The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Maybe I'm biased due to the fact that I pulled for the Jazz in the 97 and 98 Finals, but it really was a solid look, overall.

The J/note logo, while a decent logo, was a hold-over from the New Orleans days. The purple, sky blue, and copper look was uniquely Utah. Shame they've chipped away at what was a solid, if a bit 90s, identity in favour of first a bland imitation of what was "in" at the time, and then a tired, poorly executed, retread of an identity that never really fit the location.

This is interesting because both you and I are Jazz fans but yet we look at this completely differently! I could honestly care less if their logo has any ?Utah elements? in it, as long as it looks good, which in my opinion their new identity does. It?s really the best of both worlds for me!

I think it has to do when I became a Jazz fan. I started rooting for the team in 1997 when they, in my eyes at the time, valiantly stood up to the Chicago Bulls juggernaut. So that could very well be why I like the mountain look.

Like I said, I don't prefer the note, but if they're going to go in that direction they should commit to that direction and lose the recoloured primary. I know it's much ado about nothing, seeing as the recoloured mountain will rarely, if ever, see any exposure, but the fact that it's still the team's primary yet matches nothing else bugs me.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

new_cavs_logo_200.gif

new_secondary_logos_592.gif

Cavaliers Update Logos to Reflect an "Original Expression" of Wine & Gold

Article on Cavs.com

CLEVELAND, OH - June 21, 2010 - The Cleveland Cavaliers announced today that they have updated their primary and secondary logos and wordmarks to now represent an ?original expression? of the team?s wine and gold colors.

The logo and wordmark designs will remain the same, but the color changes, to a deeper wine and brighter gold, are truer to the hues that were a part of the team?s history from 1970-1983. These original colors have been very popular with fans as evidenced in the recent success of the team?s Hardwood Classic line of merchandise and specialty uniforms that features retro styles and colors from the earlier years of the Cavs.

?The response from our fans related to our classic uniforms and merchandise has been tremendous over the last several seasons, especially our original wine and gold color mix items. As a result, we?re very excited to bring the spirit of the original expression of wine and gold into our brand full-time for the future,? said Tracy Marek, the Cavaliers senior vice president of marketing. The team will incorporate the color updates into all of their branding and graphics, including new uniforms for the upcoming 2010-2011 season. The new uniforms will debut later this summer.

The current Cavalier logo designs and full graphic identity package were introduced at the final home game of the 2002-2003 season as a ?new expression of wine and gold.? Now, the updated Cavalier logos and graphic identity package will reflect the fan-popular original wine and gold colors, along with the navy that was introduced during the 2003 makeover.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/logo_updated_100621.html

Cavs officially unveiled their revised color scheme/logos today. Contrary to a report back in March, it doesn't look like there's any new "crossing swords" logo included in the package - just the old logos with new colors.

No mention on when the new uniforms will be unveiled.

EDIT: Well, shoot. Looks like I was beaten to the punch while I was talking with a co-worker.

All I'll say is what you see there isn't 100% accurate. We've all seen the leaked wordmark from the draft caps.

No point in me posting the Cavs stuff, I'm sure Colorwerx will give us some much sharper images.

Go ahead and post them if you want...I'll probably do a separate thread once ready...

Go ahead and post them if you want...I'll probably do a separate thread once ready...

Thanks, but the Cavs article has all (almost all) the new stuff there, mine wouldn't be much different where as yours will show the proper colors.

Do you recolor everything in AI or is your database able to take a file and convert all the colors?

Just seen the Cavs update... they still refuse to fix the neutered part of the C in Cavaliers at the bottom.

Does anyone know why they used a different C for Cavaliers compared to Cleveland? The C in Cleveland looks infinitely better than screwed up C in Cavaliers.

Here is a word mark concept I was working on (and still, kind of, working on) that fixes the neutered C in the work mark:

NamesandBoxNumbers.png?t=1277151608

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Just seen the Cavs update... they still refuse to fix the neutered part of the C in Cavaliers at the bottom.

Like I said, we've seen the draft caps and most likely they will not continue using the wordmark you updated.

I just hate the idea of having 1 word mark on the Jersey... and another on the logo. Kind of like what the Magic did the past 2 seasons. It looks like :censored:.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I find it funny how the Warriors partial logo isn't really a true partial! :D Also, the Jazz new wordmark logo isn't on their logosheet, it just shows the secondary logo outlined in gray, and the uniform wordmarks. Where the heck is the complete wordmark outlined in gray??? :blink:

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Well there's a lot of teams that do it that way.

Just off the top of my head...Kings, Lakers, Celtics, Raptors, Suns, etc.

I find it funny how the Warriors partial logo isn't really a true partial! :D Also, the Jazz new wordmark logo isn't on their logosheet, it just shows the secondary logo outlined in gray, and the uniform wordmarks. Where the heck is the complete wordmark outlined in gray??? :blink:

Looks like it's just the wordmark, not an official logo of any kind. When the NBA releases its preferred logo usage the home wordmark will probably be listed as #1.

Well there's a lot of teams that do it that way.

Just off the top of my head...Kings, Lakers, Celtics, Raptors, Suns, etc.

Looks like it's just the wordmark, not an official logo of any kind. When the NBA releases its preferred logo usage the home wordmark will probably be listed as #1.

How does the others do it that way? How can it be considered an ?official logo? when it?s not even on the logosheet?

It is on the logosheet, it's a Uniform Wordmark.

It's not under the category of Secondary logo or anything, but it is on the sheet.

The uniform wordmarks are on there, but those aren't the same if they're missing an element, which in this case is the outline.

The logo I initially recieved and was advised that it was the logo that the Jazz would consider the "official primary" had no outline. I guess they're not going to be using the silver outline at all for their unofficial primary. A good looking set tho, the colors look really good and are unique to the NBA.

This season the NBA has really brought back yellow, after the deperature of the Sonics and update of the Hornets only the Lakers were really left with yellow.

Not to get too ?nit picky? but as a Jazz fan and a perfectionist, I have to point out the following. Look at how sloppy they got with lining all the ball elements up! Yet another example of how my team is LAZY!!! thBangHead.gif

2010-11_Jazz_Note_Ball.png

Yeah, that is kind of lazy, but at the same time you'll never notice that on any products or jerseys.

One thing I dislike about that logo is how the stem of the not doesn't start from the horizontal basketball line but just slightly above it.

Archived