Reported Potential Wha Team Names...

Brian in Boston

It's the metro area. Of course they're going to be called Detroit. You'd really expect them to be the Auburn Hills Pistons, or have been the Pontiac Lions?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the metro area. Of course they're going to be called Detroit. You'd really expect them to be the Auburn Hills Pistons, or have been the Pontiac Lions?

yep.....if you lived in detroit you might understand.....i grew up in the city, saw over a million people move to the suburbs in my lifetime, watched the Pistons move, the Lions move (only to redeem themselves and move back). heard countless people from the 'metro area' dog detroit. watched the auto companies move their headquarters to the suburbs and shoot down countless light rail and mass transit options that would allow inner city workers a means to get to their jobs outside of the city. Detroit has a seperate bus system from the suburbs because there is a negative connotation that the people (85% black) from the city are going to cause havoc on their pristine crystal clear suburbs. What they don't realize is that without Detroit, they wouldn't exist. Oakland County wouldn't be the 3rd wealthiest county in the nation.

i just realized that i am rambling and way off topic....sorry. i love detroit!

The exact same thing is going on in Atlanta. All the good and bad of that.

The teams, unfortunately stayed in town. But the rest is the same, separate rail/bus systems, the bias, the holyer-than-thou attitude.

I'm betting its a lot like that all over.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

There are bus systems in Detroit? *heh* I figured the car companies would have tried to kill them all off by now.

I've heard a lot of the same things from a friend who's a lifetime Detroit-area resident. Hell, I've ridden in his vehicle down Woodward, which is an entertaining ride to say the least.

(And I've ridden the DPM in a Blues jersey. Now there's risking life and limb! ;) )

But, no, there's no way those teams suddenly take on suburban names. Detroit metro is still Detroit metro, no matter how disjointed.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

(And I've ridden the DPM in a Blues jersey.  Now there's risking life and limb! ;) )

actually the only people that ride the DPM (Detroit People Mover) are tourists and people going to wings games...

The People Mover was originally supposed to follow Woodward Ave. from Hart Plaza to downtown Pontiac, until that plan was shot down at the 11th hour by Oakland County officials. It is viewed as a huge failure on former mayor Coleman Young's part, but in reality it was a broken agreement by the Oakland County officials that led to its demise.

If anyone wants to read about Detroit, there are 2 books that i suggest:

1. Devils Night: and other true tales of Detroit by Zev Chafets

and

2. Hard Stuff: The Autobiography of Coleman Young

both great reads and insights on how this once great city (still great to me) became a shadow of its former self.

oh yeah, i wouldn't mind the team name being the Michigan (Insert Name Here)s, much like the Michigan Panthers, who also played in Pontiac.

oh yeah, i wouldn't mind the team name being the Michigan (Insert Name Here)s, much like the Michigan Panthers, who also played in Pontiac.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd bring back the Michigan Stags name if they were bringing back the Toronto Toros.

When the Whalers were talking about moving to the Palace, I wanted them to become the Michigan Lakers ('cause I couldn't think of a better Michigan-themed name at the time). Not that that's really related to anything.

So I was going to buy detroitdaredevils.com and tell them they could only have the domain if they hired me to do the work on it. Good or bad idea?

Yeah, I was hoping they'd bring back the Michigan Stags name if they were bringing back the Toronto Toros.

When the Whalers were talking about moving to the Palace, I wanted them to become the Michigan Lakers ('cause I couldn't think of a better Michigan-themed name at the time). Not that that's really related to anything.

So I was going to buy detroitdaredevils.com and tell them they could only have the domain if they hired me to do the work on it. Good or bad idea?

good idea.

i think teams should stay in the center of a city as to be equally accessable from all sides of the suburbs. i mean, the redskins playing at FedEx field in Landover is great for the skins fans in MD, but us Virginians have to go twice as far as if they still played at good ol RFK.

meh, just a thought

Azzuri.gif

The teams, unfortunately stayed in town. But the rest is the same, separate rail/bus systems, the bias, the holyer-than-thou attitude.

Having lived in Milwaukee and Atlanta, I can say that's a very eerily similar description of the former. Atlanta still has a LOT going for it.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

Howcome they haven't thought of putting a team in Windsor? Not only is it a Canadian city, but it's still in close proximity to "HockeyTown, USA". Talk about having the best of both worlds...

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

I disagree... In Atlanta, a ton of people are moving back into the city. There's upscale lofts everywhere, high rise condos, trendy renovated neighborhoods. In my opinion, more people are probably moving into the city than are moving out of it.

You are right about the rail system, though. It's idiotic, practically segregation all over again, but I think overall the trend is changing in Atlanta. People are sick of the suburban sprawl we've become.

I think it's a godsend all the Atlanta teams are based downtown. (Not everybody wants to commute 2 hours both ways. :D )

Are you privy to inside info, Chris? Or just anticipating that the league's heirarchy will lack taste?

If I were a fan in one of the announced cities, I wouldn't get my hopes up... that the teams even take the ice.

Brian in Boston

privy per usual, i've seen a couple

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Just a slight bump-ola...

But I'm also wondering why the thread that CC linked to is now gone. The reason I bring it up is because I put together a 2004 Toros concept using the new logo, and I'd love to post it. But... I don't want to get CC or myself in any (further?) trouble. Thoughts? :therock:

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Archived