1992-1993 through 1999-2000 Phoenix Suns Logos

TruColor

I have gotten a hold of the official marks for the Phoenix Suns from the 1992-1993 through 1999-2000 era. These were slightly strange graphics, in that they used (what's the correct term?) a dot pattern in order to emulate a gradient effect. The Suns also used three different colors for this gradient - Yellow, Orange and Red.

Primary Logo:

PhoenixSuns_PML1_1993-2000.png

Special Application Logo:

PhoenixSuns_SAL1_1993-2000.png

Partial Logo 1:

PhoenixSuns_PAL1_1993-2000.png

Partial Logo 2:

PhoenixSuns_PAL2_1993-2000.png

I also have uniform graphics for this era as well...

The Dot pattern is considered what's called a "halftone". Popular printing term. It's interesting that they actually used a preset halftone instead of an actual gradient, and had specific details on how to produce the halftone on printed applications....

Oh, and thanks for sharing!

Can we see those uniform graphics, ColorWerx?

I'll post them in the near future.

Do you also have an optimized version of the first primary logo 1968-92?

The only "official" vector I have is a crappy version that was included in one of the NBA Hardwood Classics files. And when I say crappy, I mean really poor.

I have some questions regarding that logo - apparently for at least part of its existence, that particular mark used different colors for the logo vs. the colors used in the uniforms. For example, here's what I've been able to put together color-wise starting in the 1976-1977 season:

PhoenixSuns_FRC_1992_SOL_SRGB.png

Note the light Purple (think the old L.A. Lakers' Light Purple that was only used in the logo and on the court), lighter Orange, and the slightly darker Orange. They used a 10% screen of the Light Purple overlaying the Orange in the basketball in the logo. I'm not sure if this custom color was supposed to represent Copper or not (the colors in this era were often referred to Purple, Orange and Copper), but it was an interesting idea nonetheless. According to the NBA, the darker Purple and darker Orange were used in the uniforms.

I'll also try to post a scan of my 1976 logosheet so you'll see what I mean.

Spectacular! Now if only someone could re-do the old Bucks logo. It looks crummy on every site!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

wow....didn't realize dots could simulate a gradient, but they definitely pulled it off....

Halftones are a standard procedure in printing, on every format across the board. Working for a screen printing company, you'd be suprised how much stuff goes specifically into those tiny "dots" :lol:

Archived