The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

The numbers are bit big, but I like the font they used - they took their customized athletic block that they'd been using and modernized it. The side panels are really cool, and the collar looks very nice too. I'm not crazy about the gigantic alternate logo near the collar, though, they should have kept the triangle with the alt logo in it that they had on the last set. The new fabric mesh pattern looks cool. Overall, great new direction for the Clippers. Hopefully they change their attitude and level of play to go with the changed uniforms, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an LA guy, and have always had a soft spot for the Clippers (though I am a Laker fan), so I really want to like these. I love the overall template and trim--yeah, it's pretty standard stuff for modern NBA uniforms, but it still looks clean and sharp. I also love the new emphasis on blue in the wordmark. It's frustrating because they are SO close, but there's a couple things that just ruin them for me:

- The LAC logo under the front collar is unnecessary.

- The wordmark doesn't need double outlining--blue words with a solid red outline would be just fine. The white space worked better with a red wordmark with blue outline, and also because the blue outlined the entire wordmark, not each individual stroke (example). This way looks unnecessarily busy.

- I'm OK with the numbers being reverse-color, as it gives these a bit of a Dodgers look. But why have solid-outlined numbers and a double-outlined wordmark? Both should have been solid-outline, but at least pick one and stay consistent.

- Also on the numbers, the new font just doesn't mesh with the wordmark the way the old one did. Not saying you need a cursive number font or anything, but the modern numbers don't work with the classic wordmark. Maybe this would look better if the outlines on the numbers and wordmark matched.

The spacing on the number and collar logo also seem off, but I'll hold off judgment until I see them in action. But the mismatched design elements really detract from what is otherwise a huge upgrade. Too bad.

I'm an LA guy, and have always had a soft spot for the Clippers (though I am a Laker fan), so I really want to like these. I love the overall template and trim--yeah, it's pretty standard stuff for modern NBA uniforms, but it still looks clean and sharp. I also love the new emphasis on blue in the wordmark. It's frustrating because they are SO close, but there's a couple things that just ruin them for me:

- The LAC logo under the front collar is unnecessary.

- The wordmark doesn't need double outlining--blue words with a solid red outline would be just fine. The white space worked better with a red wordmark with blue outline, and also because the blue outlined the entire wordmark, not each individual stroke (example). This way looks unnecessarily busy.

- I'm OK with the numbers being reverse-color, as it gives these a bit of a Dodgers look. But why have solid-outlined numbers and a double-outlined wordmark? Both should have been solid-outline, but at least pick one and stay consistent.

- Also on the numbers, the new font just doesn't mesh with the wordmark the way the old one did. Not saying you need a cursive number font or anything, but the modern numbers don't work with the classic wordmark. Maybe this would look better if the outlines on the numbers and wordmark matched.

The spacing on the number and collar logo also seem off, but I'll hold off judgment until I see them in action. But the mismatched design elements really detract from what is otherwise a huge upgrade. Too bad.

What's better...this?

jersey2.jpg

Or one of these?

clips_new_2.jpgclips_new_1.jpg

Why don't they just use double-outlined athletic block for the numbers? Blue numbers outlined in white, then red on the outside, to match the script. Or vice-versa on the blue and red if you'd like. If you're going to make minor changes here and there while otherwise preserving the general spirit of the uniform, don't you have to go for that sort of harmony between elements?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Clippers new uni's - I'd like to see what they look like next to the old ones for a comparison.

Jazz new uni's - Somebody over at JazzFanz board was suggesting that the sneak peek photo on twitter that Deron Williams is in shows the striping pattern on the Jazz uni. WE all knew that but this poster suggest that it will have those stripes going up the sides of the jerseys. Sounds a little strange.

Jersey design minus the wordmark and number, upgrade. Wordmark and number font, downgrade. Why couldn't they just be consistant with their outlining? I like it, otherwise.

Did they darken the blue any? Sure does look a heck of alot like a navy/indigo rather than a darker powder blue (for lack of better words). Or, is it the odd lighting?

That is what I have a problem with I think the roads should be blue. I'm fine with the homes.

They need to go with a blue road uniform, and perhaps use the red jersey as an alternate.

I agree with other posters, though. If they are going to update a uniform, why not make all of the elements consistent? It looks sloppy with the number outline being different from the wordmark.

The mismatching script and number outlines have been a constant element of Clipper uniforms throughout the years. It's "tradition" as some would say on this forum.

So's sucking, and nobody thinks that's a good thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived