Why not green?

cjonesy108

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps the little use of green has to do with the playing surfaces of baseball and football being green.

The simplest answer is usually the best one...and this makes perfect sense.

I agree. Even the National Lacrosse League doesn't have any teams that wear green, not even as a secondary color. The last team to include green in its color scheme in the NLL was the late, unlamented Chicago Shamrox, and it was only a secondary color on their jerseys (black being the primary). On the other hand, five out of the 11 current NLL teams use black and some shade of red as their two main colors, which stand out well against the green carpet.

This brings to mind a thread from awhile back about why the Cleveland Browns used such a dark shade of brown, and I pointed out that if they used a lighter shade it would be too close to the color of the football, and thus be illegal under NFL uniform rules.

CCSLC signature.png

It's interesting though, when the London Knights first came into existence, the person who won the name-the-team contest and designed the logo basically said he picked the green and gold because the Minnesota North Stars uniforms were so sharp and sold so well. If you look at minor hockey teams, someone was once telling me there was a disproportionate number who picked the moniker North Stars and their colour scheme too (though i don't have hard, concrete stats).

There is, however, an academic researcher, Craig Hyatt of Brock University, who was studying Hartford Whaler fans, why they became Whaler fans and what they did afterward. Turns out, it was the green that attracted them. His research, from my understanding, showed that it was right up there behind parent's loyalties and geography as a factor. He and I talked a little bit about North Stars/Stars fans who had Hartford as a second favourite team because of the green, and also the fact that when the Stars kept their identity more fans moved with them to Dallas than the Hurricanes who entirely scrapped the green.

Green has always been my favourite colour and it's the reason I chose the teams I chose too, especially from a young age. I think it's a shame more teams aren't wearing it and I would think it would be more marketable than it has been. Those Chicago Blackhawks St. Patrick's Day sweaters are amazing.

Perhaps the little use of green has to do with the playing surfaces of baseball and football being green.

This would be my unofficial and wildly uneducated guess as well...

One of the complaints about Boise State's smurf turf is that it gives the Broncos an unfair advantage because their all-blue home uniforms blend in with the turf. If blending in with the playing field really were an advantage, then would we actually see a lot of teams wearing a shade of green that matches their grass field?

Maybe the human eye/mind is much better able to distinguish among shades of and/or movements in green than it is able to distinguish among shades of/movements in blue, so that blue provides an advantage and green doesn't. But until I see evidence that this is the case, I'm not going to buy into the blue turf being an advantage because of uniform blend.

I could buy into this theory. I have a hard time watching Boise State home games. I have a hell of a time seeing what's going on.

But I don't think it's the uniforms blending in with the turf so much. I had difficulty watching last year's Humanitarian Bowl, which had Idaho and Bowling Green. It's the turf itself. I think my eyes just don't like seeing blue FieldTurf. Plus, it seems as though there's always some sort of sheen or glare on Boise State's turf that you don't see on other fake fields and I wonder if it's because it's blue. Colors come to the eye as reflections of light and blue reflects differently than green.

This would be my unofficial and wildly uneducated guess as well...

One of the complaints about Boise State's smurf turf is that it gives the Broncos an unfair advantage because their all-blue home uniforms blend in with the turf. If blending in with the playing field really were an advantage, then would we actually see a lot of teams wearing a shade of green that matches their grass field?

Maybe the human eye/mind is much better able to distinguish among shades of and/or movements in green than it is able to distinguish among shades of/movements in blue, so that blue provides an advantage and green doesn't. But until I see evidence that this is the case, I'm not going to buy into the blue turf being an advantage because of uniform blend.

I could buy into this theory. I have a hard time watching Boise State home games. I have a hell of a time seeing what's going on.

But I don't think it's the uniforms blending in with the turf so much. I had difficulty watching last year's Humanitarian Bowl, which had Idaho and Bowling Green. It's the turf itself. I think my eyes just don't like seeing blue FieldTurf. Plus, it seems as though there's always some sort of sheen or glare on Boise State's turf that you don't see on other fake fields and I wonder if it's because it's blue. Colors come to the eye as reflections of light and blue reflects differently than green.

It may well be a anatomical phenomenon. Doing a little more research, apparently the human eye has more rod cells than cone cells, and rod cells are most sensitive to green light. In digital imaging, the Bayer filter, which is almost ubiquitous in digital camera sensors, uses twice as many green pixels as red and blue pixels because this mimics the human eye. At the very least, this means there is a difference in the way we are able to sense and perceive green light as opposed to blue or red light.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Then of course, there's my alma mater:

w07_homecoming_football.jpg

Normally, I'm not a fan of schools using black when its not a school color, yet North Texas and Marshall have always had some of my favorite college unis. They always seem to use black in ways that make the kelly green really (:sigh:) pop.

It's interesting though, when the London Knights first came into existence, the person who won the name-the-team contest and designed the logo basically said he picked the green and gold because the Minnesota North Stars uniforms were so sharp and sold so well. If you look at minor hockey teams, someone was once telling me there was a disproportionate number who picked the moniker North Stars and their colour scheme too (though i don't have hard, concrete stats).

There is, however, an academic researcher, Craig Hyatt of Brock University, who was studying Hartford Whaler fans, why they became Whaler fans and what they did afterward. Turns out, it was the green that attracted them. His research, from my understanding, showed that it was right up there behind parent's loyalties and geography as a factor. He and I talked a little bit about North Stars/Stars fans who had Hartford as a second favourite team because of the green, and also the fact that when the Stars kept their identity more fans moved with them to Dallas than the Hurricanes who entirely scrapped the green.

Green has always been my favourite colour and it's the reason I chose the teams I chose too, especially from a young age. I think it's a shame more teams aren't wearing it and I would think it would be more marketable than it has been. Those Chicago Blackhawks St. Patrick's Day sweaters are amazing.

Fascinating. As I stated before when I was young I was partial to the North Stars and Whalers entirely for their Green Jerseys, Guess I wasnt the only one

Archived