Padres throwbacks tonight

omnivore

666-Cubs_Padres_Baseball.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

158-153Cubs_Padres_Baseball.sff.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

Thought they looked good and as if they were a bit of a modern take on their old throwbacks or maybe it's just not having seen them for so long they looked fresher.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I have an issue with a team in the heat of a race this late in the season wearing a throwback. "We're two and a half back with 4 games to play, we need to win out from here, and remember when we were 7 games up? Oh well, here's a wacky throwback that we wear at least once a season. That should be fun."

PvO6ZWJ.png

They like to save these jerseys for the Cubs' visit. And the Cubs never play along. I understand why, but it'd be nice to see the blue pullovers again. If they can do the wave at Wrigley Field after all these years, then I guess the wounds of 1984 are wearing off... for some fans.

But I agree that it's a strange choice given their current situation. This loss might have finished them.

I have an issue with a team in the heat of a race this late in the season wearing a throwback. "We're two and a half back with 4 games to play, we need to win out from here, and remember when we were 7 games up? Oh well, here's a wacky throwback that we wear at least once a season. That should be fun."

Exactly my thoughts as well. Do you really want your players thinking about anything other than what they should be focused on? It's just a uniform, but it's still at least a little distraction.

For the fans, isn't the thrill of a pennant race enough? Why the need for gimicks at the end of a season, unless you expect to be horrible? It would be weird to see a team clinch and celebrate in uniforms other than their normal ones.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seriously, they do this to rub it in on the Cubs. And they only visit once a year, so wherever that series lands on the schedule... not saying it's right, but it's just what the Padres have done on and off for the past several years.

I highly doubt any of the Cubs current players are offended by the Padres uniforms, considering many probably weren't even born back then.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If this has been a Thursday night routine all season, then I'm fine with it, and even respect them for not ditching their routine for the sake of an important game.

If this was on a whim, then I think it was a poor decision. If a team is in a race and their postseason depends on how well they do the last weak of the season, then there's no need for throwbacks, whose purpose is to make a not-so-important game more entertaining IMO. It's just a distraction.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

FWIW, they've been wearing the brown and yellow (no orange) throwbacks for Thursday afternoon games.

Exactly, so it's not like they just decided "Hey, let's have a change of pace for the pennant race: Throwback tiem!!!1111!1111bbq!111" this was planned out since the previous offseason, so this would've happened whether they were in a pennant race, eliminated in August, or had their division clinched. It was a year-long promotion, so I don't really see the criticism of the uniform choice as being valid. If they knew that they were wearing the throwbacks for Thursday afternoon games all season, it can be argued that wearing the primary uniforms would've been more of a focus-breaker because then the players would be thinking "Hey wait a second, we're wearing the regular unis for a Thursday afternoon game?! What the hell, where are the throwbacks like they said we'd be wearing?"

That being said...I love the uniform, but I hate the hat.

Archived