Real or Fake?

zinman11121

Can anyone tell me if this jacket is authentic or a knockoff? I know it's hard to tell just by this picture and because of how "old" this jacket is really is. This is a picture a friend (a White Sox fan) of mine posted on facebook and he thinks he's badass that he got this jacket at goodwill for $7 and is eager to resell it on eBay. I told him I thought it was fake because of the "CUBS" written on the cubby bear's forehead, and there is something about the stripes on the elastic bands that just makes me think it's a fake. Let me know your input, thanks!

166389_10100383418772569_6809413_63779713_6592887_n.jpg

Zach.

looks fake

Without elaboration, this comment is worthless.

zinman - what do you mean by "authentic"? It's a very ambiguous term. Do you mean "worn on field"? Or do you mean "officially licensed"? I'm not an expert on these things, but it would really help if some of the labels were visible.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I was hoping to see some titties here, I guess that's what I get for not reading the subtitle.

We could pretty easily turn this into a titty thread...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

looks fake

zinman - what do you mean by "authentic"? It's a very ambiguous term. Do you mean "worn on field"? Or do you mean "officially licensed"? I'm not an expert on these things, but it would really help if some of the labels were visible.

Exactly.

If he's asking if it looks like some broke-ass Wal-Mart excuse for team gear then, based on what little info is available, I would lean towards yes.

BB52Big.jpg

looks fake

Exactly.

If he's asking if it looks like some broke-ass Wal-Mart excuse for team gear then, based on what little info is available, I would lean towards yes.

I'd love to see tags too. For some reason, the "Cubs" on the forehead doesn't look all that out of place to me - meaning that they could have sold something like that back in the day at K-Mart or Venture (another long out of business cheap-ass department store). In other words, just because it's old doesn't make it a good coat.

Also, is it me or do the sleeves look a little funny? Too long? The cuffs a bit weird? Tags, need pics of the tags...

I know some Cubs merch way back when included the word Cubs on the head of the "madcub," so the patch may very well be authentic. I bought my share of those patches (w/ & w/o words) on eBay until they too became flooded with purple foreign knockoffs. I was never a fan of the ones with lettering, but I figured they could be "fixed" if absolutely necessary for a DIY jersey.

My issue is with the trim. The striping pattern is unlike any I recall for the Cubs. The Starter jackets back then were a simple red-white-blue. It could be a cheap jacket from the '80s, but based on my experience (and without seeing the tags) I'd lean toward real patch slapped on any old blue jacket.

Considering that you once posted that you'd like to blow yourself in a concept thread, yeah, I bet you could do this pretty easily.

Well, he is the only person who lives up to his standards. It would only make sense that he'd want to blow himself.

BB52Big.jpg

Considering that you once posted that you'd like to blow yourself in a concept thread, yeah, I bet you could do this pretty easily.

Well, he is the only person who lives up to his standards. It would only make sense that he'd want to blow himself.

I actually don't remember that one... not that I doubt that I said it though. Back in the day, facemasks were gray. Why? Not because teams thought that the gray went with their main colors, but because the technology didn't exist to make facemasks in different colors. Now we have yellow, black, navy, red, etc. Using your hand is like wearing a gray facemask. If the technology was available to do it another way, you wouldn't do it? It only seems weird to us because we've never known any different. You can be like the Cardinals keep your dumb out-of-place gray facemasks, but me? I'm going cardinal red. All night long.

I actually don't remember that one... not that I doubt that I said it though. Back in the day, facemasks were gray. Why? Not because teams thought that the gray went with their main colors, but because the technology didn't exist to make facemasks in different colors. Now we have yellow, black, navy, red, etc. Using your hand is like wearing a gray facemask. If the technology was available to do it another way, you wouldn't do it? It only seems weird to us because we've never known any different. You can be like the Cardinals keep your dumb out-of-place gray facemasks, but me? I'm going cardinal red. All night long.

Nice try but any way you shake it, wanting to blow yourself is just plain weird dude. I will say this though, your contrasts make you one of the more interesting people around here. One minute you're writing a very articulate post about suicide or something and the next you're explaining why you want to suck your own :censored:. You're an interesting character study Vet.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived