Semi-Obscure Old School NFL Uniform Details

darkhaha

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cards-Dallas, 1979. Definitely appears to be an armband.

The question is whether or not it was also used on the Red jerseys.

Give me a few minutes, and I might be able to provide some vidcaps of the 1979 Cards red jerseys. I'm working on the '73 49ers sleeveless caps and the early 70s Bears sleeveless caps also.

Bears from the early 70s (not sure of exact year, taken from 1976 NFL follies film, but I think it was in 1971. Saints still wearing gold pants and it's not the 1973 game because Bears wore stripes in the '73 game -- I've seen the highlight -- which was played in N.O. This clip occurred in Chicago, and I'm gonna guess 1971 because it appears Kent Nix is the QB for the Bears. Pro-Football-Reference.com has Nix as a Bears QB in '71, but the Bears had no QB who wore 16 in '74). 4441099835_de12c7a03f.jpg

1973 49ers (taken from NFL '73 highlight video) 4441878012_c393d86f4a.jpg

OK, you have to look real good at the bottom of the left sleeve of No. 25, but I believe the Cards wore the black armband on the red jerseys in 1979. This was captured from the 1979 Dallas Cowboys highlight film.

4441125813_324b8d68b2_o.jpg

4441131183_4b6177406e_o.jpg

This is from '88. Not definitive by any stretch but it looks like the 'snort' may have the detail lines.

2156724.jpg

The only other closeup had glare at the exact spot on the logo we're looking at. Looks like a black outline on the horse though.

2123766.jpg

Wow. It sure does look like Black.

Hmmm...

Yeah - the Broncos used a black outline - this is a helmet from 1996 on display at the Hall of Fame:

dsc08653.jpg

More evidence on both the black outline and "detailed horse" here: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=16340

comp01-11.jpg

Finally, here is an entire Broncos helmet history that details the Broncos D logo differences and shows black outlines (complete with your color detail - color werx)

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=144362

The biggest difference with the detail logo is the lines in the horse's smoke, but there are other differences with the horse's mane, eyes, and some "extra" definition lines on the horse's midsection, ears and snout. While that Elway pic has the glare on the smoke, you can clearly see the mane matches the detail logo I posted.

I grew up a Broncos fan during this era and I could never understand why Broncos merchandise never had the "right" logo. And I got super excited when I was 10-11 and went to a game at the old Mile High and got a sticker with the "right" logo.

Finally, here is an entire Broncos helmet history that details the Broncos D logo differences and shows black outlines (complete with your color detail - color werx)

http://forums.denver...ad.php?t=144362

The biggest difference with the detail logo is the lines in the horse's smoke, but there are other differences with the horse's mane, eyes, and some "extra" definition lines on the horse's midsection, ears and snout. While that Elway pic has the glare on the smoke, you can clearly see the mane matches the detail logo I posted.

I grew up a Broncos fan during this era and I could never understand why Broncos merchandise never had the "right" logo. And I got super excited when I was 10-11 and went to a game at the old Mile High and got a sticker with the "right" logo.

Ya learn something every day, huh? Somehow I never noticed the Black in the logo - and I usually make note of these kinds of things. Looks like I'll have to make an adjustment to my database...

Anyone know the seasons this Black outline was used?

Not wanting to add to the confusion about the Broncos helmets, but there are very distinct differences between the decals on the Elway HOF pic and the Louis Wright helmet. The Elway helmet has the clear outer edge around the decal and the Wright has a less rounded "D" with no clear border. Plus the white stripes on the Wright helmet are much wider than what I recall the Broncos ever wearing.

Cards-Bears, December 1979. Looks like a black armband on #33's sleeve.

f3co68.jpg

That's Tim Ryan on the left in the top right photo. If there was EVER an unsung versatile talent in the broadcasting industry, it's him. He announced the second period of Game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup while Dan Kelly called the first & third. More than thirty years later he called some of the skiing events at the Vancouver Olympics. Very straightforward, yet professional all the way, he broadcasts some of the things you don't watch first but calls them with class...

Two things about helmets back then that are interesting are how some guys had makeshift face masks - apparently the two-bar wasn't out yet at this point...

3414971.jpg

And Mike Garrett has a two-bar with another piece that attaches on to give nose protection:

2156816.jpg

...and how helmets obviously weren't reconditioned or even touched up as the season went on. This one isn't that bad but it's a little beat up. Hey, a twofer on semi-obscure details - nobody has team warm-up jackets personalized with the player's number anymore, do they?

2164934.jpg

Part of the 'K' and the 'C' have been knocked off.

3414986.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Cards-Bears, December 1979. Looks like a black armband on #33's sleeve.

That's Tim Ryan on the left in the top right photo. If there was EVER an unsung versatile talent in the broadcasting industry, it's him. He announced the second period of Game 6 of the 1980 Stanley Cup while Dan Kelly called the first & third. More than thirty years later he called some of the skiing events at the Vancouver Olympics. Very straightforward, yet professional all the way, he broadcasts some of the things you don't watch first but calls them with class...

Yeah, that Tim Ryan is better than Tim Ryan the analyst. PBP Tim is certainly better than most of the PBP talent on FOX.

Closer to topic, I like the Bears' overcoats in those shots. I miss the less-homogenized NFL apparel on the sidelines.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=144362

That's Nick!

Archived