Socks & Short Tops

njmeadowlanders

This came up at a BBQ tonight and I know some of you would have a good reason for this so here goes:

Socks:

Why do college players have short socks that only come up near their ankles while leaving their shins and calves exposed as opposed to the NFL where it's knee-high socks?

Jerseys:

In the 80s/90s why did lots of College players wear their jerseys really short, basically exposing their stomachs or the bottoms of an undershirt etc? What was the reasoning behind that? I don't recall any NFL player ever having that...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

As far as the socks go, the NFL madates length, whereas the NCAA doesn't. The only thing you're exposing with shorter socks is your white, bird legs. I know if you watch older college games, they wore knee length socks. As far as the half jersey goes, one it's less to grab onto to hold or tackle your opponent, and two it was probably primarially done because one guy saw another guy do it, so he did it.

This came up at a BBQ tonight and I know some of you would have a good reason for this so here goes:

Socks:

Why do college players have short socks that only come up near their ankles while leaving their shins and calves exposed as opposed to the NFL where it's knee-high socks?

NFL: Appearance. College (my guess): Comfort/temperature.

Jerseys:

In the 80s/90s why did lots of College players wear their jerseys really short, basically exposing their stomachs or the bottoms of an undershirt etc? What was the reasoning behind that? I don't recall any NFL player ever having that...

My memory of that trend is earlier -- the '70s, the same decade of other dubious trends such as jerseys so thin you can see the shoulder pads underneath.

Amos%20Lawrence%20-%20KelvinBryan%20of%20UNC%20celebrate%201980%20National%20Football%20Championship%20Medium%20Web%20view.jpg

no45-griffin-archie.jpg

Packers-2.png

It looks sloppy and unprofessional for players to each have different length socks and different length jerseys, so the NFL has uniform codes requiring these. Some colleges mandate that their players wear high socks, but for the most part, they're not as concerned with maintaining a professional image. Not sure if the NCAA banned cut-off jerseys, but my guess is that it's simply not in style anymore. Either that, or the players prefer the tightness / stretchiness of modern materials which weren't available back in 'da day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It looks sloppy and unprofessional for players to each have different length socks and different length jerseys, so the NFL has uniform codes requiring these. Some colleges mandate that their players wear high socks, but for the most part, they're not as concerned with maintaining a professional image. Not sure if the NCAA banned cut-off jerseys, but my guess is that it's simply not in style anymore. Either that, or the players prefer the tightness / stretchiness of modern materials which weren't available back in 'da day.

I played DI-A FB in the mid-80's. The equipment manager, previous to each weeks game asked us if we wanted a full tuck-in jersey or a non-tuck. They weren't half-jerseys. They came to the top of pants. We had full-length socks. A solid color with a white over top.

I know the 70's and 80's weren't exactly fashionable looking back on it, but if football players thought that looked good...oy...

I always thought there had to have been some other reason...

Well they also wore those "tear away" jerseys, which obviously weren't designed to be tucked in. How those were allowed is beyond me.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Actually my dad bought some of the old tear away jerseys for the Arkansas Razorbacks the year after they outlawed them, and if I remember correctly, those did tuck in. I really think the length had something to do with just being cooler in a temperature since definitely not fashion. There were two lengths as a poster noted. They were not cut off. Socks I am sure are or were the same way. Now, with the new wicking material, there really is no excuse not to look identical. I know a lot of high schools are going to regulation. We see more and more companies actually sponsoring teams and all of this is part of the agreement.

I agree 100%. And the NCAA did ban the cutoff jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As far as the socks go, the NFL madates length, whereas the NCAA doesn't. The only thing you're exposing with shorter socks is your white, bird legs.

My recollection (though I don't have time to verify) is that Bert Bell didn't like seeing the players' bare legs, so he/the NFL mandated knee length socks.

Maybe someone can back me up on this.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived