Jack Tatum dead at 61

Viper

He had a long career with the Raiders, but will be remembered mainly for his involvement in just two plays: one of the most famous in NFL history ("The Immaculate Reception") and one of the most infamous (the preseason hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley).

Jack Tatum: 1948-2010

CCSLC signature.png

If he had even shown a hint of remorse for the Stingley play, he'd get more than 2 RIPs. Maybe a heart and a prayer. Maybe a condolence or two. Maybe even someone who didn't know him or ever met him would miss him a bit.

Oh well. Sucks that you died, dude.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If he had even shown a hint of remorse for the Stingley play, he'd get more than 2 RIPs. Maybe a heart and a prayer. Maybe a condolence or two. Maybe even someone who didn't know him or ever met him would miss him a bit.

He never showed any remorse for Stingley? I wasn't aware of that. Damn. That's one cold dude.

BB52Big.jpg

That hit will forever mar Tatum's career no matter how good he was, it will forever be the only thing he is remembered for. What always bother me about it is that it was a preseason game, why he would try to knock someone out in an exhibition game is what puzzled me.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

That hit will forever mar Tatum's career no matter how good he was, it will forever be the only thing he is remembered for. What always bother me about it is that it was a preseason game, why he would try to knock someone out in an exhibition game is what puzzled me.

He was an assassin. That's why! You can't kill a mother:censored:er halfway, Frank.

In all seriousness, I'm sure Mr. Assassin didn't have prior knowledge that his hit would leave Stingley paralyzed. Besides, don't we want football players to tear each other apart? Those NFL's Biggest Hits videos are huge sellers.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

He was an assassin. That's why! You can't kill a mother:censored:er halfway, Frank.

In all seriousness, I'm sure Mr. Assassin didn't have prior knowledge that his hit would leave Stingley paralyzed. Besides, don't we want football players to tear each other apart? Those NFL's Biggest Hits videos are huge sellers.

Can we nominate part of a post for post of the day? Judges?

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe, but I think if he would have shown remorse or it had been a regular seaxson game, I think the assasin would have been remembered more fondly and who knows he may even had gooten Hall of Fame consideration.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Maybe, but I think if he would have shown remorse or it had been a regular seaxson game, I think the assasin would have been remembered more fondly and who knows he may even had gooten Hall of Fame consideration.

Maybe he would have, maybe not. We'll never know.

I do think you're right though (and Hell won't even freeze over because it), had he shown any remorse at all, he'd have at least gotten the due his play on the field warranted. But if you act like a assh*le with such callous disregard after inadvertently, accidentally, unintentionally paralyzing a guy, you kind of get what you get. It's a sad situation all around, for real.

In the years following the hit, Tatum attempted to contact Stingley twice. Both times were regarding potential advertising opportunities for the two.

He never showed a bit of remorse, never attempted a shred of an apology. When you paralyze a man and you show zero signs of regret, you deserve to be six feet under. Glad you're gone, chump.

R.I.P. Jack "The Assassin" Tatum.

Pales in comparison to the loss of Tanner1997, who committed suicide, as was reported on a local Tennessee news station.

R.I.P. Tanner1997

May 16, 1997 - July 29, 2010

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

R.I.P. Jack "The Assassin" Tatum.

Pales in comparison to the loss of Tanner1997, who committed suicide, as was reported on a local Tennessee news station.

R.I.P. Tanner1997

May 16, 1997 - July 29, 2010

And... Tanner1997 came back to life as Titanscj2k. Let's see "The Assassin" do that.

BB52Big.jpg

I heard on Boston sports radio, from a sports reporter who covered Oakland back then and moved on to Boston sports later, that there were conflicting reports that Tatum did try to contact Stingley in the weeks following the hit, and that Stingley's family told Tatum that Darryl did not wish to see him. The Stingley's refuted this.

The reporter (name escapes me) also mentioned that in the next Raiders exhibition game, an opponent broke free and was coming toward Tatum, who had him all lined up, but at the last moment he dove low for a leg tackle. The reporter asked him after the game why he did that, and Tatum's response was "I saw Stingley running at me".

He went on to say that the incident did bother Tatum somewhat, and that he did try to contact Stingley again years later.

I dunno....

sig-1.png

Archived