New Marlins Stadium Use of Color

marlinfan

Since it is (somewhat) on topic, I emailed the Marlins concerning their new color scheme a couple of weeks ago, and this was their response, unchanged:

Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write to us. Per owners we will not be using out original teal color. The current uniform reflect the direction that we will be taking when in relates to our uniforms colors.

I'm beginning to think that they will still be a primarily black team, with silver and orange trim, but then again, I can't quite decipher the end of that second sentence.

Samson, the team president has stated that they have already changed the original teal color years ago to something darker, so I assume that's what they mean.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Since it is (somewhat) on topic, I emailed the Marlins concerning their new color scheme a couple of weeks ago, and this was their response, unchanged:

Thank you for your comments. We truly appreciate you taking the time to write to us. Per owners we will not be using out original teal color. The current uniform reflect the direction that we will be taking when in relates to our uniforms colors.

I'm beginning to think that they will still be a primarily black team, with silver and orange trim, but then again, I can't quite decipher the end of that second sentence.

Samson, the team president has stated that they have already changed the original teal color years ago to something darker, so I assume that's what they mean.

That's not what they mean. Barring a fan uprising and or someone with some goddamn sense buying the team, they will have totally new colors in 2012.

Also they never changed anything. The teal color, technically "Florida Marlins Blue" according to the official style guide, has always been Pantone 320, from 1993 until now. In 2003 Loria changed the uniforms to the current look, nearly totally devoid of the teal, but the color itself has not changed.

It infuriates me to see these renderings with the fans wearing the current Marlins logo and uniforms knowing the owner(Loria) is going to completely ruin what used to be the most unique identity in baseball.

He insists on slapping orange on every giveaway and on all the marketing simply because he hates teal. The only reason MLB lets him get away with it is because they have kept the primary logo(the only thing in the Marlins identity with orange, note the laces)

uiqyat8zrx40ircpu9begvbwe.gif

on the style guide despite not using it on anything. Orange and black would be retarded considering the Orioles and Giants already being well known users of that scheme, but it would be better than the utter nonsense they probably will use, something that reflects the horrid rainbow and blue seats the new ballpark is going to feature.

I HATE YOU JEFFREY LORIA.

He insists on slapping orange on every giveaway and on all the marketing simply because he hates teal. The only reason MLB lets him get away with it is because they have kept the primary logo(the only thing in the Marlins identity with orange, note the laces)

I would be very surprised if MLB has any say in the colour schemes of individual team giveaway items and marketing campaigns.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It infuriates me to see these renderings with the fans wearing the current Marlins logo and uniforms knowing the owner (Loria) is going to completely ruin what used to be the most unique identity in baseball.

Well, Loria is known to ruin things. Remember the Montreal Expos? :P

I would be very surprised if MLB has any say in the colour schemes of individual team giveaway items and marketing campaigns.

Well that's more or less what is going on. It makes ZERO sense to overwhelmingly feature a color in marketing campaigns to promote a team that is not known for that color at all. Would the Giants have billboards and t-shirts and all kinds of stuff that was purple? Or would the Dodgers run a TV campaign where the primary color theme was red? No. Because it doesn't represent those teams.

But, since orange is technically a Marlins color, Loria gets away with it. I briefly worked in the creative department with the Fish from 2009 to this May and when the 2010 style guide came out, I finally got an explanation of why the primary logo(which we were instructed to never use) was still on the style guide. It's so they could get away with using orange on everything. The owner's hatred of the team's colors and history, basically everything and everyone that was there before he came to town, is why I no longer work for the team. Long story short, it sucks to go in every day and be forced to take part in the trashing of your childhood baseball team.

He probably would have rebranded the club as soon as he came in in 2002 but they always thought the new ballpark was just 3 years away, they they held off on a total revamp and instead basically turned the team grayscale and pumped out a bunch of orange crap(which considering the vast number of empty orange seats at Sun Life Stadium, would be the last thing you'd think they would do). If his taste in "art" for the new stadium is any indication, the Marlins will have the worst identity in baseball come 2012.

I think the Marlins have one of the coolest logos, color sets, and uniforms in baseball, and maybe even pro sports, but they should back off on the black. A road black jersey is fine, but they should balance this out with a home alternate teal jersey, and maybe a teal hat (with a black bill?).

The should hold on to the uniqueness of their set... aren't they the last teal team in baseball? They shouldn't let that go to waste. And it fits their image perfectly.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Oh, no! Somebody blew up the South African flag, and it splattered all over the outside of the new ballpark!

And even for those of us old enough to remember baseball BEFORE Florida had a team or two, a Marlins team sans teal is not a world I wanna live in. Booooooo-urns.

Now on Facebook. And Twitter.

stadium2-1.png

I do like the artist's realistic goal of Marlins attendance in her presentation.

Actually the guy wearing the Ramirez jersey and jorts is there three times.

Ugh, some guy is wearing John Stockton shorts too.

87Redskins.png

Ugh, some guy is wearing John Stockton shorts too.

Its Florida, there's bound to be an older guy in John Stockton shorts.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Archived