NHL Rebranded

WNDUP FX

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the Canadiens alternate I was talking about, borrowing themes from the Montreal Maroons sweater which I believe is the only style they didn't wear during their Centenary year. The M is topped off with a cross.

canadiensalternate.jpg

The patch features St. Joseph's Oratory, the 3rd largest domed church in the world and a landmark that sits on the side of Mount Royal and can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. It is also a remarkable tribute to the architecture of Montreal and it's Roman Catholic history. The shield emblem is tied off with crossed hockey sticks, a puck and 1909, the year Les Canadiens were founded.

canadienspatch.jpg

I tried the patch on the shoulders, but since I can't recall ever seeing a Canadiens jersey with patches on the shoulder yolks I decided to put it on the other side of the front opposite the Captaincy patch.

C & C welcome.

The Habs wearing anything that looks like the Maroons is like the Islanders going out of business then the Rangers wearing an Islanders inspired jersey 50 year later.

This looks very good (especially the patch) but not very probable.

Has2916 - That's a great analogy.

That being said - This Habs concept is still AMAZING.

I can't wait to see what you do for Toronto (St. Pats) or some of the older Vancouver franchises (I'd love to see a Seattle Millionaires or Portland Rosebuds concept as well!)

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

After reading the history of the Maroons, I'm honestly rather embarrassed to admit that I was unaware the two clubs were rivals and not offsets of each other. Having never lived through that period or done any serious digging into the club prior to the mid 80's, it never occurred to me that Montreal had two teams at the same time. I'm also wondering if a simple recolouring would be in order or whether I should go back to the drawing board and perhaps do a more extensive research session before tackling a rebranding of a team with such history.

No wonder the jersey never made an appearance last year, they simply had no connection. It wasn't my intention to do a historical Original 6 team jersey for any reason other than a fondness for the logo and colour scheme, it's implications into a logo that would better fit the Catholicism of the city combined with a cross and to use a stylized version of a church that I'm simply in awe of.

I won't make any promises regarding previous Toronto or Vancouver based teams, but if I do end up revising designs from historical teams I do promise to make better use of online research supporting their identities.

So after that last blunder, I'm hoping this will help me recover some credibility on here. I'm fully aware that in the current NHL the Home jersey is dark and the Road is light, but I never understood that change and would like to assume that the opposite is the case. I present to you my reworking of the Florida Panthers Home jersey.

panthershome.jpg

And the Away.

panthersaway.jpg

Alternate will be uploaded in the next day or so.

Loving the representation of the animal. Simple, but very strong.

My only advice... it looks more like a tiger? I'm not too sure how you could remedy that using the current color kit, but for some reason I'm not getting "panthers" from the primary.

northstars.jpg

The logo is very nice! I mean, I thought the Panthers were pretty much SOL on new designs, so much so that nobody even tries. That is a really sharp take on it, and definitely a redemption.

The side stripes? big thumbs down. It's the single blight on this otherwise perfect jersey. The RBK fad is ending, I think you should try something a bit more traditional

The sleeve stripes are great, and the shoulder striping is the most original idea yet still acceptable idea i've seen in quite some time. A serious bravo to you on that one. Why hasn't anybody thought of that before?

A really really solid concept

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thus far, the best of these are the Rangers and Canadiens. The Bruins needs a lot of work and the Panthers looks like a downgrade. And not because of the logo's quality, but because it doesn't seem like enough. I think there are too many "head shot" logos out there and they don't do much justice to their team's identity. I think the panther needs a little bit more character. Maybe even include a paw swiping over with scratch marks?

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The logo is very nice! I mean, I thought the Panthers were pretty much SOL on new designs, so much so that nobody even tries. That is a really sharp take on it, and definitely a redemption.

The side stripes? big thumbs down. It's the single blight on this otherwise perfect jersey. The RBK fad is ending, I think you should try something a bit more traditional

The sleeve stripes are great, and the shoulder striping is the most original idea yet still acceptable idea i've seen in quite some time. A serious bravo to you on that one. Why hasn't anybody thought of that before?

A really really solid concept

I really hate the RBK Edge system and how limiting it has become, but it's what's around right now and we're probably going to have to deal with it until Bettman steps down or is fired.

I agree that the side stripes are an issue. Here's a readjustment.

35095_416231749254_502199254_4414947_3768103_n.jpg

good readjustment. The red jersey is just so "meh" though. I'm not entirely sure why. I look at that white jersey and it really pops. It's awesome. Even with the side stripes, it'd be a really solid sweater in the NHL. I think it's the loss of the red shoulders, and the red outline on the logo (that really makes it pop, btw, and it's very different looking), and maybe even the red sleeve stripes. Considering what the Panthers have done for the past few years, try a blue jersey with keeping all the red striping from the white jersey intact. Or, switch all the blue for red on a red jersey, or maybe put white where the red was. I'm not sure what, but the red jersey is lacking something that the white does oh so perfectly

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The leaping panther would look great if you got rid of the white outline on the head. It makes it look like the head is floating in front of the body of the cat.

p.s. On your Canadiens/Maroons mishap, even if the Maroons were still around, they'd never wear that patch or logo- the Canadiens were marketed for the Francophones (predominantly Catholics), and the Maroons were marketed for the Anglophones (largely protestant). In the grand scheme, though, a recolour could work, but you might need to modify the M logo so it's a bit less Maroons and a bit more plain old Montreal.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I'm really thinking I should drop the red Away and replace it with the blue Alternate. I'm not really pushing any boundaries with these jersey, but I think at the very least the logo ideas are getting better.

In case you're wondering, the grey around the edges of the design overlay on a background I'm using for my portfolio.

Regarding your canadiens jersey. Without getting into a full blown debate, im pretty strongly against religious symbols on sports uniforms, especially in pro sports... i think religion should bet kept out of sports in general. just my two cents. purely an ideological comment and not really based on aesthetics. Other than that, its a cool jersey.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Here's the Alternate featuring a leaping panther.

panthersalternate.jpg

The leaping panther is better than just the head, which as noted above looks more like a tiger than a panther. I'd like to see the classic Panthers striping on the jersey though. Not bad and certainly better than the Penguins ripoff 3rd jersey they unveiled last season.

Also, you get bonus points for doing a Panthers concept that doesn't involve the team moving to Ontario, Winnipeg, Quebec City or Hartford.

Archived