you were trying todo, but it just didn't turn out the way it should've. I'm suggesting simply dropping the updates you have just made entirely.

Take a look at this picture below:

irbr525.jpg

Now, notice the feathers here. There are hundreds of thousands of feathers withing one wing of a bird.

Now take a look back at yours. You simplified it waaaaaaay too much, and I think the feathers could be a nice touch for this design. Now, there's no way anyone wpuld try and add ALL of those feathers, so I'd just simplify that. Try outlining the tips of the feathers, going in rows. I'd also consider adding small strokes connected to the tips for definitiion of individual feathers.

BEFORE you do that, focus on the wing shape and angle you're trying to convey. Refererring back to the posted picture above, notice the shoulder placement. It's generally placed just shy of the neck (it's placed perferctly in the logo you have now, it's that indent you have above the body), and, as you should know, the wing of a bird is made up of various parts, similar to the human arm, however, connected to the arms are feathers.

Now, what you have isn't biographically possible; the shoulder is on the wing itself. I'm not sure if you intended on making the wings appear folded, but it ended up looking as such. If you want the wing to fold like that, I would bring that line (meaning the bottom left point of the gray area of the wing on our right) more around the shoulder area so that it appears as the wing has folded more naturally. Then you could start adding in those feathers if you choose to do so. I'd consider repeating this step for both wings.

Now second of all, the placement of the talons is very awkward, it appears to be at his throat. I'm not sure if this is so, but it's decieving because of the many shapes you have going on below the neck: get rid of all of them for now.

Here's another pic:

spread-eagle_mg0936.jpg

This is essentially the same angle as you're bird, but flipped. Take a look at the talon placement. Notice the connection it has to it's backside. We have the talon connected to the foot, connected to the leg, connected to the hip. It's the same as a human (kind of). I'd think about that as you're going along with this project, I really like the idea you're going for.

Last but not least, the feathered tail. You've got you're perspectives all wrong here bud. That curve should be flipped. When I'm designing logos with perspective, I always think to myself: What do I see first; what is closest to me? In this case, it's the backside, so it should appear as if the backside is IN FRONT OF the tail. I'd also consider throwing some feathers on there.

Well, there's my C & C for now. Take it as you wish, looking foward to an update.

I think you should go for something like this for the wings, its simple yet detailed....

Rutgers-104.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, sorry for takin' so long. It's been a crazy few weeks for me! I made a few tweaks to the shape of the body, including adjusting the head and talons per C jay Z's suggestion. However I did keep the shading because I liked how it transitioned onto the helmet, which is posted here.

eaglelogo-3-1.png

Thanks for reading!

Archived