Main event

Middleweight Championship

Anderson Silva © vs. Chael Sonnen

Main card

Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves

Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida

Roy Nelson vs. Junior dos Santos

The thread I posted for 116 was pretty well received, so I figure I'd see what everything thinks of this Saturday's card. I'll refrain from posting my own opinion on the fights. While this card may not be as widely anticipated as 116 was with Brock's return, I think that this is still a huge main event on top of a stacked card. Nelson vs dos Santos is going to be an awesome fight. For anyone who has not heard or seen Chael Sonnen in the last few weeks, I'd recommend checking him out.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

With all the smack Chael Sonnen has been talking, he'd better knock Anderson Silva out. I'm just not sure how he'll succeed where the rest have failed.

Rest of the card looks pretty good, too -- not good enough to make me me drop $60 on the PPV, but, to be fair, I didn't even do that for UFC 100 and its three title fights.

After the God awful perofrmance at 112. Anderson better come prepared to fight. I'm hoping Chael's trash talk got under his skin that he goes back to the days where he took his matches seriously. Plus I hope Chael knocks him off his pedestal.

Other matches

I think Fitch vs Alves is Fight of the Night material but I'm gonna say Fitch for this one. Sure Alves is talented but Fitch is a dark horse to me. Fitch via Submission or decision, winner gets GSP or Josh

Dos Santos vs Nelson: Oh boy, winner is next in line for the Heavyweight belt, loser has to deal with Carwin. Roy is good, man was the only IFL heavyweight champion & he really impressed me in season 10 of TUF but Dos Santos is a monster, he beat Cro Cop, Gonzaga & Yvel. Dos Santos by round 1 via KO

Clay Guida vs. Rafael dos Anjos: I gotta go with Guida.I think he's just a really good fighter.

Matt Hughes vs. Ricardo Almeida: I think Hughes has got a few more fights left in him & he wants to get a hot @ his WW Belt one more time before hanging up the gloves. Ricardo is a student of Renzo Gracie... Hughes wins.

baltimoreravens.png

With all the smack Chael Sonnen has been talking, he'd better knock Anderson Silva out. I'm just not sure how he'll succeed where the rest have failed.

Rest of the card looks pretty good, too -- not good enough to make me me drop $60 on the PPV, but, to be fair, I didn't even do that for UFC 100 and its three title fights.

Drop $60, no. Hit the Buffalo Wild Wings down the street and drop about $15 for wings and drinks, yessir.

Well I mean, it's Anderson Silva. If Silva comes out looking lethargic like he has for his past couple of fights, Sonnen could be looking real smart tomorrow night. But if Silva comes out on his game, Sonnen is gonna get :censored: ed up, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The last time Anderson Silva took a fight seriously, he made Forrest Griffin look like one of those guys you see on Fight Zone on the local FSN channels. Sonnen will get his ass whooped if Silva is on his game. God bless the man for coming with confidence, but he's gonna need all of that & then some if the Spider takes the fight seriously.

Should be a pretty good card, though. Always good to see Roy Nelson fight, especially in a pretty big one at that, and Fitch-Alves should be a damn good bout.

watching the live blog on sherdog..almost wish I would have ordered this.

looks like the Spider is in a fight

my question is if this holds and Chael wins where does GSP go when he dismantles Koscheck and Shields?

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Silva pulled that right out of his ass. Wow.

EDIT: Or did he? WTF is going on?

EDIT 2: He did. Once again, Silva just pulled off a freaking magic trick. That had a Sonnen win written all over it, Sonnen dominated the fight, only to get caught in a triangle only a couple of minutes away from championship victory. Holy crap.

damnit i wanted chael to have that...

props to spider. hope they get a rematch.

I doubt he will get a straight away rematch...why would Anderson want to do that again? I bet the give him Belfort next

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

Major props to Sonnen for actually coming through with a great performance. He dominated every bit of that fight until Silva caught him in the triangle. He had to know that he really needed to bring his A+++ game after all that :censored: he was talking before the fight...and he sure did. Too bad there will not be a rematch any time soon.

Props to Spider for somehow winning that fight. If that isn't a miracle win, I don't know what is. Still can't believe that he pulled out a W in that fight. Unbelievable.

This is why I hate tax free weekend. My work was open a hour later so by the time I would've have gotten to buffalo wild wings, the fights were 3/4's over :(

Man, I was bummed that I missed the fights. I couldn't even fathom the Nelson/Dos Santos fight went to a decision, Hughes won via Submission & Fitch is the #1 contender. The biggest shock of the night was Silva barely surviving & winning the title back. Chael managed to do something that Anderson has needed to do, take the Middleweight division a serious look. He got lucky with that one, but Vitor is waiting for his shot.

I can't wait for 118!!!

baltimoreravens.png

• 3 weeks later...

This is why I hate tax free weekend. My work was open a hour later so by the time I would've have gotten to buffalo wild wings, the fights were 3/4's over :(

Man, I was bummed that I missed the fights. I couldn't even fathom the Nelson/Dos Santos fight went to a decision, Hughes won via Submission & Fitch is the #1 contender. The biggest shock of the night was Silva barely surviving & winning the title back. Chael managed to do something that Anderson has needed to do, take the Middleweight division a serious look. He got lucky with that one, but Vitor is waiting for his shot.

I can't wait for 118!!!

Bump since those who call themselves MMA fans have not.

We are are at UFC 118 at Boston's TD Garden, but event is not sold out.

BJ Penn, please be BJ Penn!

Nate Diaz and his crazy a$$ makes the card.

Archived