Redesigning the Blue Jackets 3rds in under 5 mins

nash61

I seriously did this in about 5 minutes. Was it really that hard, Columbus?

CBJ3rd.png

Thoughts?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

But without the red it looks similar to every other navy blue third. I like it. It looks a lot better than the current one, though I did like the silver piping

My bad on that one, I meant to leave the silver piping in, but didn't want to take the time. My second version will have it for sure, though.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm glad they left red out of their alternate. With red it looks too similar to their exisiting home jersey.

You can't seriously think that the above concept looks ANYTHING like their current jerseys, can you?

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm glad they left red out of their alternate. With red it looks too similar to their exisiting home jersey.

You can't seriously think that the above concept looks ANYTHING like their current jerseys, can you?

I can seriously think that. I'm just saying I'm glad they left out the red because it distinguishes their alternate jersey from their primary home jersey. If they are going to have two jerseys of the same color, they should at least make them look unique from each other, and one way to do that is to avoid using all of the same colors for both jerseys.

The Boston Celtics did it (with black), the Houston Rockets did it (with yellow), and now the Blue Jackets have done it (with red).

This is true not only from a "this jersey is different from the other one we wear, so it has a reason to exist" standpoint, but also from a marketing standpoint. Fans would be less likely to buy a third jersey that looks too similar (i.e. is the same main color, and uses all the same trim colors) to an existing primary jersey.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Columbus doesn't want to use red in their uniforms because they don't want to be affiliated with the Ohio State Buckeyes.

When I see the red in the Blue Jackets jerseys, I don't think Ohio State, I think America and the Union Army. If they were entirely red, I can see the problem with that, but not as an accent.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Columbus doesn't want to use red in their uniforms because they don't want to be affiliated with the Ohio State Buckeyes.

When I see the red in the Blue Jackets jerseys, I don't think Ohio State, I think America and the Union Army. If they were entirely red, I can see the problem with that, but not as an accent.

But Union Army uniforms didn't contain any red. Literally, none.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Union Army uniforms also did not have white shoulder yokes.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I nominate this for Quote of the Day.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

The union army uniforms didnt have skates either.

Why do we need to take things so literally? The union army uniform is nothing more than an influence.

My point exactly. Where's the red?

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I nominate this for Quote of the Day.

Seconded.

I really don't mean to thread-jack, but I think finding the compromise between everyone, and what would personally be my preferred fix, would be this:

columbusbluejacketsthirdfix.jpg?t=1290744004

Keep both blues, which I think is a nice touch, has similarities to their current looks, and eliminates the complaint of "no contrast". Also, there's vintage white, which I think we all can agree doesn't need to be there.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

CBJThird.png

Here's my cleaned up version.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Any sort of modeling after military uniforms is rather gauche. Unless you're the Brampton Battalion and you enter the ice through an inflatable tank from a party rental. Then it's cute!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived