United football league

UnclearInitial

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They need to start finding a 6th team if this league wants to stay afloat, I'll admit, finding out Orlando was folding, shocked me. I thought they had a strong fan base & their team was one of the best in the league. I have to agree with Winters, take your time on this one, don't mess this up.

Florida was the only team with attendance under 10,000.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Bumping this up to announce that the Tuskers have merged with the Destroyers and will play in Virginia next year.

And it has begun...I can see one more season at most.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/12/farewell-florida-tuskers/

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

This league, nor will any future American/United/Global or whatever they will call themselves will ever work. When the AFL merged with the NFL there was actual markets that wanted and could support a team. Short of Los Angeles (which seems to be a possible destination of the Vikings, sorry Minnesota) there's only two markets that could support a team... Las Vegas, and San Antonio. Sorry, to rain on any UFL fans here, but this league was doomed from the start due to economic conditions as when comparing 2008-10 to the late 1950's it's like day and night, with America thriving much more so then than it is now.

This league, nor will any future American/United/Global or whatever they will call themselves will ever work. When the AFL merged with the NFL there was actual markets that wanted and could support a team. Short of Los Angeles (which seems to be a possible destination of the Vikings, sorry Minnesota) there's only two markets that could support a team... Las Vegas, and San Antonio. Sorry, to rain on any UFL fans here, but this league was doomed from the start due to economic conditions as when comparing 2008-10 to the late 1950's it's like day and night, with America thriving much more so then than it is now.

Except I don't think the UFL was ever meant to compete with the NFL, thus those comparisons would not be valid. It is meant to compliment the NFL, to be a minor pro league basically.

niagaraq.png

Mark Cuban's HDNet LLC filed a lawsuit on Monday against United Football League founder William Hambrecht and the 1980 Hambrecht Revocable Trust. The lawsuit was filed in order to recoup the $5 million investment Cuban made in the UFL in April of 2010.

According to the lawsuit, Cuban was to be paid back the $5 million by October 6, 2010 with interest set at 1% per annum. Despite demanding payment on said date, no portion of the note was paid. On October 19, 2010, Cuban and UFL Management LLC entered into an agreement under which the league agreed to pay back the $5 million by December 1, 2010 with interest after the original October 6th due date accruing at a rate of 15% per annum. On December 1, 2010, Cuban again demanded payment, but to date no portion of the note has been repaid.

I want this league to work, but I've had serious doubt with the whole Tuskers-to-Virginia, Omaha-Moglia-money (sp?), and now the Mark Cuban Lawsuit issues. It seems as though every negative rumor concerning this league has come true.

Mind you, I don't think it's dead, but some major changes need to happen soon if this league is to be long-term. Looking over at the UFL fans forum, one of the most sensible solutions for the league is to get involved with--maybe even bought out by--the NFL, as a minor league.

With the NFL in talks of expanding the season to 18 games and expanding team rosters, using the UFL as a "D-League" of sorts for the NFL might not be such a bad idea.

I want this league to work, but I've had serious doubt with the whole Tuskers-to-Virginia, Omaha-Moglia-money (sp?), and now the Mark Cuban Lawsuit issues. It seems as though every negative rumor concerning this league has come true.

Mind you, I don't think it's dead, but some major changes need to happen soon if this league is to be long-term. Looking over at the UFL fans forum, one of the most sensible solutions for the league is to get involved with--maybe even bought out by--the NFL, as a minor league.

With the NFL in talks of expanding the season to 18 games and expanding team rosters, using the UFL as a "D-League" of sorts for the NFL might not be such a bad idea.

Fantastic idea.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Except I don't think the UFL was ever meant to compete with the NFL, thus those comparisons would not be valid. It is meant to compliment the NFL, to be a minor pro league basically.

But it won't. The UFL has always wanted to cater to the under-served market who long for professional football, and wanting to play their games in the fall, during the NFL's schedule, is further proof of that. If the UFL survives it will only be because the NFL lockout happens and the 2011 NFL Season is lost, or that they take a deal to become the NFL's minor league. Not to mention the article listed previously further confirms that neither entity wants anything to do with the other. If the UFL wanted to succeed, it should've played it's season in the spring like the USFL, and combined the under-served markets with those of Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York. That would've allowed them to still have major markets to draw in more money from the hardcore football markets and perhaps strike a deal with a major network. As it stands now, unless the NFL truly locks-out, I wouldn't be surprised if the league announces that it has ceased operations shortly after such a story surfaces.

I'm not against any rival leagues forming to better serve football to the masses, but the NFL has possibly cornered every market here in the states, and unless they do what I stated above they're done.

You had Los Angeles, Portland, San Antonio, and even Columbus which would've been good markets for a spring league. Instead, you go with Hartford, Las Vegas, Omaha, Sacramento, and now Virginia... during the fall of all things. That's retarded. It's a miracle they've lasted this long.

Archived